The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goaltending, moving forward

Ghostsof1915

1 hour ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Or "going forward". I know I'm coming off like a curmudgeon but it just kills me. Where else will anything go?  Of course it's going forward. Does it need to be added on to every sentence I hear on the radio?  I say no. 

try watching the food network and hearing "elevated" every second fn sentence!!

or HGTV and how an accent piece "pops".

the hockey terms that drive me nuts are when the 'analyticz' gurus refer to particular shutdown D - he's "not good at shot suppression".

Cookie-cutter crapola that's right up there with 'hero-chartz' and WOWY!!

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Comets as a team are pretty brutal.  To a prospect as good as Demko - it won't hinder him tooo much.  However, you aren't always going to draft goalie prospects as good as Demko.  Management has to attempt to stock the AHL club a bit better (if nothing else, to help provide better depth for the parent club in terms of callups).

All of the Canucks best prospects are playing in Europe or the NCAA right now.  Unfortunately, Utica is a hodgepodge of marginal CHL players with a few real prospects.  I looked at their roster last weekend, and I see only four guys with any chance at all of being NHL regulars, Demko, Holm, Brisebois, MacEwan and maybe Chatfield, but he hasn't maintained the magic he showed in camp. This was a situation that Benning could see coming down the pike, the cupboard was left REALLY bare, and why he traded so many 2nd rounders for a shot at possible NHL ready prospects because the Canucks don't really have that 22-27-year-old core.  Sadly he missed on a few like Larsen and Etem.  I will set Vey aside, because he actually worked out pretty well playing more games in Vancouver than your average 2nd rounder plays in an NHL career, and allowed management to develop Bo at the NHL level without throwing too much at him too soon.  He has done a great job of drafting, but imagine how bad the Canucks would be without Granny and Baer and instead, we had two more 20-year-old 2nd rounders in Utica.

Funny, I just looked Vey up on HockeyDB and saw that he's now averaging about a point a game in the KHL.  So basically the KHL is no better than the AHL because that's what Vey averaged down on the farm.  I guess Tryamkin was just homesick.  He didn't want to go to the A for a conditioning stint but gave up a top 4 NHL opportunity to play in in a league that's nothing more than AHL Senior. 

Goaltending has been a pleasant surprise so far this year.  Average at least and better than anticipated, really happy Markstrom finally got his first shut out so I can get off that horse ha ha.  Markstroms contract is looking pretty good now, and Benning also looks good both drafting Diepetro and signing Nilsson.

I think we will see a similar pattern until Demko is ready, all the contracts point to that conclusion. IF he doesn't pan out for some reason we may be in a pickle, and " moving forward " might be trouble.

Benning should continue drafting goalies with his 2-4 picks depending on who's available, nothing wrong with shoring up that position to both boost Utica and push whoever ends up taking the reigns from the current tandem.

He can also consider trading one if they continue to keep their stock risong to bolster a contender with issues (PIT) ....

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Markstrom and Nilsson are signed to Spring 2019. Demko is signed to the same period. However Bachman, who is having a brutal year is a UFA at the end of the season.

Do the Canucks do the easy thing, sign DiPietro in the offseason and he backs up Demko? Do the Canucks trade either Nilsson or Markstrom in the offseason, bring up Demko, and 

sign a UFA goalie to Utica? Does everything rely on training camp next year to see how Demko and DiPietro fare? 

Thoughts? 

DiPietro needs another year in junior after this season.   Canucks will need another AHL goalie or two but can worry about that next summer.

5 hours ago, combover said:

Lol. Yeah it’s funny how one thing can drive someone nuts.......

However now knowing that “moving forward” is your cyptonite I feel obligated to use it more “moving forward”.lol

That's "kryptonite", if you are using it in a Superman sense.

regards,  G.

PS - Nah, I'm not going to continue the "moving forward" thing.

Archived