The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(wjc) Could we have Juolevi & Pettersson captain Finland and Sweden respectively?

Rush17

curious how realistic you guys feel this could be? Juolevi was team finlands captain last year? Pettersson is dominating in Sweden... will he lead over Lias Anderson?

share your thoughts :)

has any nhl team ever had 2 prospects captain finland and Sweden in a given year? or could this be a first?

16 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

curious how realistic you guys feel this could be? Juolevi was team finlands captain last year? Pettersson is dominating in Sweden... will he lead over Lias Anderson?

share your thoughts :)

has any nhl team ever had 2 prospects captain finland and Sweden in a given year? or could this be a first?

It would bode well if each were named MVP of their respective team at tourneys end.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Doesn't really matter who wears the C, Juolevi and Pettersson should both play well, and I'm guessing Pettersson steals the show. He don't need no stinkin' letter.

I see Pettersson pulling a Gretzky at this year's WJC.  He is going to win the scoring race, but A LOT.  I don't know how well his team will do though.  Likely it will be another US v Canada final.  (Please let our goalie play good.)

39 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

damnit lol

why not juolevi?  :(

please close thread.

They were horrible last year with him as captain. I'm in no way blaming him at all, but that probably has something to do with it.

34 minutes ago, Incursio said:

They were horrible last year with him as captain. I'm in no way blaming him at all, but that probably has something to do with it.

It was also a mess off the ice.  The players felt the system did not suit them and the coaching staff ended up being fired mid-tournament.  

I feel like Juolevi will have a great tournament though Finland will probably finish 5th.

Elias on the other hand I feel isn't built for this type of game yet. I think he still finishes top 5 in scoring but in no way dominates aside from racking up flashy highlight reel goals against Slovakia, Denmark, Latvia. IMO he will be tightly checked against the tougher competition.  

I have a hunch that its Lias Andersson that will have the "C" for Sweden mainly because he was touted to have solid leadership skills even at a young age.  Not a knock on Pettersson as he is likely he and Nylander the best players for Sweden.

Honestly don't really care about the letters, its just been so long having a handful of Canuck prospects in the tournament, and a few that could bring some excitement back to this fanbase.

57 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Doesn't he play for Vaxjo with Petterson?

Wow you are correct... looks like Rahimi just moved to Vaxjo this season and is an Assistant Captain. 

How about we bring them both over?! ... and it all comes full circle.

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

I feel like Juolevi will have a great tournament though Finland will probably finish 5th.

Elias on the other hand I feel isn't built for this type of game yet. I think he still finishes top 5 in scoring but in no way dominates aside from racking up flashy highlight reel goals against Slovakia, Denmark, Latvia. IMO he will be tightly checked against the tougher competition.  

will be another good measuring stick for Elias then

4 players are returning on Finland D, which will be solid... Goaltending may be their downfall; however, if they can win games 2-1, they will have a chance.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-wjc-team-finland-preview/

Swedes are there with USA and Canada as favorites.

Swedes want redemption by finishing fourth last year and will be very motivated and hungry...their D is solid and they have players that can score. USA and Canada have to be aware of the Swedes.

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

Its harder to defend against top skill in the WJC than the NHL which adds to the excitement, a lot of odd man dishes and fast plays, turn overs etc.  If Pettersson gels with his line mates it should make for a good tournament for him.  Juolevi is a pro at this now, and should rebound ( and the team) from a subpar performance last year.  Canada wasnt supposed to do much last year and ended up in the shoot out for the gold medal  ( a game i watched thanks to my brother, oh so close) ... It could be anyone's turn again this year, and looking forward to watching how our guys stack up against the best.  Juolevi is getting Olympic consideration now so this really could be his turn to shine. 

Archived