The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, luckylager said:

Welp

The inlaws have been here a few days... I'm thankful there was a hockey game to watch.

If you need me, I'll be deadpan in a chair pretending to care and drinking beer with a whisky side car.

Merry Christmas 

_20171201_212610.JPG

image.png

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Hell no! I can't take their defending for another year and jeez did you see that line change where Stech was coming up the ice with the puck (ok he should have/ or maybe he was going to, dump the puck but he lost it and we have the twins toodling off with their backs to the play not a care in the world.

If this was the first time I had seen them do it this season it would have been bad enough but they seem to hang on until they are exhausted then they "crawl" off the ice without even a glance at the play.

Edler is far too important for us to lose until we know what we have in Juolevi.

and you left out

Get rid of Boucher

Get rid of Goldobin

Get rid of Burmistrov

Get rid of Dowd

All lifetime AHLers and not one of them matches the input we had from Chaput, Skille and Megna (but off course these guys were not shiny and new)

These 4 players are "floaters" and while they may have the occasional good game they are usually passengers in this team. They are no good for a team building towards a SC or even a team hoping to have a long run in the playoffs. Consistent effort, application and visually making a difference when applied to these players show they fail the criteria.

How you can rip on Edler and give players like that a bye, defeats me.

Jeez Alf calm down. It was a pretty good effort from a sadly depleted crew. Boeser and Virtanen were dangerous all night. Someone earlier was ripping Gudbranson but I just didn't see that. Thought he had a solid game. The Canucks did not lose the game because of Markstrom. He made many great saves. IMHO the team is building a base and their last 3 games might not show points but their play was improving. 

Virtanen is a sight to see. I think we are seeing the beginnings of another star for Vancouver. 

Nice to see Virtanen playing with confidence & the coach rewarding him with more ice time. I wonder if Green would be willing to put Virtanen on LW in the new year? Would love to see this line for a stretch of games.

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Just not sure if there is a true playmaker on it, bur Horvat and Boeser can dish the puck well. I just want Virtanen to keep progressing. Move on from the Dowd and Gaunce line ideally. Maybe shuffle it up a bit and do

Eriksson Gagner Virtanen

Put Granlund with the twins for 5 on 5 play

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Jeez Alf calm down. It was a pretty good effort from a sadly depleted crew. Boeser and Virtanen were dangerous all night. Someone earlier was ripping Gudbranson but I just didn't see that. Thought he had a solid game. The Canucks did not lose the game because of Markstrom. He made many great saves. IMHO the team is building a base and their last 3 games might not show points but their play was improving. 

Virtanen is a sight to see. I think we are seeing the beginnings of another star for Vancouver. 

I'm pretty calm believe me. My friends actually compare me to Edler  :wacko:(probably why I defend him)

Anyway you could be right about being on the verge but my point is, it won't be the 4 players who I mentioned who will be there when we break through. Look at our 2011 team and you will see the calibre of 3rd and 4th liners you need to do something in this league.

Regarding Markstrom I tend to disagree. We can't have a goalie who, when we are doing all the pressing tilts the ice in the opposition's favour. It is energy sapping and dispiriting. It doesn't matter how he plays AFTER he lets the first in, he has given the opposition a boost and handicapped his team mates. That's not how good goal tending is meant to work.

I also maintain that the Sedins will not help us to make the transition if they are signed for another year, Edler will. It would be boring if we all thought the same way.

10 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

-awful goaltending 

- awful reffing

- too many injuries

- playing too many minor leaguers 

time to blow it up for this year and restock in the draft one more time 

This team with a health Horvat, Bartechi, Tanev, Sutter would be right in playoff race for 7 or 8th spot..

Look how good they played there first 20 games before all the injuries..

This team is on the right path no question about it..

1. Horvat 22 F

2. Boeser 20 F

3. Bartechi 24 F

4.Grandlund 23 F

5. Virtanen 21 F - now starting to play the way he should speed to net and use his size

6.Goldobin 21 F talent

7. Hutton 24 D

8. Pouliot 23 D

9. Stetcher 23 D  Gudbranson 25 D

10. Demko 21 G - will be a  top 10 goalie in NHL -- 925 sav % on a poor Utica team      

11. Pettersson 18 F future star

12. Gaudett 21F-- plays with grit and has talent #2 centre NHL ready. play in NHL in March

13. Juolevi 19 D - Future #2 D man has talent developing well this year

13. Dahlen 20 F future very bright

14. Lind 19 F kelowna lots of talent

15. Gadjovich !9 F lots of grit much needed

16. Gaunce 23 F gritty 4th line guy

Dipietro G 18 great future lead team to memorial cup last year as 17 yr old

Tryamkin 6'7 23 will be back again, Gunnerson 20 D,  Brisbois 20 D, McEneny 23 D, Chatfield 20 D

Rathbone 18D MacEwen 20 F 

Benning has loaded the team with some very good exciting prospect..

Next year fighting for 7-8 spot and the following year for sure in playoffs.

There playing exciting hockey this year and next year 2018-19 we add Gaudette, Pettersson and Dahlen..

Lind and Gadjovich 2019 season..

2018 draft will be a good one.......

Great future with talent in pipe line..exciting again Go Canucks Go

10 minutes ago, wildcam said:

This team with a health Horvat, Bartechi, Tanev, Sutter would be right in playoff race for 7 or 8th spot..

Look how good they played there first 20 games before all the injuries..

This team is on the right path no question about it..

1. Horvat 22 F

2. Boeser 20 F

3. Bartechi 24 F

4.Grandlund 23 F

5. Virtanen 21 F - now starting to play the way he should speed to net and use his size

6.Goldobin 21 F talent

7. Hutton 24 D

8. Pouliot 23 D

9. Stetcher 23 D  Gudbranson 25 D

10. Demko 21 G - will be a  top 10 goalie in NHL -- 925 sav % on a poor Utica team      

11. Pettersson 18 F future star

12. Gaudett 21F-- plays with grit and has talent #2 centre NHL ready. play in NHL in March

13. Juolevi 19 D - Future #2 D man has talent developing well this year

13. Dahlen 20 F future very bright

14. Lind 19 F kelowna lots of talent

15. Gadjovich !9 F lots of grit much needed

16. Gaunce 23 F gritty 4th line guy

Dipietro G 18 great future lead team to memorial cup last year as 17 yr old

Tryamkin 6'7 23 will be back again, Gunnerson 20 D,  Brisbois 20 D, McEneny 23 D, Chatfield 20 D

Rathbone 18D MacEwen 20 F 

Benning has loaded the team with some very good exciting prospect..

Next year fighting for 7-8 spot and the following year for sure in playoffs.

There playing exciting hockey this year and next year 2018-19 we add Gaudette, Pettersson and Dahlen..

Lind and Gadjovich 2019 season..

2018 draft will be a good one.......

Great future with talent in pipe line..exciting again Go Canucks Go

You forgot Will Lockwood, watch this kid. We will be happy we have him 

29 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I'm pretty calm believe me. My friends actually compare me to Edler  :wacko:(probably why I defend him)

Anyway you could be right about being on the verge but my point is, it won't be the 4 players who I mentioned who will be there when we break through. Look at our 2011 team and you will see the calibre of 3rd and 4th liners you need to do something in this league.

Regarding Markstrom I tend to disagree. We can't have a goalie who, when we are doing all the pressing tilts the ice in the opposition's favour. It is energy sapping and dispiriting. It doesn't matter how he plays AFTER he lets the first in, he has given the opposition a boost and handicapped his team mates. That's not how good goal tending is meant to work.

I also maintain that the Sedins will not help us to make the transition if they are signed for another year, Edler will. It would be boring if we all thought the same way.

+0.5

22 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

my question lad is, if our stars of tomorrow, are not ready to play next year, why would you not sign the sedans for one more year?  even t

hough their over all skills are not as good, they are 2nd and 3rd in scoring. 

i think green is bringing jake along slowly, much like WD did with bo. 

imo, sutter, ericksson and tanev are a lot more important to this team than many fans think. 

i know goalies look bad on some goals but you have to know what went on, on the ice prior to the goal.  i've never played goal so i d k how those mechanics work. boeser can put the puck into small openings with his quick release.  others can too.

11 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

If this were true it would be another 6-1 blow out so.....but yeah edler is and always will be a huge contributor to our down fall. 

You realize that Edler is blind in his left eye don't you?? That's why he never passes to Boeser when Boeser is wide open to his left...lol...Merry Christmas everybody...

Hard fought battle by our boys.  Even when they lose, they put up a good fight and entertain the fans.  Marks let in a couple of baddies, but tightened things up later in the game.  They needed to score more than one goal to win and probably would have won the game, but for the Baer/Bo injuries.

Canuck fans have a lot to look forward to in 2018, but still need to be patient with the team and allow for developmental time and inconsistencies.  However, another successful draft will ensure that the team is well on it's way to the playoff, once again.

Merry Christmas to all the Canuck fans, young and old.  Stay healthy, stay safe and have yourselves a merry little Christmas.

3 hours ago, khay said:

Cloutier is a good guy but I don't know why we hired him and not keep Melanson. I want Cloutier fired at the end of the season. Markstrom is playing more and more like him.

Melanson left for personal reasons.  He needed to be close to family on the east coast (he is from New Brunswick).  He left the Canucks originally in 2016 to be near his 84 year old mother.  The following I-mac article spells it out.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/heart-tugs-melanson-home-canucks-losing-rollie-the-goalie-coach

No surprise that he resurfaced in New Jersey coaching his former pupil and star Cory Schneider.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/melansons-departure-is-the-end-of-an-era-for-canucks-goaltending

FWIW management speaks of Cloutier in glowing terms.  They really like him.  I doubt he's going anywhere.

I think the real issue is that both our goal tenders are really good backups and need lots of practice time.  Neither are really capable mentally of carrying the freight.  

Miller was really good.  I think many fans took him for granted

7 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

my question lad is, if our stars of tomorrow, are not ready to play next year, why would you not sign the sedans for one more year?  even t

imo, sutter, ericksson and tanev are a lot more important to this team than many fans think. 

i know goalies look bad on some goals but you have to know what went on, on the ice prior to the goal.  i've never played goal so i d k how those mechanics work. boeser can put the puck into small openings with his quick release.  others can too.

I agree will be interesting to see if they sign Sedins after this season as there in there last year..

Might sign them for one more at 2.5 mil each to be around for Pettersson and Dahlen next season..

twins are  great leaders show young guys what it takes to be a pro with off ice training and being professionals off the ice no part guys..very discipline .

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Hard fought battle by our boys.  Even when they lose, they put up a good fight and entertain the fans.  Marks let in a couple of baddies, but tightened things up later in the game.  They needed to score more than one goal to win and probably would have won the game, but for the Baer/Bo injuries.

Canuck fans have a lot to look forward to in 2018, but still need to be patient with the team and allow for developmental time and inconsistencies.  However, another successful draft will ensure that the team is well on it's way to the playoff, once again.

Merry Christmas to all the Canuck fans, young and old.  Stay healthy, stay safe and have yourselves a merry little Christmas.

I agree there playing with lots of grit and heart, future is good. They will make a good run when everyone is back from injuries in mid January.. Very exciting to watch.

18 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

I agree you need veterans with rookies so important...

Archived