The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will not hurt this team to miss the playoffs and draft well

*Buzzsaw*

Conversely it would also not hurt to make the playoffs and get these young guys some meaningful April games. At least not as bad as people make it seem. It sucked in the first year of Willie's time when we made it, cause we had so many older players it was really just a year lost of rebuilding. Making the playoffs this year in my opinion would not be terrible. Since we have so many younger guys in comparison to 2014-15. When really the only young guy of note was Bo.

Edit: Not a bad year for me as a fan. We miss out on playoffs, good pick in a pretty good draft. Make the playoffs, these young guys get to play big boy games in April. Even if just a round or two. To be honest a top 10 pick would be preferred for me. Since I think we need one more "top" prospect. Boeser was an absolute steal of a pick and I consider him a elite prospect/rookie but we shouldn't expect/hope all mid to late 1st round picks to be like that. Even with Benning's good (seemingly) drafting instincts

15 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Oh, you think that, if the draft was held again today, that Virtanen and Juolevi would both go top-6???

Ummm, no.  Virtanen probably wouldn't even go in the 1st round and Juolevi wouldn't go in the top 10.

You might want to re-evaluate the average first rounder. Virtanen is on pace to become a great checking forward with a pinch of offense. In a re-draft, those players are usually in the early 20s.

It's far to early to tell for Juolevi, but he's doing well in Finland's best league so far.

12 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Oh, you think that, if the draft was held again today, that Virtanen and Juolevi would both go top-6???

Ummm, no.  Virtanen probably wouldn't even go in the 1st round and Juolevi wouldn't go in the top 10.

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi and Petterson are actually his 2 top picks, both of whom are presently killing it in their respective mens leagues and on pace to meet/break records.

That ^^ is what I think.

OJ would still go top 10 IMO and it's only been a whopping 1.5 years from the draft. FAR too early to be making any conclusions as to who should be going where in a redraft. Draft +5 and you might have something and by then I expect we see OJ looking like a very good, young, NHL D.

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Ummm, top-6 picks have roughly a 70% or better chance of becoming stars in the NHL, so whiffing 2 out of 3 isn't very good at all.

I’m sorry but where did you pull that number out of?

Virtanen is the only early round pick that Benning has messed up on, but it was apparently under a lot of pressure from ownership. Pettersson looks like an absolute steal and I still think that Juolevi was a great pick as well. He has had even more success not right at the top of the draft with guys like Boeser, Demko, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette and Lockwood all looking like steals.

I would not mind the Canucks making the playoffs this year because it would be great for some of their younger players to get some more playoff experience before the next wave of prospects (Pettersson, Juolevi, Demko, Gaudette etc.) make it to the NHL.

Canucks playoff experience:

Henrik Sedin - 105 games

Daniel Sedin - 102 games

Alex Edler - 65 games

Thomas Vanek - 63 games

Loui Eriksson - 34 games

Brandon Sutter - 33 games

Michael Del Zotto - 32 games

Chris Tanev - 16 games

Erik Gudbranson - 13 games

Sam Gagner - 11 games

Bo Horvat - 6 games

Markus Granlund - 3 games

Sven Baertschi - 2 games

Derrick Pouliot - 2 games

Jacob Markstrom - 0 games

Anders Nilsson - 0 games

Brock Boeser - 0 games

Ben Hutton - 0 games

Troy Stecher - 0 games

Jake Virtanen - 0 games

Brendan Gaunce - 0 games

Alexander Burmistrov - 0 games

Michael Chaput - 0 games

Nic Dowd - 0 games

Nikolay Goldobin - 0 games

Alex Biega - 0 games

12 of the 26 players on their roster have never played in an NHL playoff game including both of their goalies. And only 7 players have played more than 16 playoff games and 3 of these players likely won`t be back next year. Though all the great offensive d-men at the top of the draft are very tantalizing, I would rather the Canucks make the playoffs and get some experience because Jim Benning can probably find us a great player later in the 1st round anyways

It would hurt more to make the playoffs, ufas wouldn’t be sold off since a “playoff push” would happen. A higher draft position and ufas walking for free in the summer and for what 4 extra games. Regardless of the standing I hope  managment sells the pending ufas and any vets that can move.

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Benning is pretty inconsistent at drafting.  He has gotten some real gems in Boeser and Demko but he's whiffed on his top two picks.  I hope the best for Virtanen and Juolevi but a lot of people weren't happy at the time, and for good reason.

Pettersson should make up for Virtanen and Juolevi but it still stings, for me especially the Juolevi pick given what Sergechev, MaCovoy and even Chychrun have accomplished so far, not to mention MT who is a dick player but still a good one and what Keller is doing this year...the  lottery boned us big time though. Yes Juolevi may still pan out but both players have some catching up to do for Benning to come up looking ok on his high first picks.

Pettersson is killing it right now which is promising, and Juolevi is doing well too...next year we shall see where the chips fall.

The season has already been a success for me, regardless of what happens going forward.

Young guys taking bigs steps this year is what I've been waiting for. Add to this the huge steps our young guns in Europe and in the CHL and all in all, everything is finally moving in the right direction.

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

And Boeser would go in the top 6.

Pettersson would go in the top 3.

31 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

And Boeser would go in the top 6.

Pettersson would go in the top 3.

OK, so let's add that up...

Boeser:  chosen 23rd - now valued 6 = a rise of 17 spots

Pettersson:  chosen 5th - now valued 3 = a rise of 2 spots

Juolevi:  chosen 5th - now valued 10th to 12th = a fall of 5 to 7 spots

Virtanen:  chosen 6h - now valued 25th to 35th = a fall of 19 to 29 spots

That's a average loss almost 3 spots per selection!  That's turning all your 5th overalls into 7th and 8th overalls.

5 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

That's a average loss almost 3 spots per selection!  That's turning all your 5th overalls into 7th and 8th overalls.

Yeah, that's what it's like :rolleyes:

Also, you're failing to take into account the significance of Pettersson's bump from 5 to 3 (and an argument can be made that he could have been picked 2nd OA). A jump from 5th to 2nd or 3rd is a lot more significant than a bump from, say, 25th to 22nd.

Context.

Juolevi and Petterson are actually his 2 top picks, both of whom are presently killing it in their respective mens leagues and on pace to meet/break records.

Just to point out...

Here are the top-6 picks from Juolevi's draft:

1.  Matthews - currently KILLING IT in the NHL, the #1 ranked league.

2.  Laine - currently KILLING IT in the NHL, the #1 ranked league.

3.  Dubois - currently 1st line center in the NHL, the #1 ranked league.

4.  Puljujarvi - currently playing OK in the NHL, the #1 ranked league.

5.  Juolevi - currently playing very well in the Liiga, the #5 ranked league.

6.  Tkachuk - currently KILLING IT in the NHL, the #1 ranked league.

Every single player is playing 4 leagues above Juolevi right now, and three of them are major stars (4 if you count Dubois, who's playing great right now).  So don't go pretending that playing well in the Czech league is somehow as good as starring in the NHL.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, that's what it's like :rolleyes:

Also, you're failing to take into account the significance of Pettersson's bump from 5 to 3 (and an argument can be made that he could have been picked 2nd OA). A jump from 5th to 2nd or 3rd is a lot more significant than a bump from, say, 25th to 22nd.

Context.

You are forgetting Virtanen's drop from 6 to out-of-the-first-round!

We can actually look up what these values are...

Going from 5 to 3 is 6.75 to 7.06, or a rise of 0.31 points.

Dropping from 6 to 30th is 5.63 to 3.48, or a fall of 2.15 points. 

2.15 >>>>>>>>>>>> 0.31

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Benning is pretty inconsistent at drafting.  He has gotten some real gems in Boeser and Demko but he's whiffed on his top two picks.  I hope the best for Virtanen and Juolevi but a lot of people weren't happy at the time, and for good reason.

to be fair

he is a vast improvement at drafting over the previous couple regimes

we actually have draft picks that can play in the nhl

his success rate dwarfs what we saw previously

11 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Just to point out...

Here are the top-6 picks from Juolevi's draft:

1.  Matthews - currently KILLING IT in the NHL, the #1 ranked league.

2.  Laine - currently KILLING IT in the NHL, the #1 ranked league.

3.  Dubois - currently 1st line center in the NHL, the #1 ranked league.

4.  Puljujarvi - currently playing OK in the NHL, the #1 ranked league.

5.  Juolevi - currently playing very well in the Liiga, the #5 ranked league.

6.  Tkachuk - currently KILLING IT in the NHL, the #1 ranked league.

Every single player is playing 4 leagues above Juolevi right now, and three of them are major stars (4 if you count Dubois, who's playing great right now).  So don't go pretending that playing well in the Czech league is somehow as good as starring in the NHL.

You're comparing two franchise caliber prospects picked 1 and 2 to Juolevi.

Didn't know 13 points in 30 games was first line centre production.

Poolparty's been between AHL and NHL and is very up and down in his play.

Tkatchuk, Keller, McAvoy and Sergachev are all solid picks picked after and making impacts right now, but remember, it isn't about who makes the show first, it's about the long-run. Juolevi's developing well, let him keep getting better and come in prepared to make an impact when he does.

I've posted about this before, but you gotta realize, although it seems Jake isn't the best pick we could've made, at least he's developing into a solid NHL player who could make an impact on our team. EVERY team has their hits and misses at the draft, hindsight is 20/20.

Benning is not inconsistent at drafting, polar opposite actually, he's drafting at least two (or potentially 2) NHL players per draft, that's extremely good drafting. Heck, he drafted 5 NHL players in his first draft.

If you wanna prove a point, at least be realistic about it.

42 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

wonderful

so why don't you list the other nhl teams

that have done significantly better then the canucks

and have hit on all of their high draft picks

i'm thinking benning is in the top 1/3 of the league when it comes to drafting

so easy to criticize without adding context

Archived