Canucks Community

Pettersson Horvat Boeser - You call it.

fanfor42

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Kane, Pettersson, Boeser 

Dahlen/Goldobin, Horvat, Virtanen 

Gadjovich, Gaudette, Lind 

Good luck other teams. 

And what if Kane doesn't wind up here for next season? What if he is lured by a team which is already a contender, rather than face another stint with a rebuilding team which is showing a lot of promise of being a contender?

Who then becomes 1LW, and so on down the lines? Are Dahlen and Goldobin enough to fill that gap, or do you place (the absent from your line up) Baertschi in that role?  :)

regards,  G.

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Going into this season, this is what I thought would happen.  Then Pettersson lit up the SHL exceeding everybody's expectations.  

Benning has recently said that he hopes that Pettersson will make the Canucks next year.  He may well do that.  I'd like to think that they won't be rushing the kid.  He's only 165 does this make it foolish to insert him into the line up?  It depends on how slippery he is.  I don't see Gaudreau (listed at 157) hammered physically very often.  There are big time and space differences between Europe and North America.

Pettersson is going to be a play making centre.  It makes sense to pair him with a finisher (Boeser?) and a power forward who can create space (Virtanen?  Gadjovich?)

This would be a case of me being happy to have my expectations exceeded. 

regards,  G.

2 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

And what if Kane doesn't wind up here for next season? What if he is lured by a team which is already a contender, rather than face another stint with a rebuilding team which is showing a lot of promise of being a contender?

Who then becomes 1LW, and so on down the lines? Are Dahlen and Goldobin enough to fill that gap, or do you place (the absent from your line up) Baertschi in that role?  :)

regards,  G.

We've got Baer, Pettersson, Goldobin and Dahlen all as potential top 6 LW'ers (not to mention more drafts, trades and free agents) if we can't lure Kane.

Not worried. 

Teams are now moving to having three strong scoring lines because it's so much easier to defend a one line team vs a multiple line team.

Green always talks of team concept - he is thinking about outscoring opponents and not about individual success.  Pettersson-Boeser makes sense only if they can outscore what they will be losing on the other lines.  

Fwiw Benning has always said that Pettersson will be a C for the Canucks.  Again last month he said that it was so important to draft him because they had scoring wingers (eg Dahlen, Lind) but were missing a playmaking C.  

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We've got Baer, Pettersson, Goldobin and Dahlen all as potential top 6 LW'ers (not to mention more drafts, trades and free agents) if we can't lure Kane.

Not worried. 

I wouldn't say that I'm worried, but that being said, only one of those guys has had any substantial NHL time, and some people here (not me) view Baertschi as barely being a top-6 winger. As with the idea of Kane coming here, when/if they get here is when I include him/them in the conversation, meaning that they actually play a full season at the NHL level. Anything else is discussing potential. I'm optimistic, but also realistic.

Also, I view Pettersson playing as a LW rather than a C as a step back for the Canucks (this assumes an ongoing deployment, not some spot duty on special teams etc.).

regards,  G.

48 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Pettersson is going to be a play making centre.  It makes sense to pair him with a finisher (Boeser?) and a power forward who can create space (Virtanen?

This is what I came here to say!  And I'm tipping Jake to join Petterson for a different reason; to be a forceful pair on the fore check, stealing pucks, and heading up ice! :frantic:

Then imagine these 3 shots on the ice at the same time? Lind another candidate. Gadgy when you want a net front presence. 

Jake Elias Brock

Book it!

56 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I wouldn't say that I'm worried, but that being said, only one of those guys has had any substantial NHL time, and some people here (not me) view Baertschi as barely being a top-6 winger. As with the idea of Kane coming here, when/if they get here is when I include him/them in the conversation, meaning that they actually play a full season at the NHL level. Anything else is discussing potential. I'm optimistic, but also realistic.

Also, I view Pettersson playing as a LW rather than a C as a step back for the Canucks (this assumes an ongoing deployment, not some spot duty on special teams etc.).

regards,  G.

Well of course it's all 'potential'. Comes with the territory of a rebuilding team, we won't have what we have until we have it.

But a top 6 W'er is probably the easiest 'big' piece to find whether that's via draft, trade or free agency. We already have prospect options pending them working out, more drafts upcoming for further prospect options, a solid option IMO in targeting hometown boy Kane this summer, other future UFA's and there's always the possibility of a trade as well.

IMO, Baer's only here until one of Goldy/Dahlen take his spot but (while streaky), he does produce at borderline 1st/2nd line points/60. 

I'd imagine Petterson probably starts off in the NHL on wing FWIW. Sure it's 'less ideal' if he ends up staying there over the next 2-3 years rather than move to C but a potential top 6 like the OP's as follows wouldn't be the end of the world either:

Petterson, Horvat, Boeser

Dahlen, Gaudette, Virtanen/Lind/Goldobin

...with the potential for prospects/ future draftees, trades or UFA's to  take one of those top 6 spots still. 

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well of course it's all 'potential'. Comes with the territory of a rebuilding team, we won't have what we have until we have it.

But a top 6 W'er is probably the easiest 'big' piece to find whether that's via draft, trade or free agency. We already have prospect options pending them working out, more drafts upcoming for further prospect options, a solid option IMO in targeting hometown boy Kane this summer, other future UFA's and there's always the possibility of a trade as well.

IMO, Baer's only here until one of Goldy/Dahlen take his spot but (while streaky), he does produce at borderline 1st/2nd line points/60. 

I'd imagine Petterson probably starts off in the NHL on wing FWIW. Sure it's 'less ideal' if he ends up staying there over the next 2-3 years rather than move to C but a potential top 6 like the OP's as follows wouldn't be the end of the world either:

Petterson, Horvat, Boeser

Dahlen, Gaudette, Virtanen/Lind/Goldobin

...with the potential for prospects/ future draftees, trades or UFA's to  take one of those top 6 spots still. 

Not saying that you are wrong, however, that is a lot of potential/what if/wouldn't it be great if on that 2nd line.

Chickens. Eggs.

regards,  G.

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

Not saying that you are wrong, however, that is a lot of potential/what if/wouldn't it be great if on that 2nd line.

Chickens. Eggs.

regards,  G.

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's the business end of a rebuild. If there was certainty and guys already confirmed NHL players, the rebuild would be largely 'done'. It is not.

I think I'd be more tempted to pair Virtanen with Horvat in the longer run.   Speed to kill, deadly transition game - that will also shut you down.

And perhaps more of a playmaking center with Boeser.

Goldobin/Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Petttersson Granlund Boeser

A playmaking winger for Bo and Jake,

Two playmakers (who can also bury it, to take the key off Boeser)  to feed, feed, feed Brock all day long....

Sub Dahlen in there if he beats Goldobin or Baertschi to the punch, but that would be the way I lean.

And then you have a Sedin line if they return - and a Gaunce-Sutter shutdown/matchup line.

If the Sedins don't decline in the short run, that gives you two solid scoring lines, them as a third/secondary scoring line, and a legit shutdown line, with the Horvat line (with he and Virtanen) also built for hard minutes / able to face any matchups you need them to - and can counterpunch to deadly effect.

that's the best positive spin I got.

but that's not a disagreement with using Horvat between Pettersson and Boeser - he could anchor them nicely and that load up line could be absolutely lethal.

I do think there'd be an expiration date on using Pettersson on the wing though - he's probably this team's 1C in due course with he and Horvat being the Hank/Kesler one two this team thrived on in the contending years.

I've warmed up to the idea of having the twins back next year. I think next season is the right time for us to push to the playoffs again and this team is always decimated by injuries throughout the year. Having two very durable veterans playing limited minutes when everyone is healthy, and taking larger roles when the inevitable injury bug hits sounds positive to me. 

I think a push to the post season next year is very likely. If we have injuries like we do now and no Sedins, that'll sink our season for sure.

Boesser is a success story because he was properly developed.  I can't imagine Petersson or Dahlin going straight to NHL next year.  It isn't a lack of skill, it is maturity.  Horvat was freak of nature who was both physically and mentally ahead of development.   Not many players can do what Bo did, and European players have the additional learning challenges of adapting to NHL size ice.  Vancouver would very likely want a season of AHL hockey for these two. 

The only rookies I see as NHL ready for next year would be Guadette and Juolevi.  But even those two will have to earn it.

Archived