The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Hagelin + 1st for Sutter

Provost

I have doubts that Benning would do this as it would likely result in some more embarrassing nights for the rest of the season not having Sutter's defensive abilities, but Pittsburgh is in a win now window and has serious issues at centre.  They badly need a 3C and are limited in not having money to spend to do it, so they need a trading partner with the right asset who is willing to take money back.  That leaves relatively few options.

To Pittsburgh:

Sutter
Baertschi

To Vancouver

Hagelin

Pittsburgh's 1st round pick 

One of Pittsburgh's bottom end forward to even out the value, cap space, and roster spaces (Sheahan/Rowney/Reaves)

Sutter produces decently 5 on 5 and is solid defensively, which is pretty much what Pittsburgh needs in a 3rd line centre.  He is a known quantity for them and they don't have nearly the depth they had when they traded him away for Bonino.  Baertschi gives them some scoring for cheap to replace Hagelin's spot.  

Hagelin is a cap dump to make room for Sutter, who is using up cash and not producing like they need him to.  He is really fast and might produce better in Green's system.  He is only signed for this year and next so it isn't a huge risk to take on.

We have the chance of getting a decent 1st round pick, possibly even a lottery one if Pittsburgh doesn't make the playoffs.

Next year we would have to have a combination of re-signing the Sedins; bringing over Petterson, and/or signing a short term veteran centre to play on the 3rd line.... possibly all three if you think that Petterson comes over as a winger initially.  We lose Baertschi, but he may command more dollars than we want to spend, and scoring wingers is a relative strength of ours coming up the pipeline.  Hagelin probably provides similar numbers in the short term.

53 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Rutherford only trades Sutter away.  Twice now in fact.   Seems like it's someone else's job to trade for a Sutter before Rutherford takes over in that city as GM.  LOL 

I'd rather have Sutter as a Canucks than Rutherford as GM thank you very much.

38 minutes ago, apollo said:

I'll do Boeser + Sutter for Crosby (3 mill retained duration) + 1st + The Ghost of Nick Bonino that won them 2 cups. 

You're tripping. When we're actually competitive in 3-5 years, Crosby will be fading away and Boes will be winning the Art Ross, Hart and Rocket Richard trophies.

Apollo. Sheesh

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

I'd rather have Sutter as a Canucks than Rutherford as GM thank you very much.

Really? Rutherford has 3 Stanley Cups as a GM. One in Carolina and two in Pittsburgh.  Not suggesting Benning be replaced by Rutherford.  But the guy has a decent resume.  (Yes. He had Sid and Geno to work with in Pittsburgh, but he was largely responsible for building the cup team in Carolina) 

No thanks for OP's deal.  I know it's Christmas time but it ain't the time to be gifting like this.

The team appreciates Sutter's value as a 3rd line defensive center (esp. with Bo away) and he should not be traded.  Do you also know that Hagelin currently has fewer points (6) than Sven has goals (8)?  We're trading a guy who's on pace to post nearly 50 points (projected for 47) for 1st, then a cap dump in Hagelin and a fill-in (heck no to Reaves, Rowney's a 4th liner, even Sheahan barely plays 13 minutes a night; Sutter takes almost 18).  No way already to trading Sven for any of those returns, Sutter at least for 1st and Sheahan but no to taking Hagelin.  

At first I read the topic and I thought "naa, no way Pittsburghs dealing a first for Sutter, even if it means being rid of a cap dump."

Then I read the proposal and it got even worse.

Baertschi alone could fetch a late first. Giving up Sutter in exchange for Hagelin makes this deal bad. I wouldn't count on Pittsburg missing the playoffs. Even if they just miss playoffs that pick has an extremely low chance of moving up.

So that is a no from me

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

1st very likely just a over glorified 2nd rounder. I like Baer and Sutter way more than that package. 

Pittsburgh are not even in a playoff position and if they miss the dance they will pull off the ole Penguin mind trick and get the 1st overall..no way Rutherford gives that up.

9 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Pittsburgh are not even in a playoff position and if they miss the dance they will pull off the ole Penguin mind trick and get the 1st overall..no way Rutherford gives that up.

Yep, right now if you went by winning percentage that would be the 11th overall pick.  Even if they get their act together, you are probably looking at the 20th pick.  You also have the chance of them missing the playoffs and winning the lottery.

Folks are enjoying some illicit substances if they think that Baertschi gets a 1st rounder in return.

He is playing top line minutes and giving 2nd line production.  He is scoring his goals on the PP and not even strength.  Just because he is on our top line, it doesn’t make him a top line player.

When you do a proposal on this board, if most folks think you are giving up ththe farm... and a couple saying that the other team wouldn’t do it... it means you are in the realm of actually being realistic.

51 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep, right now if you went by winning percentage that would be the 11th overall pick.  Even if they get their act together, you are probably looking at the 20th pick.  You also have the chance of them missing the playoffs and winning the lottery.

Folks are enjoying some illicit substances if they think that Baertschi gets a 1st rounder in return.

He is playing top line minutes and giving 2nd line production.  He is scoring his goals on the PP and not even strength.  Just because he is on our top line, it doesn’t make him a top line player.

When you do a proposal on this board, if most folks think you are giving up ththe farm... and a couple saying that the other team wouldn’t do it... it means you are in the realm of actually being realistic.

He plays on average 16min a night.  I wouldn't call that 1st line minutes.   The same thing was said last season but he only averaged 15min - it's only when Eriksson and Granlund got injured that his average went up as their minutes had to be spread out between Chaput, Megna, Shore etc.

Last year and again this season he has the same production rate as Horvat at 5v5.  Same points this season at 5v5.  Horvat has one more goal and Baer has one more primary assist so far this season - 4 more periods for Baer though.

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Sven has 5 goals on pp and 3 even strength. He has 9 even strength assists though compared to 1 pp assist so most of his production comes at even strength. Not really a good comparison to someone like Gagner. who's production came out the pp last year while being sheltered on the 4th line.

18 points in 30 games. Over an 82 game season that's averages to just over 49 points. Is that first line production? No its more of a high second line production. I did a search of points per game from forwards who had played at least 15 games and Sven sits at 130 overall. There are 99 top line players. 

That kind of production from someone that just turned 25 is deserving of a late first rounder or early second rounder. If you think otherwise you can go back to smoking your illicit substances.

Archived