The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck's Top 10 Prospects

SedinBros

On 12/03/2018 at 11:43 AM, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

Trevor will build this team the proper and right way. F@$% the naysayers and Pooplords who crap on this management group.

IN BENNING WE TRUST, WE ARE BUILDING THROUGH THE DRAFT!!

I too go back to those days, the only other time that I have felt 1/2 of this optimism was when we drafted Trevor, Nedved, Slegr, and Bure in a short time frame. Trevor and Bure became GREAT players, Nedved was serviceable, and Slegr, meh, but there was some excitement there. Then the Sedins, they took some time, but now it seems like Benning is finding multiple somethings worthwhile out of every draft...

I love Pat Quinn and Brian Burke for bringing self respect to this franchise, we were lost before them in a sea of despair, these last few years of losing is nothing compared to the dark days before Quinn. And yet Quinn did not revamp the draft system, the building block of the franchise.

I get upset at various media outlets in this city. Some are mean hearted and I hate them for it. TSN DonkeyHats and Canuck"Nation" wannabee General "Fan"agers poop on GMJB, degrading themselves even to the point of giving airtime to an impersonator mocking the way Benning talks and inferring that he is a dimwit, think about that for a second, they mock a good man who has revamped our drafting system, and who was given a team of NTC's, NMC's and who uncovers young and upcoming talent for us and they "extol" the "virtue's" of Gilman who was part and parcel of giving away those contracts and who did F@#$% all to draft anything much other than Bo Horvat then he gets to come on TSN and second guess the new management every week. Thanks TSN.

image.png.9e8bf6637b54fd6850100a53532483da.png

I like this team, I like our direction, I like where we are heading, I like the players we put on our team. We only have players with character on our team. There are no prima-donna's, no whiners, no me-first's that stick out. I do not necessarily want Gagner, Dowd, MDZ, on this team but the kids NEED a buffer.  I definitely do not want the kids to be gifted a spot and I do not want the kids to be over-overwhelmed. How they developed Virtanen is awesome, they are dedicated to bringing the kids in properly. anyways..

Enjoy:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-week-of-march-12

Please let this kid transition smoothly to the NHL.  The Canucks need, deserve a legitimate superstar.

On 3/12/2018 at 11:43 AM, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

Trevor will build this team the proper and right way. F@$% the naysayers and Pooplords who crap on this management group.

IN BENNING WE TRUST, WE ARE BUILDING THROUGH THE DRAFT!!

I too go back to those days, the only other time that I have felt 1/2 of this optimism was when we drafted Trevor, Nedved, Slegr, and Bure in a short time frame. Trevor and Bure became GREAT players, Nedved was serviceable, and Slegr, meh, but there was some excitement there. Then the Sedins, they took some time, but now it seems like Benning is finding multiple somethings worthwhile out of every draft...

I love Pat Quinn and Brian Burke for bringing self respect to this franchise, we were lost before them in a sea of despair, these last few years of losing is nothing compared to the dark days before Quinn. And yet Quinn did not revamp the draft system, the building block of the franchise.

I get upset at various media outlets in this city. Some are mean hearted and I hate them for it. TSN DonkeyHats and Canuck"Nation" wannabee General "Fan"agers poop on GMJB, degrading themselves even to the point of giving airtime to an impersonator mocking the way Benning talks and inferring that he is a dimwit, think about that for a second, they mock a good man who has revamped our drafting system, and who was given a team of NTC's, NMC's and who uncovers young and upcoming talent for us and they "extol" the "virtue's" of Gilman who was part and parcel of giving away those contracts and who did F@#$% all to draft anything much other than Bo Horvat then he gets to come on TSN and second guess the new management every week. Thanks TSN.

image.png.9e8bf6637b54fd6850100a53532483da.png

I like this team, I like our direction, I like where we are heading, I like the players we put on our team. We only have players with character on our team. There are no prima-donna's, no whiners, no me-first's that stick out. I do not necessarily want Gagner, Dowd, MDZ, on this team but the kids NEED a buffer.  I definitely do not want the kids to be gifted a spot and I do not want the kids to be over-overwhelmed. How they developed Virtanen is awesome, they are dedicated to bringing the kids in properly. anyways..

Enjoy:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-week-of-march-12

Legit. lol. love me some Elias Pettersson videos!

We have an embarrasment of wealth coming in next year...it is hard to put this in perspective because it is unlike anytime in our history.

These kids have dominated there (men's) leagues and are coming in as leaders...and most of them are under 23 ...which means they are still improving but almost to there peak.

The next 2-3 years should see us rocket up the power rankings, I say we return to playoffs next year ( barring injury too our top 3 forwards) and we win a round or 2 the year after that...from there it is going to be us and the Jets and Oilers to see who comes out the west....!

On 12/16/2017 at 1:40 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Nope.   I am not sold on him either.   I like his effort but not his style or his size - particularly with the newer smaller equipment rules.   He is a gamer but if Demko is an A prospect, DiPietro is a C.   

I see EP and OJ as pretty equal in terms that both can play key roles but elite D are so much harder to find.    I also don't think Gadjovich is a poor a skater as some think - he just needs some professional conditioning and he will  surprise some.  I see him in the top five as he brings something all teams want - size, touch AND toughness.   

A bit interesting that Holm isn't showing up on any lists.   He has a legitimate shot of being an NHL Dman.

I saw Gadjo play against the Knights this year and thought he really looked behind the play a lot, and that was in the CHL.  Looked like a man amongst boys in all other aspects of the game and loved how he worked the net front presence and tips even in warm-up.  He was the only player on either team I saw doing that.  Tells me he knows where his game is.  

I hope he can really improve his skating as he could be a very valuable asset especially with all of these good but small Euro wingers we are accumulating.  I believe Brett Hull described John LeClair's game as shoveling pucks into the net and that is what Gadjo will need to be in this league.

I am surprised Jasek hasn't come up more, especially the way he has started in Utica. 

Lockwood has had such devastating injuries, who knows if he will be able to play with the physicality that his game is known for.

Oop, just realized I was quoting Rob from December, a little behind the times.

Best player in College this year, best player in SHL, one of the best goalies in the AHL who has taken Utica to the playoffs almost on his own.  Best goalie in the OHL.  Great years from Lind and Gadjo.  Jasek showing life in the AHL.  Goldy starting to look like an NHL player.  Jake slowly improving and looking like a legit bottom six NHLer with room to improve.  

The D prospects need some depth but OJ looked good this year adjusting to playing against men, Sautner took some steps and then there are some potential fringe NHLers.  Needs work.

Oh and Brock finishing an amazing rookie season.  Might of got to 40G if it wasn't for injury.

image.png.90297322e2f6fc7b549a1920da461c34.png

gotta suck

when your crowning draft achievement is cody

how does the man sleep at night ?

i guess if we are patient .. in a year or two bo will have played the most games and be his best draft pick

but there is a huge fall off from bo and all his other draft picks

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

gotta suck

when your crowning draft achievement is cody

how does the man sleep at night ?

i guess if we are patient .. in a year or two bo will have played the most games and be his best draft pick

but there is a huge fall off from bo and all his other draft picks

I get the impression that Gillis only really started trying to draft well in 2012 (Gaunce) but nothing paid off until 2013 (Horvat / Shinkaruk). 

Before that, his head was elsewhere :bigblush:

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

1) Petterson

2) Demko

3) Juolevi

4) Gaudette

5) Gadjovich

6) Lind

7) Dahlen

8) Brisbois  * Needs more love here?

9) Goldobin

10) Lockwood

HM Palmu, Holm, McEneny.   Upside mentions to Goldobin & Dahlen who I rated lower than some guys who are ''safer bets?'' Or offer other intangibles like Gadjovich.  That may keep them on the team if they do not reach their ceiling. 

OK, I should have had Dahlen higher. #4???  Goldobin ahead of Brisbois...

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME what is your current rank?

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

OK, I should have had Dahlen higher. #4???  Goldobin ahead of Brisbois...

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME what is your current rank?

Man, I hate doing rankings. Feels a bit like asking which one of my kids I love most.

Anyway, I’ll take a stab.

Actually, I won’t. :lol:

I tried but I got to around 5 and started to vacillate. I really have a hard time with rankings. Maybe I’ll have to come back and edit when I’m in a more ruthless mood?

But you’re right on Dahlén. He should be at 4. And Goldobin should be higher than 9 and Gadjovich lower than 5.

Wow, fire that guy?

Effectively 2 career NHL players, both top 10 picks though.  And a few part time NHL'ers > Gaunce, Hutton, Connouton, possibly Schroeder of varying effect.

Funny thing..., Hodgson actually had a pretty productive career considering where he was drafted!  

1 Pettersson

2 Demko

3 Juolevi

4 Gaudette

5 Goldobin (starting to prove himself at the NHL level - could move to #2 if he continues)

6 Dahlen (but trending up - needs to prove himself on NA ice - could be #4 soon)

7 Jasek (based solely on his Utica performance to date - if he keeps it up he could be a real keeper - the kind of players Nashville has built a team out of)

8 Lind

9 Gadjovich

10 Lockwood

HM: about 10 more

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 8:10 AM, RogersTowell said:

1 Pettersson

2 Demko

3 Juolevi

4 Gaudette

5 Goldobin (starting to prove himself at the NHL level - could move to #2 if he continues)

6 Dahlen (but trending up - needs to prove himself on NA ice - could be #4 soon)

7 Jasek (based solely on his Utica performance to date - if he keeps it up he could be a real keeper - the kind of players Nashville has built a team out of)

8 Lind

9 Gadjovich

10 Lockwood

HM: about 10 more

Good list...I would still swap Goldy with Dahly....and stick in MacEwen at 10...lockwood HM....

On 2018-02-28 at 11:09 PM, nergish said:

1. Pettersson

2. Demko

3. Dahlen

4. Gaudette

5. Juolevi

6. Lind

7. Gadjovich

8. Goldobin 

9. DiPietro

10. Lockwood

Do not sleep on Dahlen. If he proves physically strong enough to play NA Pro hockey, he’ll be a force. 

Still content with my rankings at this point.

Maybe Goldy above Gadj now, and MacEwan instead of Lockwood. 

Hoping Juolevi hops over AG eventually too.

Incredible how hard this has gotten. I've been following the team since the 70's and I can't remember ever seeing this much talent coming up in the system.

We need to temper expectations on these kids for a couple of years, they all need time to adapt their game to the NHL, but the talent is definitely there.

On 4/13/2018 at 9:19 AM, 250Integra said:

1. Pettersson

2. Demko

3. Juolevi

4. Dahlen

5. Gaudette

6. Lind

7. Jasek

8. Gadjovich

9. Lockwood

10. Dipietro

Lot's of reasonable lists, including the one above.

I would like to try a different angle. I realize that this is about prospects -- guys not on the team. But I find it more interesting to think about "young players". After all, if we are trying to think about what the team will look like in two or three years, a 20-year old who is on the team now is more relevant than, say, a 23 year-old who is still in the minors. The 20-year old will probably still improve quite a bit and is very likely to be on the team in two or three years. The 23 year-old who has not made it yet has a good chance of never making it and usually does not have a lot of additional improvement ahead. So I am going to use a cut-off of not more than 21 right now (with the normal goalie exception that we will add a year, so Demko is included).

Here is my list of the top 10 "young players" in the system. I have added the age of the player and my projection of the "expected value" category the player will be in in his prime. I use standard categories: franchise (serious contender for major trophy like Hart, Ross, Norris, or Vezina), elite (high level first liner or top of depth chart D), core (other guys who are good top 6 forwards or good top 4 Ds), regulars (good bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing Ds) and fringe or marginal or replacement (7th or 8th man  on D, 13th or 14th forward, injury call-up),

It goes without saying that there is a lot of uncertainty in projecting players. All I am doing is basing projections on their trajectory so far. (I have in the past spent a lot of time looking at trajectories -- possibly without learning anything.) Anyway, here is my list:

1. Pettersson  19  (franchise)

2. Boeser        21 (elite)

3, Demko        22 (core -- good #1 goalie)

4. Gaudette    21 (core -- that's what his trajectory says)

5. Juolevi        19 (core, possibly a bit optimistic based on his trajectory, but he is still pretty young)

6. Dahlen        20 (core, but still a lot of uncertainty)

7. Virtanen      21 (regular, yes applying standard translation factors, Gaudette projects better than Virtanen)

8. Lind             19 (regular, not a lock but should make it.)

9. Jasek           20 (regular, not a lot to go on but has great speed, 200 ft game and has shown a lot of character. I like his chances)

10. Gadjovich   19 (regular, a bit optimistic, but probably better than 50-50)

I don't think any other young guys in the pool are 50-50 or better to make "regular" status. Goldy is too old for my list, but I have Jasek and Gadjovich beating him out anyway.

Not a bad list. Horvat is a bit older (age 23) but is obviously very good and can still improve to some extent> He is core right now and might reach the elite level. And he will be around for a while yet. And the Canucks will get add another good prospect in this year's draft. Actually, with a high second round pick in a deep draft, they should add two. Looking at this list and adding in Horvat, this is not yet enough for a typical cup run. The big omission is an elite D-man -- a legitimate top of depth chart guy on a good team. In addition to that, they need at least one   more "core" D-man, even assuming one of the guys a little over this age cut-off develops into a legitimate top 4 D. (Brisebois? McEneny? Stecher? Hutton? Pouliot? etc.) 

I would probably go with this

Top (10) 20 Prospects List                 Under 25 list                                    Top 20 Prospects                                  Possible Trade

2018 pre draft                             April 23, 2018                                    2018 post draft                                      Pre draft value

1. Pettersson                                     1. Boeser                                           1. Pettersson                                       1. Baertschi.........2nd......Mtl. Phili, NYI, Tor, Ana

2. Demko                                           2. Horvat                                            2. Demko                                             2. Hutton.............3rd.......NYI, Mtl

3. Gaudette                                        3. Pettersson                                     3. 2018 1st                                           3. Granlund.........3rd......Arz, Buff, Edm, Mtl, etc.

4. Joulevi                                           4. Demko                                           4. Gaudette                                          4. Pouliot.............4th......NYI, Mtl

5. Dahlen                                           5. Virtanen                                         5. Joulevi                                              5. MDZ................3rd......NYI, Mtl

6. Goldobin                                        6. Gaudette                                        6. Dahlen                                              6. Gagner........... 3rd.....NYI, Phili, CBJ, NYR, 

7. Lind                                                7. Joulevi                                           7. Goldobin                                           7. Gaunce............5th....Arz, Buff, Edm, Mtl. etc.

8. Jasek                                              8. Dahlen                                          8. Lind                                                   8. Tanev.....1st + 2nd....Phili, Tor, NYI, CBJ etc.

9. MacEwen                                       9B. Goldobin                                      9. Jasek

10. Dipietro                                        10. Lind                                            10. 2018 2nd

11. Brisebois                                      11. Leipsic                                       11. MacEwen                                           Possible Cash Dumps

12. McEneny                                      12. Motte                                         12. Diepietro

13. Gadjovich                                     13. Jasek                                         13. Brisebois                                           Ladd

14. Lockwood                                     14, Gaunce                                      14. McEneny                                          McDonald

15. Rathbone                                      15.  Stecher                                     15. Gadjovich                                         Lehtera

16. Palmu                                            16. Pouliot                                       16. Lockwood                                         Orpik

17. Chatfield                                        17. MacEwen                                  17. 2018 3rd                                           Ennis

18. Sautner                                          18. Diepietro                                   18. Rathbone                                          Alzner

19. Gunnarsson                                   19. Brisebois                                   19. Palmu

20. ???????                                         20. McEneny                                   20. Chatfield

*9A. Tryamkin                                                                                                 Possible UFA Signings

E. Kane

Carlson

Greene

The top 10 prospect are pretty easy..........given we are talking potential NHL players and their upside...........it's a guess!

The reason I put down the rest of this, is because, all the above "could" have a very change our list. pre draft, draft, or post draft. prospects list...it is an exciting time!

Sorry for getting carried away!

22 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I would probably go with this ...

it is an exciting time!

Sorry for getting carried away!

Getting carried away is much too easy. I certainly do it too often. But great work. I enjoyed your lists. I figured you need a beer after all that effort so I gave you one.

I agree there is a lot of guesswork here but what you have looks good to me. Your lists are not identical to what mine would be, but are pretty close. I like where you have slotted in this year's draft picks. They look about right to me.

The only place where I would have a significantly different view is with the trade values before the draft. I think they are more optimistic than my expectations would be. With MDZ and Gagner, they are obviously legitimate NHL players and should, apart from their cap hits, be worth more than a mid-round pick. But their cap hits are pretty high for what they do, so I don't see much of a market for them until the trade deadline gets close. I think the Baertschi value is about right. But the Tanev trade is high given his injury history. I don't see a lot of trade value for the other guys. 

I also agree that this is an exciting time. I have been critical of Benning, and continue to be critical of his handling of most aspects of the job. But I think he has done a good job with the draft and acquiring prospects. That is clearly his comparative advantage and I think he should have played to it by acquiring more draft picks along the way.

But, even without that, by the time the 2018 draft is over I think the Canucks could have best prospect pipeline or under 25 group in all the time I have been following the team.

They were good just before the Sedins turned 25 and Kesler, Edler, Hansen, and Bieksa were in the system. And the young guys were impressive in 1994-95 (just before Linden turned 25) as, in addition to Linden, Bure, Gelinas, Odjick, Aucoin, and Mike Peca were all young guys on the team and Ohlund was in the system. (but Linden had turned 25 before Naslund arrived up the following year). But, after this draft, the current young group could be the best ever. We just need one more really high end talent (preferably on D) to add to Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat to provide that nucleus that you need to build a cup contender. (You also need a good goalie, so Demko is important also.)

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Incredible how hard this has gotten. I've been following the team since the 70's and I can't remember ever seeing this much talent coming up in the system.

We need to temper expectations on these kids for a couple of years, they all need time to adapt their game to the NHL, but the talent is definitely there.

Same here, Ive been following the team since late 80,s theres never been this much talent coming up the ranks. We aren't just expecting these guys to make the team and its a job well done. We expect them to make a difference, especially the top 5, who might be the cornerstones of this team along with Brock and Bo. We've come along way from getting excited on guys like Subban, Shinkaruk, Grenier, Matt Beattie or even Mats Froshaug LOL

Archived