The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, scratchmb said:

Now, most of us do not have the multi volume set of rules, regulations, misconducts, behavioral conduct, fines and punishments that the NHL lords over not only players, coaches, staff, but yes, even the owners. Bettman has everyone on a leash. Play nice or get a hot poker where you don't want a hot poker. There are so many no no's of what anyone can say, even the media is under a certain degree of NHL overseer power. It is all, don't do this, don't do that.

Still the media has enough power to finagle and manipulate, to present enough sensationalism to get away with stuff and still look like they are the sneaky rats. Trust me, the National Basketball Association (NBA)gave a massive sigh of relief when Bettman left them and started to haunt the NHL. Oh sure, he created the soft salary cap in the NBA which THEY claim still exists today. Yeah right. Compare the number of high paid currently playing NBA players with the high paid current NHL players, there is a huge difference and the NBA comes out smelling like a rose.

Get rid of Bettman, reestablish a proper National Hockey League Players Association like the old days when it was run like a no nonsense union, (yeah sure, they were all corrupt as hell, but players got descent contracts and far better benefits). What? You think that the owners are not making money? Well, they would be making a helluva lot more if the "League" was not taking the lion's share of the marketing profits under the NHL license. No wonder Gary always has that plastic smile.

Also, the rules are way to overloaded, games would go so much faster if the refs didn't have to stop so many times to have little chit chats about who saw what. They have to keep running to to a headset and ask, "Hey? What's the current ruling on this? Huh, has it changed in the last 15 minutes?"

Video this and video that. Throw all of that nonsense out and let them play hockey. Eliminate about 60% of those ridiculous rules, and give referees the opportunity to actually know the game they are calling. Allow them to be the professionals that we expect them to be where they make the calls as they see it. Whether it is technically photographic or video proved wrong, it doesn't matter. We spent years without the technology, yelling at the ref has always been half the fun of the game. Again it does not matter, it eventually all comes out in the wash, unless of course they happen to be on the take. Which NEVER happens in hockey (snicker).

I am not exited at all with the delays, and then the seemingly ceremonial return to center ice of the referee with the statement of "After video review....blah blah blah, yada yada yada." and then wrists get slapped. Waste of time and nonsense. If you enjoy that crap, I have only deep sympathy and regret for your existence.

Cheers

Wow. 

I was talking about green not throwing his players under the bus with the media.what happens behind closed doors stays there.

regardless of whatever rules you speak of I believe it build resentment and mistrust with the players.

if you can’t get through to them 1on 1 or with there peers why would publicly embarrassing them Work.it reeks of desperation.

im not a fan of video review the 2 ref system or bettman in general.

i never followed basketball so.....

sorry to make you so mad. Good rant thou feels good doesn’t it.

6 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Could u explain what u mean by he rode into the hit? 

He wasn't charging. He was gliding into the hit from what I see on the replay.

If u see the replay, he wasn't even making any strides when puck went D to D from subban to emelin.

I saw the same hit whether it's on our D man or on opposing team's D man during the entire season. 

From other posts, I read that it was highsticking that it was called for. 

And Ya I agree. 

But to the nature of the hit, it was a mundane hit around the league. There wasn't an intent to injure. 

Unlucky that stick came up high on that one. 

Anytime a guy gets hit hard. And his stick happens to come up and clips the player. Who goes down bleeding. Its going to draw a reaction? 

Hell, Hartnell needles Stecher.  And 3/4 of the flock here are in arms we have no pushback.  Imagine the outcry if Hartnell bloodied Stecher...

I don't really believe Virtanen intended to get his stick in Emelin's snout.  Open the link below?  But I'm not surprised they reacted.

https://streamable.com/gv2zi

5 hours ago, combover said:

Yeah I see the Pattern, calling guys out in the press had no effective/ineffective. It built resentment and distrust. 

And three of the four mentioned are not with the team anymore.

They are not with the team because unlike many of the fans here, the Canucks don't let misfits run the Club the way they want. These players all had one thing in common, they were ultimately unprofessional in a professional sport.

Kassian disrespected this club and the efforts of the coach and management to help him. He new he was a rare commodity here and made the mistake of equating that to being indispensable.

Tryamkin made the mistake of thinking he knew everything, including what the team needed, who the coach should play and how long players should be on the ice. He was an NHL rookie for goodness sake. His attitude was set entitled, immature and as I said unprofessional.

Jake thought he had made it. He didn't take his fitness seriously enough to turn up in condition and it chased him off the ice until finally the only way to rehabilitate him was in Utica.

These players especially Jake only had themselves to blame. They were surrounded by players who were better than they were ever likely going to be, who had walked the well trodden path to success of patience, hard work, and listening to and obeying the advice of the coaches and management. Players like the Twins, Horvat, Burrows, Hansen etc.

You want Tryamkin back, well as far as I'm concerned, unless he has grown up and can appreciate he is there to play to the needs of the team and the coach, I don't.

The fact you don't see this is worrying but I can't help that. 

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

They are not with the team because unlike many of the fans here, the Canucks don't let misfits run the Club the way they want. These players all had one thing in common, they were ultimately unprofessional in a professional sport.

Kassian disrespected this club and the efforts of the coach and management to help him. He new he was a rare commodity here and made the mistake of equating that to being indispensable.

Tryamkin made the mistake of thinking he knew everything, including what the team needed, who the coach should play and how long players should be on the ice. He was an NHL rookie for goodness sake. His attitude was set entitled, immature and as I said unprofessional.

Jake thought he had made it. He didn't take his fitness seriously enough to turn up in condition and it chased him off the ice until finally the only way to rehabilitate him was in Utica.

These players especially Jake only had themselves to blame. They were surrounded by players who were better than they were ever likely going to be, who had walked the well trodden path to success of patience, hard work, and listening to and obeying the advice of the coaches and management. Players like the Twins, Horvat, Burrows, Hansen etc.

You want Tryamkin back, well as far as I'm concerned, unless he has grown up and can appreciate he is there to play to the needs of the team and the coach, I don't.

The fact you don't see this is worrying but I can't help that. 

Willies not with the team either. It did really work for the coach did it.

Its ok to disagree.

Again I personally don’t like it when coaches call players out it looks petty desperate and weak and rarely if ever does it have a positive effect or change anything just like in these three cases. It builds distrust and resentment I just don’t see the benifit of embarrassing a player publicly.Behind close door if you can’t get though to a player a “misfit” one on one chances  are embarrassing them won’t work either just like in these three cases it devalues and doesn’t motivate. So what’s  the point. 

And just like in these case usually ends poorly For the coach and the players.

Thats my opinion that’s how I feel and I’m old jadded stubborn and opinionated so chances are that won’t change.

Nowhere have I said your wrong I simple don’t agree with using the media as tool to motivate.

If you like it when coaches call players out publicly and believe it to be an effective tool that’s fine. 

15 hours ago, scratchmb said:

Really? You think so? Believe me when I tell you that even though Troy Stetcher is diminutive in height, he is a probably the most emotional player in the Canucks lineup, and if he was on the ice, he would have quickly jumped into the foray and climbed someone's back. Although he is presently -4 in the plus/minus and has served 9 minutes so far this year in penalties, they seem to overlook how many penalties he draws from the opposition, which is plenty. Why? Because of his diminutive size, and yes, he is still young and when he gains the experience of cashing in and keeping the puck in control closer to his body and leans more down and forward into his momentum when moving up ice, he will continue to frustrate forwards and draw penalties. The kid has the heart of a berserker warrior, and he is undrafted and only 23 years old. The Canucks have had unusual success with undrafted players.

They probably won't retire Jersey number 14 for their most dedicated undrafted player, but I personally think they should. Of course there is no question that A.B. will be in "Ring of Honour" but not likely jersey retired. But I'd be happy to be wrong.

Not the point, Stetcher is a jump in kind of guy, Hutton I think wants to be, but we all knew that it was Derek Dorsett that caused most teams to behave themselves, but this season, Derek was making hard hits, and dealing out the evil eye a plenty, but his actually fighting was down, and his scoring touch was starting to raise eyebrows. An NHL fairy tale comeback store building up if I ever saw one. One that the team rallied around and boosted their camaraderie and confidence in the locker room and both on and off the ice. Dorsett's loss became the Achilles Heel for the Canucks team, but it is there job to learn not to dwell on it and move forward.

We should not crucify them for a paltry slide. What team doesn't go through them? It is just uniquely odd that Vancouver Canuck fans are among the most highly critical fan base in the entire NHL community. Harsh and unforgiving. Or any sport for that matter. Win or lose, they have some bizarre sense of privilege that it is just fine and dandy to riot in the streets and cause millions of dollars in property damage. Barbaric with the mentality of Neanderthals.

Then there are fan base internet sites, where most consider themselves quite clever with their photos, videos, .gif clips, quotes from players, and alumni as if they were holy scripture. Oh yes, clever indeed, but completely blind to the fact that it is all repetitious, redundant, and quite rhetoric, or for you less educated minions, lazy monkey see, monkey do.

If you spent equal time in thought and saying what is constructive literature of prose and supportive ideals, it would be impressive. Insults may be fun, but they lack the integrity of true grit satire. A Canadian tradition of satire. Insult humor, is well, so American. Sorry Yanks, but you know that's true. Republicans can't help themselves from a constant barrage of mud slinging insults at Democrats and Vice Versa. You simply hate each other. You have zero concept of bipartisanship. Your Electoral College is a comedy of errors, and your bureaucracy within government (definition of Bureaucracy is government by desks) is like a cash vacuum. To top that off, they are all departments that are headed and filled by non elected officials and far too many employees. Thus, the question? Where's the money. The answer, Ergo: Hell, I don't know, haven't got a clue, I left an envelope of it on my desk here a while ago, now it seems to be gone, best check around with the lobbyists. (See? Satire, there you have it)

Now back to the grit of Vancouver hockey business. The Canucks have plenty of talent, but the largest percentage of it is still young and raw. The head coach is a fresh face to the NHL head coach scene, it will take time for him to acclimate to the NHL level to be on even terms with his peers. They probably still are working on getting a clinical sync going with each and every coach on staff, the trainers on staff, as well as their communications with the GM and team President, then on top of that, they have to keep an eye on who is doing what in their affiliate team, the Utica Comets.

Now, I am certainly not being paid by the Canucks organization to do any of those jobs, and I doubt that anyone posting here is in employ of the Canuck team staff or management organization. I also doubt very much that they even care one wit what any of us have to say. Sure, they have someone who sorts through all of this stuff who gets the privilege of ignoring 99.9% of it. Even my long winded crap. But at least I say something rather than nothing, and there is plenty of nothing going on around here. More like a bunch of "wanna be"s, whiners, and cry babies.

If you can't chop wood, don't touch that axe.

Cheers

Jake's not a fighter....every time he throws a hit like that, the other team reacts to it  He gets mugged, punched and attacked without much help from the blue, white and green  and the men in stripes (example of it this game...where was the push back against Subban and Hartnell and where were the penalties against?).

If Jake had the support of a mob mentality after his heavy hits to back him up....I believe he would throw more of them.

He threw that hit because he was mad and embarrassed at the result of the game...he had no fear.

14 hours ago, Kushman said:

It's not about accepting less, it's about facing reality. Soundbytes like "guys need to step up", "play hard" isn't going to combat the fact that the team is missing their 2nd,3rd,4th  highest goal scorers on the team. You think a Gagner or a burmistrov or Chaput are going to step in and replace what Horvat and Sutter were doing going up against the premier lines of every team in the NHL? Give your head a shake. This isn't remember the titans or some other hollywood movie where the underdogs are gonna win because of some inspiring words from the coach. Guys aren't just going to magically turn into superstars because they need to "step up". That's not how it works. You're either underestimating the value that guys like Horvat, Sutter, and Baer bring to the team, or you're completely delusional in your expectations of a team that has a number one line that is up for retirement after this season. I'm as passionate about the team as anyone, have been a fan since my family moved to BC in 1993.. I've seen the highs and I've seen the lows and watch every damn game regardless if the team is winning or losing but I can differentiate between a team that is poorly managed with no hope of success for the future and a team that is grossly injured throughout the lineup and doesn't have a realistic chance of winning regardless of what the coach or media tries to spin  with AHL callups.  

I hope you're right.

29 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Jake's not a fighter....every time he throws a hit like that, the other team reacts to it  He gets mugged, punched and attacked without much help from the blue, white and green  and the men in stripes (example of it this game...where was the push back against Subban and Hartnell and where were the penalties against?).

If Jake had the support of a mob mentality after his heavy hits to back him up....I believe he would throw more of them.

He threw that hit because he was mad and embarrassed at the result of the game...he had no fear.

Subban and Hartnell both got 10min misconducts.  His teammates came to his help.

3 hours ago, combover said:

Willies not with the team either. It did really work for the coach did it.

Its ok to disagree.

Again I personally don’t like it when coaches call players out it looks petty desperate and weak and rarely if ever does it have a positive effect or change anything just like in these three cases. It builds distrust and resentment I just don’t see the benifit of embarrassing a player publicly.Behind close door if you can’t get though to a player a “misfit” one on one chances  are embarrassing them won’t work either just like in these three cases it devalues and doesn’t motivate. So what’s  the point. 

And just like in these case usually ends poorly For the coach and the players.

Thats my opinion that’s how I feel and I’m old jadded stubborn and opinionated so chances are that won’t change.

Nowhere have I said your wrong I simple don’t agree with using the media as tool to motivate.

If you like it when coaches call players out publicly and believe it to be an effective tool that’s fine. 

Fair enough.

I think it's wrong to blame WD though because we are now seeing with TG that it's not easy to win when you don't have the players. Anyway that's water under the bridge.

I think if you looked around the league quite a few players who have been called out by their coach probably took it the right way and stepped up their game. By the way I don't think all of what gets published in Van is actually statements of complaint from the coach.

Archived