The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Ashton Sautner

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, stuman491 said:

To be fair all of these injuries are a blessing in disguise.  If we had stated healthy we would have been a bubble playoff team.  It looks like we are about to fall to the bottom of the standings.  The decision to buy, sell or stay the course will be made for Jim and Trevor.  As painful as this is to watch again, its the best thing that could happen.  Now we know with a healthy team we can be competitive night in night out.  Add more talent and depth and we are in great shape for years to come.

Yes indeed. Perhaps those who are blaming the hockey gods for this "bad luck" should actually be thanking them. In the long run the hockey gods might just be saving the Canucks from themselves.

yup kinda sucks :( all the other canadian teams keep getting better, and we keep being stuck in a hole year after year ......onlytime will tell

i love the sedins, i really do but think once they retire, the rebuilding will begin ...and also trade away gagne , vanek , eriksson and a couple others.....wanna rebuild, than team of youth, only position, that needs some experience is defence 

1 minute ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

yup kinda sucks :( all the other canadian teams keep getting better, and we keep being stuck in a hole year after year ......onlytime will tell

i love the sedins, i really do but think once they retire, the rebuilding will begin ...and also trade away gagne , vanek , eriksson and a couple others.....wanna rebuild, than team of youth, only position, that needs some experience is defence 

That's because every other canadian team besides Montreal and Ottawa sucked for at least 5-10 years meanwhile we were arguably the best canadian team for a number of years. 

Now it's our turn to suck for a few years. Future is bright however. 

Just now, Odd. said:

That's because every other canadian team besides Montreal and Ottawa sucked for at least 5-10 years meanwhile we were arguably the best canadian team for a number of years. 

Now it's our turn to suck for a few years. Future is bright however. 

we just need another bure, and things will be fine again :P , with him even when we lost, was a amazing game ...he always made ya wanna watch the game due to his explosivness ....but yes i know, just sucks, and the whole draft thing hurt us, imagine if we got austin mathews , we coulda ...if the hockey gods were on our side

26 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

we just need another bure, and things will be fine again :P , with him even when we lost, was a amazing game ...he always made ya wanna watch the game due to his explosivness ....but yes i know, just sucks, and the whole draft thing hurt us, imagine if we got austin mathews , we coulda ...if the hockey gods were on our side

Boeser better.

6 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The race for last place was cured by the lottery. It is not as advantageous to be in last place anymore. 

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

Indeed, it's not worth tanking anymore. But without Tanev, Horvat, and Baertschi, we'll lose enough games to be near to the bottom even without intentionally tanking.

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Indeed, it's not worth tanking anymore. But without Tanev, Horvat, and Baertschi, we'll lose enough games to be near to the bottom even without intentionally tanking.

plus we won't catch Arizona or Buffalo for last place anyway. 

We'll almost certainly have a top 12 pick, and all of the draft site lists are so deep on D this year we are going to get a great player no matter what. Its not worth agonizing over trying to get 1st overall. 

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

plus we won't catch Arizona or Buffalo for last place anyway. 

We'll almost certainly have a top 12 pick, and all of the draft site lists are so deep on D this year we are going to get a great player no matter what. Its not worth agonizing over trying to get 1st overall. 

I'm still hoping for the 1 OA. Canucks have never had one, it'd be fun to see it, especially now that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Is Dahlin a McDavid/Mathews? No. However i feel he is better than most 1OA in the past decade. Having him and EP step in as the new resident "Saviour Swedes" would be very fun and continue the now multi decade run of Swedish leaders of the Canucks. 

22 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Tanev might be out:

Still though, Sautner ahead of Wiercioch/Holm? Even then you could make an argument for Chatfield/Brisebois.

Anyways, he gets to collect and NHL paycheck, while Biega likely slots in. Guddy should be close too.

I think Holm and WIercioch aren't quite 100% right now.  Chatfield and Brisebois have not carried over their hot start at camp to the Comets season. 

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

A bottom five position is not fine by any means. However, due to the circumstances hitting the Canucks, it might be the position the they find themselves in when all things are say and done. 

The point I'm making is, the NHL has attacked and indeed won the battle against the race to the bottom. Such a race should never exist in sports.

3 hours ago, hobart16 said:

I think Holm and WIercioch aren't quite 100% right now.  Chatfield and Brisebois have not carried over their hot start at camp to the Comets season. 

Wiercioch is healthy but if the Canucks call him up for more than one day, then they'd have to expose him on waivers again.  Considering the callup is intended to sit in the pressbox while the team hopes we don't get even more defencemen go down with injury, it just isn't worth running the risk of losing the best d-man on the Comets right now.  Losing somebody for free on a callup without playing would be ludicrous.

Holm is recovering from injury (concussion.)

There's no reason to bring up Chatfield or Brisebois, the rookie pros.  It's a steep learning curve from junior to the AHL and they still have a long way to go.  Brisebois is a better long term prospect than Sautner and many rate Chatfield a better long term prospect than Sautner as well.  However, Sautner, with his two extra years of pro experience, is at least even with both of them on the depth chart for the short term.

It's better not to interrupt the development of the better long-term prospect who is less experienced.  Brisebois and Chatfield can play in Utica while Sautner sits.

Archived