The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Markstrom did let in two soft goals. 

The officiating was trash, once again failing to make calls on obvious infractions. This isn't a Canuck centric issue either. It's league wide. 

I agree. It’s hard for refs to consistently ref games when the rulebook is constantly changing on them. They’ve been equally bad for everyone. I seem to recall them missing out on a few Blues calls as well (something many people conveniently missed). 

We’ve allowed 45 goals in December alone, with two more games pending against the Blackhawks and Kings. Is that a record? I think we need to take a long look at ourselves before we point the finger at the zebras. 

Merry Christmas. 

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Edler is only 31 years old but moves like hes 38

Everybody with an Edler jersey needs to get it re stitched ‘Elder’. The guy has aged before his time.  They say the body goes first, but in this case I think his mind has gone. 

He gets lost lost all the time. 

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

my question lad is, if our stars of tomorrow, are not ready to play next year, why would you not sign the sedans for one more year?  even t

hough their over all skills are not as good, they are 2nd and 3rd in scoring. 

i think green is bringing jake along slowly, much like WD did with bo. 

imo, sutter, ericksson and tanev are a lot more important to this team than many fans think. 

i know goalies look bad on some goals but you have to know what went on, on the ice prior to the goal.  i've never played goal so i d k how those mechanics work. boeser can put the puck into small openings with his quick release.  others can too.

I like what we did this year.

Signed Gagner, maybe he has not worked out as well, Vanek & MDZ.  We needed those spots in the roster to replace Chaput, Megna & Shore.  We were shorthanded in an aggregious way much of last year! These guys were brought in to fill holes in our roster. Because we deadpanned last year. It was unacceptable.

We also signed Burmistrov & Wiercioch.  Brought in White & Upshall as PTO's. These are capable NHL vets. Albeit without much upside. To compete with, ensure Gaunce, Boeser, also Boucher, Goldobin, Juolevi, later Pouliot.were not gifted spots.  I would like to see this same exercise repeated. 

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

You're right Joe, it's a tough judgement call when to give young players free reign.

Myself, from this season, I just wanted to see growth from the younger players and I think that by and large we're seeing it.  Progression is just a little too slow for most people. 

Stecher for example seems to be having a sophomore slump this year which is something we often don't see from college players. 

Hutton is another who is struggling to live up to the promise he showed in his rookie year.

Pouliot is one who is benefiting from the ice time.  He does some great things out there but is making mistakes too.  Needs time (and he;s getting it)

That's a lot of young regulars on the back end who don't help the goal tending.  Face it, the Canucks give up a lot of odd man rushes.

Virtanen finally looks like he's getting it.

Goldobin has some nice skill and is getting better but is not quite there.

Gaunce, like the heavy game.  Is the NHL too fast for him?  He just seems to rush too much when he gets his chances.

Granlund has taken a step back

Horvat, Baertschi, Boeser good progress

Markstrom and Nilsson consistency issues.  

As with the loss of Miller, we will miss the Sedins when they're gone.  They started poorly but have had a pretty good couple of months.  As a 2nd or 3rd line, they are fine.  As a 1st line, they pile up the minuses.

I agree about Sutter.  He remains a top right handed face off man and is strong defensively.  His return will make a big difference.  

I am not sure, however, we are ready to pitch Vanek & the Sedins to the woods? To make room for youngsters.  

I imagine Vanek will be gone.  

By the end of the year > we should know what we have in Boucher & Goldobin. That should be the barometer IMO. If they look ready for 2knd and 3rd line roles?  Then we can probably retire the Twins...

If not, we should keep the Twins. Let Boucher & Goldobin, and new Wiercioch & Burmistrov clones fight it out with Gaudette & Petterson, and Gadjovich for roles on the team.

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

You're right Joe, it's a tough judgement call when to give young players free reign.

Myself, from this season, I just wanted to see growth from the younger players and I think that by and large we're seeing it.  Progression is just a little too slow for most people. 

Stecher for example seems to be having a sophomore slump this year which is something we often don't see from college players. 

Hutton is another who is struggling to live up to the promise he showed in his rookie year.

Pouliot is one who is benefiting from the ice time.  He does some great things out there but is making mistakes too.  Needs time (and he;s getting it)

That's a lot of young regulars on the back end who don't help the goal tending.  Face it, the Canucks give up a lot of odd man rushes.

Virtanen finally looks like he's getting it.

Goldobin has some nice skill and is getting better but is not quite there.

Gaunce, like the heavy game.  Is the NHL too fast for him?  He just seems to rush too much when he gets his chances.

Granlund has taken a step back

Horvat, Baertschi, Boeser good progress

Markstrom and Nilsson consistency issues.  

As with the loss of Miller, we will miss the Sedins when they're gone.  They started poorly but have had a pretty good couple of months.  As a 2nd or 3rd line, they are fine.  As a 1st line, they pile up the minuses.

I agree about Sutter.  He remains a top right handed face off man and is strong defensively.  His return will make a big difference.  

I disagree with two of your assessments.  First, Goldobin.  He has potential but lacks NHL strength and tenacity.  He and Green are obviously at odds, especially since Green told the media that Goldobin wasn't playing because they disagree with what passes for NHL level effort away from the puck. Second, that Granlund has taken a step back.  I think the problem is that he's been used as the team's Swiss Army Knife, and for the most part has been expected to play a defensive game which makes it hard to play effective offense.  When given a chance on the PP after Bo's injury, he came through.  Also, Granny was the trigger man for the Twins for much of last season, and that padded his goal stats. I'd like to see him get a chance to center the Boeser line instead of Gagnier. He seems to be as good on faceoffs, plays a much better defensive game, and I think would be a better playmaker.

we'll have 9 forwards coming back, not counting the sedins or vanek, the jury is still out on goldobin, boucher and dowd. 

how long will it be before pettersson, dahlen, gaudette, lind, gadjovich and lockwood are ready for prime time? 

can we get by without the sedins until they are ready? 

6 hours ago, smithers joe said:

my question lad is, if our stars of tomorrow, are not ready to play next year, why would you not sign the sedans for one more year?  even t

hough their over all skills are not as good, they are 2nd and 3rd in scoring. 

i think green is bringing jake along slowly, much like WD did with bo. 

imo, sutter, ericksson and tanev are a lot more important to this team than many fans think. 

i know goalies look bad on some goals but you have to know what went on, on the ice prior to the goal.  i've never played goal so i d k how those mechanics work. boeser can put the puck into small openings with his quick release.  others can too.

Joe I think you misunderstand me. I am all for Sutter, Ericsson, Tanev and even Vanek and MDZ but that is because they are defensively sound. 

I am not impressed by the Sedins either in attack OR defence. By that I mean they look ok in attack until you compare them with someone else at their salary cap - then it doesn't look so good. Then when you take their defence into account the whole thing doesn't make sense to me. What makes it worse is what used to be their best quality - they are a pair. So now their shortcomings are doubled. I would rather see Hansen back for 2 years than Daniel. I would rather have Josh Bailley than Henrik now.

That is my opinion and it is based on what I see. If we don't re-sign them next season it gives us $14M IN cap space with which to insert one or two players with as much attacking finesse coupled with strong defence - don't you think that would help the youngsters more?

Tavares, Kane, Bailey, Hansen, Reaves, Eler. Just imagine Tavares/Kane and say Bailley instead of the Twins.

Pettersson - Tavares - Ericsson

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Gaunce - Sutter - Virtanen

Gadjovich - Granlund - Hansen

28 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I disagree with two of your assessments.  First, Goldobin.  He has potential but lacks NHL strength and tenacity.  He and Green are obviously at odds, especially since Green told the media that Goldobin wasn't playing because they disagree with what passes for NHL level effort away from the puck. Second, that Granlund has taken a step back.  I think the problem is that he's been used as the team's Swiss Army Knife, and for the most part has been expected to play a defensive game which makes it hard to play effective offense.  When given a chance on the PP after Bo's injury, he came through.  Also, Granny was the trigger man for the Twins for much of last season, and that padded his goal stats. I'd like to see him get a chance to center the Boeser line instead of Gagnier. He seems to be as good on faceoffs, plays a much better defensive game, and I think would be a better playmaker.

I didn't intend to write a report card but more to list players who I was watching for improvement this year.  Having said that, thanks for adding this.  Goldy may be doing worse than I thought.  It is better than before he was sent to Utica which is what I really mean't.  What is his progress really like?  You've shed some light here.  And Granny I think was the 3rd player added to a defense first pair (Sutter and Dorsett) which has been permanently broken up.  I hope that he can get it back together because he certainly showed some nice skill last season.

5 hours ago, shazzam said:

50-60 pts is not easy to get. But if we re-sign them, they will require favourable zone starts and  take up key offensive situations. We have young players that are ready to take over and already have. I would like to see other young players have the opportunity as well. It's also a pain to watch their defensive effort which does not set a good example

which ones do you see making the team next year.?

4 hours ago, guntrix said:

I agree. It’s hard for refs to consistently ref games when the rulebook is constantly changing on them. They’ve been equally bad for everyone. I seem to recall them missing out on a few Blues calls as well (something many people conveniently missed). 

We’ve allowed 45 goals in December alone, with two more games pending against the Blackhawks and Kings. Is that a record? I think we need to take a long look at ourselves before we point the finger at the zebras. 

Merry Christmas. 

my son did some reffing when he was younger but still only sees and complains about the one against us. human nature i guess. 

21 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

-awful goaltending 

- awful reffing

- too many injuries

- playing too many minor leaguers 

time to blow it up for this year and restock in the draft one more time 

Blow what up exactly?  forgive me but i cant stand comments and opinions like what you just said.

I am the first guy to rip the twins for their lack of defensive play and finish lately. But if you look at when we were playing well with a healthy lineup. They were not the goats on a lot of plays. Green was playing them exactly how they should be deployed at this point in their careers. Against the 3rd D pairing and PP. They are overmatched and getting overplayed. Which happens when you get older in this league. We just have to grin and bear the situation until Bo, Sutter and Baertschi get back. And ride out the season hopefully getting lucky like NJ, Dallas or Philly. And I’m all for signing the twins for another stop gap year only if it’s for dirt cheap. Like 4 million combined. 

2 hours ago, linden17 said:

Blow what up exactly?  forgive me but i cant stand comments and opinions like what you just said.

Let me translate for you 

blow up = tank (again) as in we won’t make the playoffs this year. So we go back and stock up on a few higher picks to help build the future. 

Do do you understand now or shall I draw you a picture? 

7 hours ago, guntrix said:

They've been bad for years, way before the rulebook "constantly changed". They have missed calls, and created a habit of making up calls to somehow exonerate themselves from their horrible choices. 

They have sucked for some time. 

7 hours ago, guntrix said:

Merry Christmas. 

The goaltending was never airtight when you factor in the fact that the team had two backups manning the net. That, once again, doesn't let the horribly inefficient officiating off the hook. At all

Merry Christmas. 

5 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Let me translate for you 

blow up = tank (again) as in we won’t make the playoffs this year. So we go back and stock up on a few higher picks to help build the future. 

Do do you understand now or shall I draw you a picture? 

no i dont understand. you say blow the team up because we are losing. when you lose you dont climb in the standings. We have been losing! Therefore your wish for the number one overall grows greater kind of. If youre suggesting we purposely throw games ( which you are)  thats a horrible example for our young guys when we have demonstrated a much harder and structered team this year. The Canucks are exciting to watch for the first time in a few years. They are on the right track. Throwing games would stall this growth. Hypothetically, lets say we "tanked". That still doesnt guarantee your spot at 1st overall. We have known this for a few years. We havent had good luck with that. What we have had, is very good luck when it comes to our managements drafting ability. I trust them this year too. We probably wont make the playoffs. We will probably get a top five pick. We our doing just fine with an exciting team who for the most part is in almost every hockey game because of Structure and hard work. No Tank.

Bob Cole was rough. He lost track of the play numerous times, called the wrong player consistently and generally sounded confused. I feel embarrassed for the fellow, his time has surely passed. It is weird that CBC would keep both him and Cherry on the air as they are both clearly losing their mental faculties in front of our eyes. 

And I cringed during a number of non-calls against Canucks, mostly in the second period. Nothing comparing to the infractions allowed on Virt though. 

Archived