The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck's Top 10 Prospects

SedinBros

My List For Canuck's Top 10 Prospects

note: If players have fully graduated to the NHL they are no longer eligible for this list.

1. Elias Pettersson, 19 - Centreman Vaxjo Lakers of the SHL (Potential: First line forward)

2. Olli Juolevi, 19 - Defenseman TPS of SM-Liiga (Potential: Top 3 defenseman)

3. Thatcher Demko, 22 - Goaltender Utica Comets of the AHL (Potential: Starting Goaltender)

4. Jonathan Dahlen, 19 - Leftwinger Timra IK of Allsvenskan (Potential: Top 6 forward)

5. Adam Gaudette, 21 - Centreman Northeastern University Huskies of the NCAA (Potential: Top 9 forward)

6. Nikolay Goldobin, 22 - Rightwinger Utica Comets of the AHL (Potential: Top 6 forward)

7. Jonah Gadjovich, 19 - Leftwinger Owen Sound Attack of the OHL (Potential: Top 6 forward)

8. William Lockwood, 19 - Rightwinger University of Michigan in the NCAA (Potential: Top 9 forward)

9. Michael Dipietro, 18 - Goaltender Windsor Spitfires of the OHL( Potential: Starting Goaltender)

10. Kole Lind, 19 - Rightwinger Kelowna Rockets of the WHL (Potential: Top 6 forward)

Honorable mentions: Jalen Chatfield and Guillaume Brisebois

Comment your thoughts and post your list if it's different.  

Slightly different order pretty similiar, but I don't consider goldobin prospect anymore. 

1 - Pettersson - UNDISPUTED #1

2 - Demko - Can't put him lower because he's our next franchise tender and he's getting close

3 - Gaudette - he's playing unbelievably and 

4 - Juolevi 

5 - Dahlen

6 - Lind

7 - Gadjovich

8 - Brisebois

9 - Lockwood

10 - DiPietro

HM: Chatfield

My list:

1. Elias Pettersson (Elite 1st line forward)

2. Thatcher Demko (Elite number 1 goalie)

3. Olli Juolevi (number 2-3 defenceman)

4. Jonathan Dahlen (Top 6 winger)

5. Adam Gaudette (Top 6 forward)

6. William Lockwood (Top 6 winger)

7. Guillaume Brisebois (number 4-5 defenceman)

8. Jonah Gadjovich (Top 6 winger)

9. Kole Lind (top 6 winger)

10. Michael DiPietro (Number 1 goalie)

HM: Jalen Chatfield (number 5-6 defenceman)

What I think they can become in brackets.

This is great. You can argue to substitute different guys into different slots on the list and add a few from the honourable mentions into the top 10 but no matter what....the future looks damn brighter than I can ever remember, and my memory goes back to guys like Tony Tanti (drafted by Chicago, I know) and Petri Skriko. And never have we had such an incredibly deep looking prospect pool...

1. Elias Pettersson

2. Olli Juoveli 

3. Thatcher Demko

4. Jonathan Dahlen   

5. Adam Gaudette   

6. Kole Lind

7. Jonah Gadjovich  

8. William Lockwood

9. Michael DiPietro  

10. Jalen Chatfield  

honorable mentions to Guillaume Brisebois, Petrus Palmu and Zack MacEwan

My list:

1. Rasmus Dahlin - one can dream; ok, if I can't pick him, can I still pick Tryamkin?
  2. Elias Pettersson - number 1 Center; high IQ; can create out of nothing
  3. Thatcher Demko - number 1 Goalie
  4. Adam Gaudette - numbers 2 to 4 Center; high compete level; good size; good IQ
  5. Jonathan Dahlen - scorer; apparently Elias Pettersson's twin brother
  6. Michael DiPietro - number 1b Goalie
  7. Kole Lind - scorer; "Why isn't anyone taking Kole Lind?"; should have been part of this year's Canadian team (if only they took into consideration that he's not yet 100%)
  8. Olli Juolevi - will start out as top 4 D-man; with Tanev training him, will be a solid top 2 D 
  9. Jonah Gadjovich - I still have nightmares of seeing Byfuglien's big butt parked in front of Luongo's face
  10. William Lockwood - future Alex Burrows

34 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

id put joulevi second to last if it was based on his preseason n camp

Lame.. he had a bad camp also adjusting to his new weight, and he's playing very well against men right now in Finland. He just needs time 

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

This is great. You can argue to substitute different guys into different slots on the list and add a few from the honourable mentions into the top 10 but no matter what....the future looks damn brighter than I can ever remember, and my memory goes back to guys like Tony Tanti (drafted by Chicago, I know) and Petri Skriko. And never have we had such an incredibly deep looking prospect pool...

1. Elias Pettersson

2. Olli Juoveli 

3. Thatcher Demko

4. Jonathan Dahlen   

5. Adam Gaudette   

6. Kole Lind

7. Jonah Gadjovich  

8. William Lockwood

9. Michael DiPietro  

10. Jalen Chatfield  

honorable mentions to Guillaume Brisebois, Petrus Palmu and Zack MacEwan

My order not quite the same, but only minor movment. I remember drafting Rick Vaive and Bill Derlago; I also remember trading Rick Vaive and watching him become a 50 goal scorer too.

33 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

My order not quite the same, but only minor movment. I remember drafting Rick Vaive and Bill Derlago; I also remember trading Rick Vaive and watching him become a 50 goal scorer too.

And Bill Derlago turned into a decent hockey player too

9 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

And Bill Derlago turned into a decent hockey player too

Yep...and both for the Leafs, not us. We get one good (read that as "miracle") year out of Tiger Williams, they get a 3 time 50 goal scorer, and a 30 goal scorer to boot. Yeah, really good trade there. Just like most of the Canucks early history.

I'm not bitter...no, not at all!!

53 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

Yep...and both for the Leafs, not us. We get one good (read that as "miracle") year out of Tiger Williams, they get a 3 time 50 goal scorer, and a 30 goal scorer to boot. Yeah, really good trade there. Just like most of the Canucks early history.

I'm not bitter...no, not at all!!

Williams/Butler for Vaive/Derlago -  I'd say we won the trade. Tiger got us to the Cup Final. Vaive's 50 goal seasons did not translate to any team success.

1) Pettersson (Obviously an elite talent. Possibly the best player currently outside the NHL)

2) Demko (About as sure a thing as a future starting goalie can be without playing an NHL game yet)

3) Juolevi ( The only blue chip D prospect we have. Not a no 1, but hopefully a great 2/3)

4) Gaudette (Plays hard and solid in both ends. The 3 guys just below him might have as high/higher offensive ceilings, but the ability to play center puts Gaudette above imho)

5) Dahlen (Great offensive instincts and tireless work ethic, but untested on NA sized ice)

6) Goldobin (Great offensive instinct, but struggles defensively)

7) Kind (Great offensive skill, but Goldy has proven he can at least score at the AHL level, so he wins out between the two of them for now)

8) Lockwood (Feisty and boasts some offensive skill)

9) Gadjovich (Boom or bust. Great in tight, but a poor skater)

10) DiPietro (Good goaltending prospect, but too early to put him higher on the list)

3 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Am I the only one that sees DiPetro as a future #2 goalie (Backup) or a fringe starter 

Nope.   I am not sold on him either.   I like his effort but not his style or his size - particularly with the newer smaller equipment rules.   He is a gamer but if Demko is an A prospect, DiPietro is a C.   

I see EP and OJ as pretty equal in terms that both can play key roles but elite D are so much harder to find.    I also don't think Gadjovich is a poor a skater as some think - he just needs some professional conditioning and he will  surprise some.  I see him in the top five as he brings something all teams want - size, touch AND toughness.   

A bit interesting that Holm isn't showing up on any lists.   He has a legitimate shot of being an NHL Dman.

Archived