The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Science-based, transgender, diversity: Trump administration gives CDC list of forbidden words

Where's Wellwood

Come to think of it... "Fetus" is actually a really bizarre one.. fetus has more connotations of "living entity" then say "embryo" or "blastophere"... and it's the Right that's mostly pro-life... I would have thought they'd want them to use it more

2 hours ago, Dral said:

Come to think of it... "Fetus" is actually a really bizarre one.. fetus has more connotations of "living entity" then say "embryo" or "blastophere"... and it's the Right that's mostly pro-life... I would have thought they'd want them to use it more

My guess is word "fetus" doesn't illicit the same emotional response as much as the word "baby" would. Thereby sensitizing the issue for their political agenda surrounding abortion. Basically what you said but in the other direction. 

11 minutes ago, Canorth said:

My guess is word "fetus" doesn't illicit the same emotional response as much as the word "baby" would. Thereby sensitizing the issue for their political agenda surrounding abortion. Basically what you said but in the other direction. 

Exactly!!!

To be fair, some of the words "banned" are a bit too vague.  

Science-based isn't as nearly as precise as saying something like, "Within 2 standard means of deviation" etc.  

I'm all for accuracy.... but it's the CDC... you'd assume their reports should be as accurate and unbiased as possible anyways.  This isn't some 1st year college essay.  

Non-story really.  

4 hours ago, Canorth said:

That doesn't make sense, why only ban fetus and leave other words less emotionally charged, like embryo, available?

8 minutes ago, Dral said:

That doesn't make sense, why only ban fetus and leave other words less emotionally charged, like embryo, available?

Because fetus is a more commonly used term than embryo or because a fetus is in the later stages in development which is a usually more controversial time for terminating a pregnancy? I don't know, like I said its a guess. 

On 16/12/2017 at 12:41 PM, Warhippy said:

Yup.   Are right.

Them dems killed net neutrality and are banning specific words because others aren't adult enough to handle it

My bad

Edit*  This isn't to say the PC culture isn't an issue.  But for one group to scream about their freedom of speech then enact net neutrality laws and ban words is just ridiculous

Ajit Pai is an Obama appointee, and he's been trying to kill net neutrality for a while now. Not to mention that any person who is in favour of limiting speech for nebulous terms like 'hate'  has no business being outraged when a word ban is proposed for an equally stupid reason.

2 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Ajit Pai is an Obama appointee, and he's been trying to kill net neutrality for a while now. Not to mention that any person who is in favour of limiting speech for nebulous terms like 'hate'  has no business being outraged when a word ban is proposed for an equally stupid reason.

Obama nominated him to a position at the FCC. It was Trump that made him chairman. If this guy has been trying to kill net neutrality for a while now, it was Trump that gave him the opportunity. 

10 hours ago, Canorth said:

Because fetus is a more commonly used term than embryo or because a fetus is in the later stages in development which is a usually more controversial time for terminating a pregnancy? I don't know, like I said its a guess. 

Your guess was to promote the usage of the term "baby" instead... how does this promote the term "baby" ?

Love how the argument is about the words being banned and not the insanity of banning words in the first place. 

For all the suck it up, liberals are snowflakes, sjw are a joke bs out there, this sure reeks of that which you claim to despise.

On 12/16/2017 at 7:19 AM, Cramarossa said:

Vulnerable could be used to describe the population of people who cannot be vaccinated and rely on herd immunity. 

Entitlement can refer to what benefits one is granted through his/her health insurance (or having insurance in and of itself may be an entitlement).

Diversity may refer to the full gamut of pathogens that threaten us. 

Transgender refers to a whole demographic of people who are actually at higher risk of transmission of certain disease and less likely to receive quality healthcare.

All of those terms are easily relevant in a budget proposal if CDC is laying out who and how they're targeting. 

1984?  

"Orwell believed that, without a word or words to express an idea, the idea itself was impossible to conceive and retain. Thus Newspeak has eliminated the word "bad," replacing it with the less-harsh "ungood." The author's point was that government can control us through the words."

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

1984?  

"Orwell believed that, without a word or words to express an idea, the idea itself was impossible to conceive and retain. Thus Newspeak has eliminated the word "bad," replacing it with the less-harsh "ungood." The author's point was that government can control us through the words."

I'm impressed Alf.

I think the most accurate thing in 1984 though is the daily "mandatory two minutes of hate" that party members had to look at every day- tell me thats not exactly what Trumps tweets are.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm impressed Alf.

I think the most accurate thing in 1984 though is the daily "mandatory two minutes of hate" that party members had to look at every day- tell me thats not exactly what Trumps tweets are.

It's very sad indeed.  There is a feeling of hatred that must have been brewing for some time south of the border.  "Bubble bubble toil and trouble/ fire burn and cauldron bubble." 

The stew of hatred doesn't seem to take much stirring to boil over down there, does it?

Archived