The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can the Canucks still compete for a playoff spot ?

falcons

Don't expect play off this year, but the team has already exceed my expectations with the hockey we're playing.

How about we compete as hard as we can, and then see where it leads to.

Its called transition...

And from having next to nothing to build on, we are now looking at talent worth talking about. 

2-3 years we will be relevant again.

12 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Let's be realistic here. In a perfect world where the Canucks weren't screwed by the injury bug, yes.  This isn't a perfect world.....no. Let me ad to this.....I can see Benning being a dumbass and holding on to Guddy and Vanek in the hopes he can get wiped out in the first round. 

WTF? Guess he was a dumbass drafting Boeser too huh? 

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Even if we get to the playoffs, the Canucks will be gone in the first round. Better to tank it and jump up a couple of spots in the draft.

I'm surprised people still think tanking is a good strategy.  I remind you that last draft, the team with the 13th best odds (Flyers) picked 2nd and the 8th best odds (Dallas) picked 3rd.  The team that picked first (NJ) had the 5th best odds.  So really, anything can happen between the teams in the draft.  'Jumping up a couple of spots' is meaningless.

4 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

I'm surprised people still think tanking is a good strategy.  I remind you that last draft, the team with the 13th best odds (Flyers) picked 2nd and the 8th best odds (Dallas) picked 3rd.  The team that picked first (NJ) had the 5th best odds.  So really, anything can happen between the teams in the draft.  'Jumping up a couple of spots' is meaningless.

So is serving up a butt whopping from a team from the top of the conference.

13 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Let's be realistic here. In a perfect world where the Canucks weren't screwed by the injury bug, yes.  This isn't a perfect world.....no. Let me ad to this.....I can see Benning being a dumbass and holding on to Guddy and Vanek in the hopes he can get wiped out in the first round. 

It's ownership who insists on being competitive every year fwiw

11 hours ago, coastal.view said:

nice to be so optimistic

you do recall though

that san jose played the night before they played the nucks

they were tired

the canucks were rested..

yet needed ot to get that win

not gonna be so easy against the upcoming teams who do not play the night before

If it wasn't for Jones it would've been 10-3. In the first 5 minutes there could've been a 3-0 lead for the Canucks. Martin Jones stole them a point.

With injuries: no

Without injuries: no

When are peole going to realize the season isn't 20 games long? Because you are in the mix at the 20 game mark doesn't mean you're good. It means you are better than Arizona.

This team is better than last year, still well below average, and that's ok. We are two good draft picks (can be in 2018) from turning the corner.

No not very likely

if the team gets healthy soon an league blows an honest whistle yes!

but the first round of playoffs might replicate that Calgary series few years back .

maybe in few years when all these new kids show up on scene we may be special performing team again.

just wait until mid February to see if we are still in the hunt for a playoff spot.

4 hours ago, smokes said:

Even if we get to the playoffs, the Canucks will be gone in the first round. Better to tank it and jump up a couple of spots in the draft.

Higher odds and draft picks are a nice consolation prize but if we manage to make the playoffs with this group it will mean a lot to the young guys on the roster.  Thankfully Bo was part of a playoff team his first year.. I don’t like the idea of our “future captain” leading a perennial “bottom 5” team.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

With injuries: no

Without injuries: no

When are peole going to realize the season isn't 20 games long? Because you are in the mix at the 20 game mark doesn't mean you're good. It means you are better than Arizona.

This team is better than last year, still well below average, and that's ok. We are two good draft picks (can be in 2018) from turning the corner.

To be fair, this year’s draft picks aren’t going to contribute to the team turning the corner for another 2-3 seasons  unless we win the lottery.

Some of Gaudette/Dahlen/Pettersson/Juolevi will, though.

The upcoming draft is full of nice D prospects who take a little longer anyways so I don’t think it matters as much where we draft. 

Without injuries might be able to fight for a spot, but still the goaltending is an issue for playing in the playoffs this team needs a #1 for playoff hockey, not 2 backups. 

With the injuries it's almost impossible unless a bunch of trades happen and doubt that will happen, but now it's more the opportunity for the young guys to step up and show themselves.

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

To be fair, this year’s draft picks aren’t going to contribute to the team turning the corner for another 2-3 seasons  unless we win the lottery.

Some of Gaudette/Dahlen/Pettersson/Juolevi will, though.

The upcoming draft is full of nice D prospects who take a little longer anyways so I don’t think it matters as much where we draft. 

100%. I don't anticipate a magic bullet this June but I expect two roster players in three years....just like how I expect two roster players from prior drafting/moves in 2018/2019.

Next year is when the corner really turns.

12 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Like I said, if we're bad it's legitimately bad. However to throw in the towel as fans less than 1/2 way through a season is foolish. A LOT can happen in 1/2 a season, this is why you play the games and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't disagree with you about tanking. I feel like that is poor form and I don't ever want to see the Canucks sink to that level.

I think though a lot of people are saying we should be sellers at the TDL and are scared we might be buyers in an attempt to scrape our way into the playoffs. In that regard I agree. I think that the team should go out and play their best hockey and if we make the playoffs or not we will still have pride in that. But I don't want management to give up a lot in exchange for an attempt at a cup run. Risk/Reward ratio is bad in that situation

Archived