The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amtrak train derails, dangles over interstate in Washington State

nuckin_futz

Sounds like a failure by corporations to install safety measures as passed by congress. So I look forward to trump deregulating and removing other government safety standards and regulations. 

I can't think of any recent examples of where removing or not enforcing safety standards went poorly. :rolleyes:

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, inane said:

Sounds like a failure by corporations to install safety measures as passed by congress. So I look forward to trump deregulating and removing other government safety standards and regulations. 

I can't think of any recent examples of where removing or not enforcing safety standards went poorly. :rolleyes:

Is positive train control a federal regulation in the states?

How does one rectify this situation? Amtrak only survives with Federal subsidies. If you stopped the funding, applied penalties, and enforced (whether it's currently a regulation or not) Amtrak would just go bankrupt and the trains would stop entirely.

It's not as simple as simply having a hate on for (not in case even entirely) private enterprise.

5 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Is positive train control a federal regulation in the states?

How does one rectify this situation? Amtrak only survives with Federal subsidies. If you stopped the funding, applied penalties, and enforced (whether it's currently a regulation or not) Amtrak would just go bankrupt and the trains would stop entirely.

It's not as simple as simply having a hate on for (not in case even entirely) private enterprise.

Ah Ron, I've missed your ridiculous, wild, jump to the extreme arguments. 

1 hour ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Amtrak has an absolutely brutal safety record.   44 major accidents since 71.  My gramps worked for CP his entire life in Canada and there was a lot of talk about how Amtrak is the FIAT of train companies.

Worst time of year for this too :sadno:

That's what happens when you run with very little money with most of it coming from the government. You create the worst of public and private industry.

I would love to own a LOT more railway stock, but you couldn't give me stock in Amtrak.

Archived