The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Team Has No JAM!

captaincowbasher

It's no coincidence that we've continued to lose all our grit - ever since Trevor Linden, one of the nicest guys on Earth, got hired (to run a team led by the Sedins)...

You do not win hockey games by being nice.  Gretzky doesn't credit his success on all the hall-of-famers he played with - he credits Dave Semenko!

Here, let's game this out...

You have two teams that are equal in every way but one:  One team is filled with nice guys - and the other team is filled with guys who PUNISH the other team every shift.  They play each other 100 times.

Now, what happens?  Given equal-skill levels (and everything else), you'd expect a tie.  50 games a piece.  But, is that what would actually happen?  No.  One team is getting hit every play, taking cheap-shots, getting gloves rubbed in their faces, picking themselves up off of the ice, etc...  The 'nice' team is going to be injured A LOT more than the other team.  They are going to be angry and frustrated.  They are going to be taking retaliatory penalties.  Etc...  The 'mean' team is going to win a hell of a lot more, even though they should be even (remember what happend to us in the Final against Boston?).

We've had an extremely soft team for many years now - and, it's also no coincidence that we were god-awful that entire time.  Although, granted, a severe lack of skill is probably worse than a severe lack of grit.  Unfortunately, we've got both problems.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Rubbish.

We are down a few key players and it's funny how when that translates to losses, people come out of the woodwork to tell us why our team sucks.  The Sedins and Edler aren't to blame...we've had some goals go in that shouldn't have, we've had some bad puck and injury luck and just a week or two ago everyone was celebrating the team.

I honestly feel like this is more about somehow working a jam theme in than anything of substance.

The team was performing better than most expected then our line up started to be depleted and it's having an impact.  We're fine.  We're not expected to do anything, remember?  And that's ok..... 

Rubbish

Loosing 7-1 at home with no balls,no push back what so ever,  and that's not OK, were not fine.

look at their collective body language, passive play, afraid to make a mistake, This team has lost it's confidence and need to get it back.

Blame injuries, Blame we were doing better than expected, blame bad puck luck, but please don't imply it's ok to loose like that game.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Firstly I agree we were doing well.

But we were doing it mostly with DD and Guddy playing.

No one can accuse me of coming out of the woodwork, I have said this for years, even when we were winning because as you know some of the worst injustices can happen when you are winning.

The truth is we have relied too heavily on DD and ............DD. That is not quite true however because Hansen didn't take any nonsense and neither to a lesser extent did Burr. However, look who we traded them for. Goldobin and Dahlen. Tell me Deb, when we add Peterson, Lind, Juolevi, who exactly is going to answer the bell when these players are crocked?

You say the team was performing well and I have agreed but do you in your wildest dreams see a team built along the lines of how Vancouver is shaping up winning a best of 7 against ANY of the Western teams? Most of them have a plan B like Calgary had in WD's first year - its "when the hockey is not doing it for you, lay in body" We don't have and at present we are not likely to have that plan B.

The point is imo not "whether we are expected to be doing anything now" it is are we taking steps to do what will be required 2,3,4 years down the line? I don't see it. I'm starting to be disappointed in Linden as PoH because he seems incapable of learning from past experience.

Looks like Deb watches a lot of hockey, but she just doesn't  get it. We're not doing fine at all, one line was doing fine, and two goalies. This team has been terrible to watch for years. Yes I think they could be headed in the right direction, but the passive culture of the Sedin's is not what we want our young players learning. 

35 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

It's no coincidence that we've continued to lose all our grit - ever since Trevor Linden, one of the nicest guys on Earth, got hired (to run a team led by the Sedins)...

You do not win hockey games by being nice.  Gretzky doesn't credit his success on all the hall-of-famers he played with - he credits Dave Semenko!

Here, let's game this out...

You have two teams that are equal in every way but one:  One team is filled with nice guys - and the other team is filled with guys who PUNISH the other team every shift.  They play each other 100 times.

Now, what happens?  Given equal-skill levels (and everything else), you'd expect a tie.  50 games a piece.  But, is that what would actually happen?  No.  One team is getting hit every play, taking cheap-shots, getting gloves rubbed in their faces, picking themselves up off of the ice, etc...  The 'nice' team is going to be injured A LOT more than the other team.  They are going to be angry and frustrated.  They are going to be taking retaliatory penalties.  Etc...  The 'mean' team is going to win a hell of a lot more, even though they should be even (remember what happend to us in the Final against Boston?).

We've had an extremely soft team for many years now - and, it's also no coincidence that we were god-awful that entire time.  Although, granted, a severe lack of skill is probably worse than a severe lack of grit.  Unfortunately, we've got both problems.

Bingo Buddy- their Jammless, they have no jellies.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Firstly I agree we were doing well.

But we were doing it mostly with DD and Guddy playing.

No one can accuse me of coming out of the woodwork, I have said this for years, even when we were winning because as you know some of the worst injustices can happen when you are winning.

The truth is we have relied too heavily on DD and ............DD. That is not quite true however because Hansen didn't take any nonsense and neither to a lesser extent did Burr. However, look who we traded them for. Goldobin and Dahlen. Tell me Deb, when we add Peterson, Lind, Juolevi, who exactly is going to answer the bell when these players are crocked?

You say the team was performing well and I have agreed but do you in your wildest dreams see a team built along the lines of how Vancouver is shaping up winning a best of 7 against ANY of the Western teams? Most of them have a plan B like Calgary had in WD's first year - its "when the hockey is not doing it for you, lay in body" We don't have and at present we are not likely to have that plan B.

The point is imo not "whether we are expected to be doing anything now" it is are we taking steps to do what will be required 2,3,4 years down the line? I don't see it. I'm starting to be disappointed in Linden as PoH because he seems incapable of learning from past experience.

Im quite surprised you found a way to put a negative spin on our prospect pool. When I look at our prospect pool l see a team that is going to be fast and extremely talented. Sure there's no Lucic, Chara and Marchand in there, but look at Pittsburg. Team toughness and having an effective 4th line is what they've needed. I think Bo, Gaudette, Virtanen, Gadjovich (Tryamkin possibly) all have that element of size and aggressiveness. Vancouver can easily pick up guys in free agents that have some toughness but why go searching for toughness before you have enough talent to be protecting. I wouldn't start doubting the teams direction yet. 

I'm really intrigued as to what's going to happen at the deadline this year. It will probably be a huge factor in whether I continue being pro Benning or not.

17 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

No they are not a playoff team when healthy, they're not even a .500 club when healthy. Mark my words

Your words - No they are not a playoff team when healthy, they're not even a .500 club when healthy. Mark my words

Your mark - 

f-school-letter-grade.jpg

The guys that had some jam are all injured. Whats left are the jam tarts. It should have been evident that this team has not been tough for years especially after the 2011 cup loss to Boston. That team had some toughness but management then decided what is needed in Vancouver is a skilled and fast but not tough. They wanted to stay out of the penalty box. Now with all the injuries and Edler trying to play goal in front of his goalie the fans better not expect any wins. Brock Boeser will not be able to save this bunch . Feel sorry for Green he is left with not much. 

Take this however you want but having at least 1-2 physical players in your top 6 is a recipe for success.

These numbers obviously are open for debate but the difference and trend is undisputable

Number of hits from top 7 scorers of each team

top 10 teams in the standings minus Canucks

Vancouver – 70

Tampa- 127

St Louis- 201

LA- 101

Nashville- 151

Winnipeg- 142

Toronto – 147

Vegas – 201

Columbus – 275

Washington- 276

New jersey- 171

3 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Take this however you want but having at least 1-2 physical players in your top 6 is a recipe for success.

These numbers obviously are open for debate but the difference and trend is undisputable

Vancouver – 70

Tampa- 127

St Louis- 201

LA- 101

Nashville- 151

Winnipeg- 142

Toronto – 147

Vegas – 201

Columbus – 275

Washington- 276

New jersey- 171

Bingo, your 100% correct. 

5 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Vancouver – 70

Tampa- 127

St Louis- 201

LA- 101

Nashville- 151

Winnipeg- 142

Toronto – 147

Vegas – 201

Columbus – 275

Washington- 276

New jersey- 171

No we don't believe in hitting, it's not a detail we're looking for.

7 hours ago, WestCoast5347 said:

Im quite surprised you found a way to put a negative spin on our prospect pool. When I look at our prospect pool l see a team that is going to be fast and extremely talented. Sure there's no Lucic, Chara and Marchand in there, but look at Pittsburg. Team toughness and having an effective 4th line is what they've needed. I think Bo, Gaudette, Virtanen, Gadjovich (Tryamkin possibly) all have that element of size and aggressiveness. Vancouver can easily pick up guys in free agents that have some toughness but why go searching for toughness before you have enough talent to be protecting. I wouldn't start doubting the teams direction yet. 

I'm really intrigued as to what's going to happen at the deadline this year. It will probably be a huge factor in whether I continue being pro Benning or not.

Sorry but to compare the Pens push back to this team is imo misguided. Soft teams don't win Cups. The Pens reacted in a pack which often is enough. They stood up to the Preds and they were no pushover.

Crosby and Malkin Bonino, Cullen don't let themselves be pushed around. Kessel is a firebrand who may not fight but he certainly won't be pushed around either. Similarly in defence they had some big bodies who would push back. Guys like Cole, Daily, Maatta, Schultz and Dumoulin.

What you see is actually toughness in the top two lines. However because the Pens don't want Crosby and Malkin getting into scraps and risking injury they have now acquired Reaves.

Archived