The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burmistrov Retires from NHL

Roberts

He played barely 4 minutes in the San Jose game. Sucks man, but it is what it is. Good luck in Russia, Burmistrov.

Maybe he comes back in the near future but who knows.

40 minutes ago, b3. said:

Off to Olympics/KHL.

Edit: also dug his own grave when he questioned the coaching staff publicly 

When did he criticize his coaching staff? He's said many times he'll do whats asked of him. 

Bruuh. I think this hurts our depth with so many injuries, and now 2 guys fleeing to Europe. 

The Canucks gave him plenty of chances but he faltered. Burmistrov is an enigma, 350 games in this league, 101 points - he can play. He just seems to lack the consistency, or drive that coaches want. 

I understand why he did it though; being benched for an extra D would hurt anyone's pride. 

Right now, we can still bring up Chaput, but Megna is injured. Utica has already been depleted of much of it's talent, so if we want a second extra forward, it will likely be LaBate/Carcone/Cassels. The Canucks and Comets are in a tough spot, and our depth has all but disappeared. 

Well he gets to play hockey for a living in his home country, that's a great second ( or first ) option as Tryamkin chose to do.

Now my concerns shift to Goldobin, will Green invest more ice time or run the risk of losing Nicolay too.

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

The guy was under contract.......took his pay check in good faith

I hate quitter's! Probably heard he was going down and didn't want the AHL pay check!

He was on a 2 way wasn't he?

One-way - same salary regardless of where he plays.

While Burmy's game justifies healthy scratches, it is concerning that another European player has bolted from the Canucks to the KHL/Europe

Burmy started off very good in exhibition with JV and Gagner as line mates. He had speed , creativity and could have turned out as a decent 3rd 4th line center. His FO % tailed off, but was better than Hank and Gaunce.

Are the Canucks mishandling European players (Tram, Burmy, Rodin and possibly Goldy)  or is this just the nature of the business where they always have the KHL and other European leagues that are better designed to their game.

I mean looking at Linden Vey lighting it up in the KHL is a perfect example  of a lighter perimeter player having success of there and can't cut in the NHL.

Even Jonathon Dahlen who appears to have a good chance to jump to the NHL next year as a call up from Utica next year is questionable.

Anyway just food for thought for Canucks management to start looking outside the box on handling European players differently from the get go, and maybe that starts now with the handling of Goldy, giving him every opportunity to have success here, instead of the KHL.

9 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Really doesn't entice European players to sign with us in the future.  Less then a year and we have had 3 players bolt from us.  Word gets around too.

Not a great trend to set IMO.

Hopefully this doesn't bleed into others in our system.

2 of whom were Russian malcontents

the 3rd being a guy who had one injury after another then couldn't break the lineup on a bad team when healthy.

I'm not worried. 

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I still hate quitter's......especially in the middle of the season! 

Friedman wrote in his 30 thoughts that the Canucks were likely trying to trade him.  It wasn't working out.  Canucks are probably happy to clear the roster spot and not have to pay the rest of his contract.  They are also not spending unnecessary time developing him and can focus on others.

Poor Burmi, I'll always be rooting for him. Truly feel like he never got a fair shake in Van.

The anti-Russian sentiment on this board and amongst the NHL fandom is really disappointing. People are characterizing him and others like him as a coward- a "quitter" "bolting" to the K- rather than a man making a shrewd career decision. Why should he toil away on the 3rd/4th line with irregular playing time in a foreign country when he has the chance for more consistent time, comparable or better play, a shot at the Olympics, and can be closer to family (he's recently engaged so I presume the wedding's coming up).

I'm sad to see him go, but it's not surprising. And honestly I don't blame him (or Tryamkin, or Rodin).

Archived