The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

You clearly didn't read my earlier posts. Someone questioned when the Canucks would ever have a #1 and I replied Demko in two years. Matt Murray is simply an example of a guy who stepped into the league in a good situation and had a tonne of success. In two years, when more and more Benning draft picks have joined the team, Demko should be primed to make the jump. If he is ready he is ready, either one of the current goaltenders could act as a solid veteran mentor.

I also made the argument that the two current goaltenders were in the top half of the league for save % and GAA until the injuries hit. Their current results a result of bad performance but also a reflection of the defensive make up of the current team.

You literally just made all the points I was arguing so...

Main point is people are overreacting as always but the team is fun to watch but it is a total wildcard year and the real games start in two years when guys like Boeser have a couple years under their belt and guys like Pettersson and Demko are joining the NHL squad.

I get your point.  I don't think the situations are comparable to the point where it's only two years out.  Murray's success comes strongly on the back of heavily loaded, veteran offense, something our Canucks do not have.  Boeser is fricken awesome, and we can easily see how important Bo is to the team.  I am quite happy with what Benning has done, especially with drafting.  I just think two years is a huge leap of faith, and I strongly doubt Demko can be a difference maker in that timeframe (of course, I hope I am wrong if he gets put in the role).   If you had said something in the area of 4-5 years, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Petterson will need some time before he becomes effective in the NHL.  We don't have the luxury that the unethical/lucky Penguins had with their successful tank to turn their roster around so quickly.  It wasn't until the Sedin's 4th or 5th season when they made the leap into real impact players, and the WCE was in full swing that whole time.

I don't follow the farm team much, so I'm not saying anything bad about Demko.  I just think your expectations are too high in the short-term.

Definitely agree with the sentiment behind your last paragraph.  I just think we need more time.  Not that I wouldn't love to see a couple of Cup parades for our boys over the next few years.

Archived