The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vape-shaped asteroid passing Earth could be a vast alien spaceship, say scientists

J-23

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

Part of me hopes they detect nothing and determine it is nothing but a poo shaped rock. People here have a hard enough time dealing with Earth issues, let alone extraterrestrial ones. 

It might just bring us together as a planet if something this huge gets dropped in our collective laps. I doubt they find anything.

5 hours ago, Green Building said:

Part of me hopes they detect nothing and determine it is nothing but a poo shaped rock. People here have a hard enough time dealing with Earth issues, let alone extraterrestrial ones. 

Even if they detect something, I doubt they'll actually tell us..

Really hope I live long enough to see evidence of extraterrestrial life, and how religions handle the ramifications.

Pretty well destroys the foundations for most of them, wouldn't it?

Suppose that only happens if it's highly developed intelligent life. If it's just bacteria, then they will probably just ignore it.

11 minutes ago, Hobble said:

Really hope I live long enough to see evidence of extraterrestrial life, and how religions handle the ramifications.

Pretty well destroys the foundations for most of them, wouldn't it?

Suppose that only happens if it's highly developed intelligent life. If it's just bacteria, then they will probably just ignore it.

They'll just say it's a lie and a test from Satan, like they do with dinosaur fossils or proof of how old the world is.

On 12/14/2017 at 2:52 PM, aliboy said:

It might just bring us together as a planet if something this huge gets dropped in our collective laps. I doubt they find anything.

That's a possibility, although I don't think it would be as powerful as we'd like to think for any group of people besides scientists. The reality is that we still have to go to work tomorrow so it's quite likely that most people would "move on" after a short period of time, sometime after the initial novelty of finding the evidence of intelligent life wears off. There's no doubt it would have a profound impact, but I'd still be worried about Trump and North Korea even if it does turn out to be a visiting craft.

Whether we're a submarine running silent, or a black ops agent gone dark, we possess the ability to be pretty silent when we want to be. I find it to be particularly hopeful to believe that a species advanced enough to travel across galaxies wouldn't also know how to remain undetected, aside from it's mass, should it desire to do so. For all we know it collected all the data it needed before it slingshot around our sun and turned the instruments off.  

I also doubt they find anything, other than it being an oddly shaped meteoric rock.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:57 PM, J-23 said:

Even if they detect something, I doubt they'll actually tell us..

If it were the military, then maybe, but I'd say that with the high number of people listening to space these days the chances of a signal being leaked or released if found is pretty high. 

Interesting update here. Also, there were supposed to be additional scans this past weekend but no data posted, if anyone finds anything please post it here.

https://www.wired.com/story/oumuamua-probably-isnt-a-spaceshipbut-it-could-have-passengers/

Today in the journal Nature Astronomy, astronomers report observations that suggest 'Oumuamua is encased in a dry, carbon-rich crust that could have protected a water-ice core from being vaporized as it made a close pass of our sun earlier this year. You can almost think of it as the hull of a spaceship.

• 10 months later...
2 minutes ago, aliboy said:

This report is from Harvard suggesting the "asteroid" could have been an alien probe. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/06/health/oumuamua-alien-probe-harvard-intl/index.html

There was another article a couple months ago stating that it was an asteroid and they had narrowed it down to a few places that it may have originated.

Can anyone even imagine if this is true, How much older would aliens have to be to travel into solar system? By our calculations the amount of light years it takes to travel through space, with our physical bodies, it would take generations to get anywhere.

24 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

There was another article a couple months ago stating that it was an asteroid and they had narrowed it down to a few places that it may have originated.

Saw that one also, never difficult to get one expert disagreeing with another expert, I would think that Harvard is a good source. 

I was wondering myself, back when it blew through the solar system, that it would be interesting to see if it accelerated on the way back out of the solar system and apparently it did. Now there are a number of factors that can account for the acceleration, but if they aren't able to attribute it to those factors then they have to ask, where did the acceleration come from, and from what I gather reading the article that is the issue.

We need a UFO thread  for all this stuff. I posted this in the UFO book thread yesterday. Love these topics. 

Its pretty neat, up until this study they had dismissed it as an asteroid. Neil Degrasse Tyson was on a late night show a while back saying forget about Oumuamua and focus on the blob the F-18's were chasing in the Pentagon release. That was because they had scanned this cigar asteroid and they had not picked up any signals.

This new study finds it accelerates, once sling shot-ing off the sun, in a manner that no asteroid would. It's rotation isn't affected the way they thought it should have if it had been an asteroid and that 'out-gassing ' had caused the increase of speed. It was moving faster than it should in the first place when it entered our solar system.

21 minutes ago, Heretic said:

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/small-bodies/comets/oumuamua/in-depth/

They should have named it Rama as a tribute to Arthur C. Clarke!

Maybe would have been a better name but Oumuamua is pretty good as explained in your link.  Your linked article is from June 28 though. 

The new study from Harvard (Nov 1) has reassessed that it still may be quite a bit different from any asteroid/comet. 

After examining the images, another international research team discovered that 'Oumuamua had increased in velocity, rather than slowing down as expected. The most likely explanation, they claimed, was that 'Oumuamua was venting material from its surface due to solar heating (aka. outgassing). The release of this material, which is consistent with how a comet behaves, would give 'Oumuamua the steady push it needed to achieve this boost in velocity.

To this, Bialy and Loeb offer a counter-explanation. If 'Oumuamua were in fact a comet, why then did it not experience outgassing when it was closest to our sun? In addition, they cite other research that showed that if outgassing were responsible for the acceleration, it would have also caused a rapid evolution in 'Oumuamua's spin (which was not observed).

https://phys.org/news/2018-11-oumuamua-extraterrestrial-solar.html

5 hours ago, smokes said:

Can anyone even imagine if this is true, How much older would aliens have to be to travel into solar system? By our calculations the amount of light years it takes to travel through space, with our physical bodies, it would take generations to get anywhere.

And don't forget, if this thing was a space probe, it's the size of an aircraft carrier, so if their probes are that big, then what else have they got!?

Archived