The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virginia House of Delegates Race To Be Decided By Pulling A Name Out Of A Hat, A Coin Toss, Or Drawing Straws

SabreFan1

Court rules Virginia House race is tied, winner to be picked ‘by lot’

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/court-rules-virginia-house-race-tied-winner-be-picked-lot-n831586

Grasping at straws is one way to win an election, at least in Virginia.

A Democrat's stunning one-vote victory in a hotly contested race for the Virginia House of Delegates this week suddenly became a tie on Wednesday after a three-judge panel ruled that an additional ballot should have been counted for the Republican.

Now, the winner will be determined "by lot," according to state law, and that could mean pulling a name out of a hat, a coin toss — or drawing straws.

Government is apparently serious business in Virginia.  :picard:

10 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Am I naive to say, how else would they decide? Voting again wastes time and money. 

If I were to set the law on ties, I'd say the incumbent stays in office. 

Democracy isn't cheap.  Games of chance may be free, quick, and easy, but they have no room in the Democratic process.

12 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Democracy isn't cheap.  Games of chance may be free, quick, and easy, but they have no room in the Democratic process.

Ignoring the results of the original election also doesn't belong in the democratic process. The fact the candidates tied matters.

I rather not spend money and time on a re-vote to find out someone wins 50.01 to 49.99; especially when the death of voters, or voter fatigue would be only the difference in the new election.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Ignoring the results of the original election also doesn't belong in the democratic process. The fact the candidates tied matters.

I rather not spend money and time on a re-vote to find out someone wins 50.01 to 49.99; especially when the death of voters, or voter fatigue would be only the difference in the new election.

There are run-off elections all the time even when candidates flat out win a race.  Some states won't seat people in an elected office unless they receive over 50% of the vote. 

36 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

There are run-off elections all the time even when candidates flat out win a race.  Some states won't seat people in an elected office unless they receive over 50% of the vote. 

I never knew the U.S did run off elections, very interesting. I like that idea with multiple parties. France elects leaders that way, at least you receive a true majority.

9 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I never knew the U.S did run off elections, very interesting. I like that idea with multiple parties. France elects leaders that way, at least you receive a true majority.

All federal elections (with the exception of the presidency), are decided by the most votes no matter the final percentage, but there are a few state and local elections that require a clear majority.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

All federal elections (with the exception of the presidency), are decided by the most votes no matter the final percentage, but there are a few state and local elections that require a clear majority.

As I say I like that idea. Would like to see Canada and the Provinces to move to an idea like that.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

As I say I like that idea. Would like to see Canada and the Provinces to move to an idea like that.

I'm not a fan of them.  I can't belly-ache too much about it though since I live in a state and locality that doesn't do run-offs.  At least I've never seen one here.

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm not a fan of them.  I can't belly-ache too much about it though since I live in a state and locality that doesn't do run-offs.  At least I've never seen one here.

And as a Canadian I've never seen one either but what I don't like is a majority government that won 38% of the vote.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

And as a Canadian I've never seen one either but what I don't like is a majority government that won 38% of the vote.

Canada's system of government is based on the UK's model.  The US has it's own style.  I don't like that we have only 2 parties in power.  I'd be ok if there were 3 or more in the US.  They'd either have to change the rules in the legislature as to how Congress is run or accept that whoever is in charge most likely won't have a majority. 

I like our system of checks and balances between the 3 branches of government.  Having several parties would just add to that.

Archived