The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burmistrov Retires from NHL

Roberts

1 minute ago, Mackcanuck said:

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 1m1 minute ago

Burmistrov agent Dan Milstein tells me, "He wanted to go back home. No other reason. The #Canucks were more than accommodating to his request."

Good to hear its a clean break and everybody seems satisfied with the outcome. Canucks clear a contract spot, free up a roster spot and the player gets to go to his preferred destination and in time for Christmas. 

2 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

We Still owe $508K on his cap. :unsure:

He is retiring, I am pretty sure that should get rid of the cap hit seeing as he is not a 35+ contract.

1 minute ago, ice orca said:

I wonder if Goldobin will follow him out the door.

That would be interesting. May benefit the Canucks really. He needs to make the team next year or waivers. He could bolt to Russia, Nucks retain his rights, he develops over there. Still hope he figures it out here though.

9 minutes ago, ice orca said:

I wonder if Goldobin will follow him out the door.

I doubt it. Goldobin has been quoted as saying as recently as this September that he doesn't want to go back to Russia:

"I’m not thinking about leaving," Goldobin said. "Of course I would be disappointed if I don’t make the team, but I don’t want to go back to Russia. I want to play the best league in the world. This is my dream. I’m not going to just give up on it like that." 

If he wants out of the organization before his contract is up, he would most likely request a trade. Even so, I think he would have more patience than that, especially with Larionov as his agent.

5 minutes ago, Toews said:

Good to hear its a clean break and everybody seems satisfied with the outcome. Canucks clear a contract spot, free up a roster spot and the player gets to go to his preferred destination and in time for Christmas. 

He is retiring, I am pretty sure that should get rid of the cap hit seeing as he is not a 35+ contract.

Excellent!

If Nikolay Goldobin wasn't Russian we would never question his commitment to the organization. I am not saying it is not possible for him to head to Russia but there is really no indication from the player that he wants to go back. He has diligently put in his time with the Comets with nary a peep. Maybe its time we stop speculating about Goldobin to Russia until there is some evidence that supports this theory. 

9 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

He is..? If it weren't for injuries he wouldn't even be with the Canucks. If he is still a Comet at the end of next season I'd say theres a good chance he doesn't re-sign.

His ELC still runs for another season.

Archived