The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Good effort.  I thought the Dowd lineplayed good against St. Louis' top line.  What was irritating was listening to Bob Cole try and do play by play.  He should have retired 5 yrs ago.  And Randorf isn't much better.  He tells stories during the ongoing play covering up his lack of knowledge of who's on the ice.  Irritating.

9 hours ago, guntrix said:

Markstrom let in two softies and ultimately cost us the game. Didn’t think there was anything controversial there. It’s always easier to blame the refs for our shortcomings. 

Markstrom did let in two soft goals. 

The officiating was trash, once again failing to make calls on obvious infractions. This isn't a Canuck centric issue either. It's league wide. 

Some posters need to leave leave their personal grudges behind.  

This isn't a personal grudge. You ain't that special, kermie. You were wrong, so...I let you know. 

16 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

my question lad is, if our stars of tomorrow, are not ready to play next year, why would you not sign the sedans for one more year?  even t

hough their over all skills are not as good, they are 2nd and 3rd in scoring. 

i think green is bringing jake along slowly, much like WD did with bo. 

imo, sutter, ericksson and tanev are a lot more important to this team than many fans think. 

i know goalies look bad on some goals but you have to know what went on, on the ice prior to the goal.  i've never played goal so i d k how those mechanics work. boeser can put the puck into small openings with his quick release.  others can too.

You're right Joe, it's a tough judgement call when to give young players free reign.

Myself, from this season, I just wanted to see growth from the younger players and I think that by and large we're seeing it.  Progression is just a little too slow for most people. 

Stecher for example seems to be having a sophomore slump this year which is something we often don't see from college players. 

Hutton is another who is struggling to live up to the promise he showed in his rookie year.

Pouliot is one who is benefiting from the ice time.  He does some great things out there but is making mistakes too.  Needs time (and he;s getting it)

That's a lot of young regulars on the back end who don't help the goal tending.  Face it, the Canucks give up a lot of odd man rushes.

Virtanen finally looks like he's getting it.

Goldobin has some nice skill and is getting better but is not quite there.

Gaunce, like the heavy game.  Is the NHL too fast for him?  He just seems to rush too much when he gets his chances.

Granlund has taken a step back

Horvat, Baertschi, Boeser good progress

Markstrom and Nilsson consistency issues.  

As with the loss of Miller, we will miss the Sedins when they're gone.  They started poorly but have had a pretty good couple of months.  As a 2nd or 3rd line, they are fine.  As a 1st line, they pile up the minuses.

I agree about Sutter.  He remains a top right handed face off man and is strong defensively.  His return will make a big difference.  

The lack of passing to Brock on the PP is weird. It reminds me of how, when the twins played that stretch with Virt earlier this year, they literally NEVER passed him the puck, not even once- I dare someone to find a clip of one of the twins passing the puck to Virt! But the Boeser thing is even weirder.... It certainly seems deliberate, I wonder what the motivation might be? 

Been reading comments (mostly negative) about Bob Cole in this and other forums.  I dont get it.  The guy is like 84 yrs old and is a legend (at least I think so). He has called some of the greatest games ever and has been doing it since the late 60s early 70s    I find that he has the same ability that Jim Robson did, he could make the game seem more exciting just by the way he would call the game.  Sure he messes up sometimes, cripes he was born in 1933, but shouldn't we give some leeway and respect to the old guy in light of his age and his accomplishments?   Maybe I see it this way because I grew up listening to him or maybe im tired of the cut throat no mercy opinions that seem to be abundant these days.

9 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Been reading comments (mostly negative) about Bob Cole in this and other forums.  I dont get it.  The guy is like 84 yrs old 

What's not to get about a guy being 84 years old calling a nationally televised hockey game in such a manner that you have to add chemical stimulants to your regular alcohol intake, just to stay awake for the duration of the broadcast?

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

my question lad is, if our stars of tomorrow, are not ready to play next year, why would you not sign the sedans for one more year?  even t

imo, sutter, ericksson and tanev are a lot more important to this team than many fans think. 

i know goalies look bad on some goals but you have to know what went on, on the ice prior to the goal.  i've never played goal so i d k how those mechanics work. boeser can put the puck into small openings with his quick release.  others can too.

Joe, I doubt I would have agreed with resigning the Twins again but their play, especially on the PP, has impressed this season. That said it comes down to a decision about which vets are kept and who is moved or not resigned. Ultimately the younger players have to get the TOI and the prospects a good look. Competitive games like last night are great learning efforts. You cannot lose 2/3's (Bo and Baer) of your top line and your #1 defensive center (Sutter) and expect great puck possession. 

Sure Markstrom has let in a few weak goals. How many spectacular save did he make. Last night IMO he stopped 3 sure goals. You talked about what happened prior to the goal. Not as bad last night but when possession falters in the Van d-zone the coverage starts to scramble. The goalie starts to 2nd guess the coverage and that causes weak goals. If the Canucks were a bonafide playoff contender I might be more concerned. They are not and won't be for another couple of years. Acquisition-Development-Assessment has to be the mantra going forward. If management did not have patience and heaven bid listened to CDC half the players on this roster would be gone or in Utica. 

Just now, darkpoet said:

What's not to get about a guy being 84 years old calling a nationally televised hockey game in such a manner that you have to add chemical stimulants to your regular alcohol intake, just to stay awake for the duration of the broadcast?

come on hes not that bad...have you heard the oilers broadcast...i find that guy way worse (is it ramada?), or randorf sounding like hes got a hooker in a race car every time there is an odd man rush...

2 hours ago, darkpoet said:

You say all that like it's a bad thing .....

3 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Good to see Brock get to 20 before 2018!  Really is such a bright spot this season and it looks like it has ignited something in Jake.  Was even nice to see Gaunce be a bit more dangerous on the O-zone.

Totally agree. 

By Brock fully buying into Green's system and getting attention league wide, Jake is being shown that there's a path in front of him too. He can be just as much of a force in different ways. I hope those two have a good relationship and some of Brock's maturity, composure, and self-awareness rub off on JV. 

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

It's a great question Joe. The question going into next year. 

For me, the reason I hope they aren't signed even for one more year (despite being serviceable point getters) is that they don't fit in with the entire rest of Green's system. A system that relies on a certain level of grittiness, a hard back check, and team defense. Reality is (again, IMO) this team needs to turn a corner in identity and leadership and I believe that transition will be stalled as long as 22/33 are still around. 

We can pick up others - as posted out by @Hutton Wink yesterday - who can fill the gap in points next couple years. Short term contracts that bridge both worlds until we have enough depth developing in our own system to make a run. 

Last thing I would say is that the Sedins deserve to be celebrated by this entire fan base. We've had something in them that we'll likely never have again. But the longer they stay the louder the cries for them to retire will get. I'd way rather watch them exit while they still have something to give and before it feels to them like they're no longer appreciated by this fanbase. 

Interesting thing is, apparently they are projecting to hit 50-60 points this year.  If that's the case, I'm not so sure they retire, and even if we didn't resign them no doubt they would get offers as that's pretty much first-line production now.  They said they will take it year by year, but maybe it will just come down to them leaving when they either no longer enjoy it or simply feel they have done enough.  No idea, but they don't seem like the type that will try to squeeze every possible game out of their careers as possible.

3 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Been reading comments (mostly negative) about Bob Cole in this and other forums.  I dont get it.  The guy is like 84 yrs old and is a legend (at least I think so). He has called some of the greatest games ever and has been doing it since the late 60s early 70s    I find that he has the same ability that Jim Robson did, he could make the game seem more exciting just by the way he would call the game.  Sure he messes up sometimes, cripes he was born in 1933, but shouldn't we give some leeway and respect to the old guy in light of his age and his accomplishments?   Maybe I see it this way because I grew up listening to him or maybe im tired of the cut throat no mercy opinions that seem to be abundant these days.

Agreed. I make this kind of a must watch game because I know he is the one call it. He doesn't call many games anymore let alone Canucks games. I was very excited to find out he was the one doing the game and I made sure I get to watch the whole thing because these games could be some of the last games he calls at the NHL level before he fully retires.

51 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Interesting thing is, apparently they are projecting to hit 50-60 points this year.  If that's the case, I'm not so sure they retire, and even if we didn't resign them no doubt they would get offers as that's pretty much first-line production now.  They said they will take it year by year, but maybe it will just come down to them leaving when they either no longer enjoy it or simply feel they have done enough.  No idea, but they don't seem like the type that will try to squeeze every possible game out of their careers as possible.

50-60 pts is not easy to get. But if we re-sign them, they will require favourable zone starts and  take up key offensive situations. We have young players that are ready to take over and already have. I would like to see other young players have the opportunity as well. It's also a pain to watch their defensive effort which does not set a good example

9 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Agreed. I make this kind of a must watch game because I know he is the one call it. He doesn't call many games anymore let alone Canucks games. I was very excited to find out he was the one doing the game and I made sure I get to watch the whole thing because these games could be some of the last games he calls at the NHL level before he fully retires.

Jim Robson sings better than Bob Cole announces ::D

Archived