The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Hyman for Gudbranson

1 hour ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Tough call... seems like gudbranson wasn't willing to sign with term for whatever reason and that's a huge red flag for me but otherwise I'd rather keep gudbranson. Unless we can trade him for a sweet return.

Florida signed Guddy for 1 year to trade him (rather than pay him) and the team they traded him to could get a good look and see what he was worth.  That was the original plan.

Then, last year, Guddy played for most of 30 games with a bad wrist before it got so bad he couldn't play.  He was then operated on and missed the rest of the season.  Benning gave him a do over at the same rate on the original plan.  Guddy deserves a fair shot at a more permanent contract.  And the Canucks need to find out what he's worth.  It's a win win situation.  Both want term but at what salary?

Based on his play 2 years ago, some fans are afraid that Guddy is going to be asking for a lot of money.  Nobody has seen that he is worth much more than the $3.5 he's getting now.  Some would argue that he's worth less.  The question is, can both parties come to terms?  They can start negotiating Jan 1.  If they can't come to terms, Guddy is trade bait.

11 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Florida signed Guddy for 1 year to trade him (rather than pay him) and the team they traded him to could get a good look and see what he was worth.  Benning gave him a do over.

Yeah I get all that... 

But from gudbransons perspective we traded for him we have a good scouting team and benning is a good evaluator of talent...

Pretty sure gudbransons camp feels we knew what we were getting... this can't be a show me contract. 

17 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Yeah I get all that... 

But from gudbransons perspective we traded for him we have a good scouting team and benning is a good evaluator of talent...

Pretty sure gudbransons camp feels we knew what we were getting... this can't be a show me contract. 

That is very much the impression that I got.  It is a show me contract.

Here's the link to the Kuzma article from last June and the quote from Gudbranson below.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-give-gudbranson-a-one-year-show-us-contract-extension

As for his willingness to remain in Vancouver, that was never going to be an issue for the Ottawa native, the third overall pick in the 2010 draft.

“I have something to prove,” he said last spring. “I want to be here more than anything. Above that, I want to prove to the city and the team that I can be a good influence on this group.” - EG

19 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Florida signed Guddy for 1 year to trade him (rather than pay him) and the team they traded him to could get a good look and see what he was worth.  That was the original plan.

Then, last year, Guddy played for most of 30 games with a bad wrist before it got so bad he couldn't play.  He was then operated on and missed the rest of the season.  Benning gave him a do over at the same rate on the original plan.  Guddy deserves a fair shot at a more permanent contract.  And the Canucks need to find out what he's worth.  It's a win win situation.  Both want term but at what salary?

Based on his play 2 years ago, some fans are afraid that Guddy is going to be asking for a lot of money.  Nobody has seen that he is worth much more than the $3.5 he's getting now.  Some would argue that he's worth less.  The question is, can both parties come to terms?  They can start negotiating Jan 1.  If they can't come to terms, Guddy is trade bait.

That wrist injury is looking like a career curse too.  If its a re-occurring problem now, what will it be like when he is 30?

23 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

That is very much the impression that I got.  It is a show me contract.

Here's the link to the Kuzma article from last June and the quote from Gudbranson below.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-give-gudbranson-a-one-year-show-us-contract-extension

As for his willingness to remain in Vancouver, that was never going to be an issue for the Ottawa native, the third overall pick in the 2010 draft.

“I have something to prove,” he said last spring. “I want to be here more than anything. Above that, I want to prove to the city and the team that I can be a good influence on this group.” - EG

Yeah I'm just kinda reading between the lines so to speak. I get the feeling gudbranson is going to walk when he hits free agency. There's always a lot of talk from both sides  when it comes to contracts and usually the truth is somewhere in between.

Archived