The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boeser in All Star Voting

GreyHatnDart

12 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

I wasn't even going to respond once i saw "Lol" but I just have to. No, you don't have to calm down for asking people to support a Canuck player but you do need to calm down with the rampant homerism and Canuck-as-victim mentality. McDavid, Matthews were both first overall picks and have been on the hockey radar since they were 14-15 so they are more than just "Calder front-runners". Just because Brock has been on the CDC radar for 2 years doesn't mean that the entire league knew who he was prior to a couple of months ago. The All-Star ballots have been out since almost the beginning of the season and Bo and Baer were hurt just a couple of weeks ago yet you cry that they were the only 2 on the ballot? Pretty much every show I've watched recently has praised Boeser's start and Green's coaching (even the Overdrive1050 Leafs boys) and yes they are giving as much respect that a 20 year old rookie off to hot start to his career deserves. Its absolutely laughable that some of the fans of a team that are on the verge of finishing in the bottom 5 for the 3rd straight season and 4th in the last 5 years that finally have a bonafide sniper and burgeoning superstar yet all they can focus on is some perceived lack of respect against a kid thats played 41 NHL games even though Boeser has been given praise league-wide.

Rampant homerism? You’re judging me like that based on a single post? Okay. Perhaps you should check out some of my other many posts before blasting off, because you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. 

Being a first overall pick has literally nothing to do with making the all star game, or being a Calder consideration.  What an ignorant comment. 

I’m aware how the balloting works, thank you. I only just came across it for the first time on NHL.com and I was surprised to see his name left off. I was simply trying to draw people’s attention to it and maybe boost his rep. 

As far as a lack of respect goes, it’s not some poorly perceived thing against Boeser in particular, moreso the Canucks in general. You’re blind if you don’t see that, watching any of the sports channels and their coverage. It’s not a “Canucks as victims mentality” statement. It is what it is. The Sedin’s for example never got any of the respect they earned their entire careers. Are you going to try and refute that? 

In any case, pleasure meeting you for the first time on here.  

1 hour ago, GreyHatnDart said:

Did they change the system from last year? Laine and Mathews both were voted onto the teams....

Fans are now only voting for the captains of each division.  Last year - Crosby, Price, Subban and McDavid.  

The NHL decides who represents each team after the captains (eg Laine, Matthews, Horvat etc) - it's at least one player per team.  

6 minutes ago, GreyHatnDart said:

Rampant homerism? You’re judging me like that based on a single post? Okay. Perhaps you should check out some of my other many posts before blasting off, because you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. 

Being a first overall pick has literally nothing to do with making the all star game, or being a Calder consideration.  What an ignorant comment. 

I’m aware how the balloting works, thank you. I only just came across it for the first time on NHL.com and I was surprised to see his name left off. I was simply trying to draw people’s attention to it and maybe boost his rep. 

As far as a lack of respect goes, it’s not some poorly perceived thing against Boeser in particular, moreso the Canucks in general. You’re blind if you don’t see that, watching any of the sports channels and their coverage. It’s not a “Canucks as victims mentality” statement. It is what it is. The Sedin’s for example never got any of the respect they earned their entire careers. Are you going to try and refute that? 

In any case, pleasure meeting you for the first time on here.  

Wow you can't even refer back to your own post to see how utterly stupid this comment is? You were crying that Boeser wasn't getting respect and that McDavid and Matthews were "plastered all over my screen" and that Boeser should get more recognition because he was a "Calder front runner" and "outscoring them both". I merely pointed out that McDavid and Matthews were on the entire NHL radar for years before they were drafted. It was ultimately their talent that garnered all-star votes. For you to somehow view that as anything close to an "ignorant comment" just shows a stunning lack of self awareness and quite frankly an immature lashing out because I schooled you. But like I said I knew you were immature when you used "Lol" so I should have known better to even engage a little crybaby like you.

20 minutes ago, combover said:

The all star game is waste I’d be happy if no Canucks went. 

And I believe brock is a member of the young stars part of that weekend already.

With long season grind rest should be what nuck fans hope for brock.

That's what I figured, He's already got a free ticket due to being a Young Star or whatever shenanigans they do.

Tired of this fan base whining about the little things, boy do our fan's suck sometimes. Screw the all-star game I want playoff hockey back in Vancouver.

Boeser isn't a candidate for captaincy simply because he's played about half a season in the NHL.. Baer is only on there because Bo is really our only deserving candidate to be a captain and they had to have a second choice for the team. Brock will make it as a regular player, the same way Matthews did last year, and that's good enough for me to be interested in the game. 

18 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Wow you can't even refer back to your own post to see how utterly stupid this comment is? You were crying that Boeser wasn't getting respect and that McDavid and Matthews were "plastered all over my screen" and that Boeser should get more recognition because he was a "Calder front runner" and "outscoring them both". I merely pointed out that McDavid and Matthews were on the entire NHL radar for years before they were drafted. It was ultimately their talent that garnered all-star votes. For you to somehow view that as anything close to an "ignorant comment" just shows a stunning lack of self awareness and quite frankly an immature lashing out because I schooled you. But like I said I knew you were immature when you used "Lol" so I should have known better to even engage a little crybaby like you.

You schooled me? By perceiving my view of Boeser not getting recognition as rampant homerism? Hahaha. You’re as thoughtless as your “first overall” comment. I know what I said you either misunderstood my point or are daft. Either way, grab yourself a clue, pal. 

If you don’t agree with my original statement of voting for our player to be an all star captain, that’s fine. We could vote all day long and McDavid will still win it. No reason to go all tough guy. 

2 minutes ago, IBacon Strips said:

Boeser isn't a candidate for captaincy simply because he's played about half a season in the NHL.. Baer is only on there because Bo is really our only deserving candidate to be a captain and they had to have a second choice for the team. Brock will make it as a regular player, the same way Matthews did last year, and that's good enough for me to be interested in the game. 

Fair enough. But then, John Scott was hardly deservering as well. I suppose my point is this is our opportunity as Canuck fans to push for our own players respectability. 

2 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

I’m a little surprised so far by the responses here. People aren’t a little pissed off about this? Or how as I mentioned Horvat didn’t even have a jersey made up for him for sale last year? I know I was.

As I said, Boeser is on pace to score 46 goals this year, crushing Mathews 40 last year. Literally all I saw everywhere was Mathews this, Mathews that... drives me nuts that Boeser isn’t being getting more props, and this is our opportunity as fans to raise the awareness about this kid. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/?sn-article=close-look-important-brock-boeser-vancouver-canucks

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brock-boeser-show-helps-canucks-complete-pennsylvania-sweep/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-something-special-young-brock-boeser/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-top-line-challenge-flyers/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/?sn-article=brock-boeser-belongs-conversation-nhls-young-stars

http://www.sportsnet.ca/?sn-article=let-flow-sportsnet-650-musical-tribute-brock-boeser

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/boeser-scores-first-hat-trick-canucks-beat-penguins/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/?sn-article=brock-boeser-scores-twice-lead-canucks-past-penguins

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-boeser-a-big-time-scorer-1.924041

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/tim-sid-brock-boeser-real-deal-future-captain/

What more would you like? the kid is getting noticed just not as a top 1,2,3 pick overall. Don't sweat the small sh*t, hes blowing expectations and let it be that way.

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

The jersey last year I wasn't happy about. Everyone who attends the game should have their jersey available for purchase if someone wants it. As for the Matthews/Laine comparison I agree. Tim and Sid said the same thing on their podcast yesterday. Brock deserves (and I think he'll get) more coverage in the East. 

EDIT: I'm not mad because there is no doubt Boeser will be in the All-Star game. He's going to be our franchise player and future captain. No disrespect to Horvat.

Well said.  New captain material, his leadership skills have even been lauled in the eastern biased THN, if you get the year books you know what I mean.  It's no slight on Horvat, he's a bull dog and he'd also make a great captain one day, but it wouldn't surprise me at all that once the rookie jitters dissolve and Brock gets comfortable with his all but certainl corporate sponsors and eventual monster contract, that he will make this team his own and spread his influence both in and out of the dressing room.   He really is an All-Star and should be there representing our team, and if not I'd like to see H.Sedin one more time...

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well said.  New captain material, his leadership skills have even been lauled in the eastern biased THN, if you get the year books you know what I mean.  It's no slight on Horvat, he's a bull dog and he'd also make a great captain one day, but it wouldn't surprise me at all that once the rookie jitters dissolve and Brock gets comfortable with his all but certainl corporate sponsors and eventual monster contract, that he will make this team his own and spread his influence both in and out of the dressing room.   He really is an All-Star and should be there representing our team, and if not I'd like to see H.Sedin one more time...

Interesting take. I suppose it is all about perspective on what you’re looking for in a captain. I’d prefer Horvat myself, but agreed that Brock is very quickly becoming a leader on the team. Either way, it’s a good problem to have. 

3 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

I’m always amused by Botchford in particular. His whipping boy these days is Gudbranson and his underlying stats. The funny thing I’ve always noticed about any info Botchford puts forward in his writings is he always fails to note the QoC or zone faceoff percentages when listing Corsi for example. Pretty tough to have a positive Corsi when you’re taking 75% of the draws in your own end. 

Exactly.  I find the media here tends to pick and choose the evidence they want to show to validate points that purposely make the Canucks look bad.  Not sure how the media here got that culture that negative media sells more papers so it's best to make it negative.

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I could get on board with this. Love the bulldog.

Could also support a Dorsett write in. Obviously he couldn’t dress, but it would be a nice way to show how much he’s respected and appreciated by this fanbase for all his contributions, on and off the ice.

Fans don't vote for the players anymore - it's a NHL decision.  They only get to select 4 players - the captains of each division.  Players with the most votes so far are McDavid, Subban, Stamkos and Ovechkin.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Fans don't vote for the players anymore - it's a NHL decision.  They only get to select 4 players - the captains of each division.  Players with the most votes so far are McDavid, Subban, Stamkos and Ovechkin.

Yeah, I know. But you can still write in Dorsett. It comes up as an option when you click “other” on the ballot.

Just something that would be cool to see if somehow the fans really got behind it. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Agreed. Bo really compliments Boeser as well. I think Boeser will definitely be at the All-Star game. 32 in 32 so far is a good way to punch your ticket to the game.  It would be nice to see Hank again especially since they're playing pretty good this year but at his age I'd bet that some time off with the family would be best.

Archived