The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burmistrov Retires from NHL

Roberts

No hard feelings.

He gave it a shot here - realistically it was understandable that Green went with other depth forwards - for the most part they were and are all outperforming Burmistrov.  But I also think the Canucks built some solid depth to compete with.   That depth may not be capable of stepping up and filling 4/6 of the top 6, but nevertheless, as depth forwards the team has fairly good wealth, so no great loss nor shame in Burmistrov not commanding a spot here.

Best of luck in the KHL or wherever he elects to play next.

45 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

The guy was under contract.......took his pay check in good faith

I hate quitter's! Probably heard he was going down and didn't want the AHL pay check!

He was on a 2 way wasn't he?

I suspect Benning was trying to move him and found no takers. A sit down about his future probably meant Utica and he decided against it. AT some point the money (if paid) makes more sense in the KHL if you come from Russia. The last time I checked I have not seen a Canadian or American bolt for the KHL. -_--_-

I would be hesitant drafting a Russian player who has no CHL experience. Russians are different than your typical Euro who comes over to play. Good luck to Burmi. 

Wish him luck in his new endeavour wherever that may take him . Too bad he could not dig in more an grabed a bottom 6 spot here. *+ he only needed 50 or so games to qualify his NHL pension .This says to me as a fringe player he was not playing for the money, but really tried to grab a regular full time position on roster . When this became apparent that it would not happen he made the choice to leave.He has some pride as a player but could not overcome shortcomings an or his game deficiency to be successful here.

kinda sucks to get news at Christmas but oh well it is what it is.

19 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

Poor Burmi, I'll always be rooting for him. Truly feel like he never got a fair shake in Van.

The anti-Russian sentiment on this board and amongst the NHL fandom is really disappointing. People are characterizing him and others like him as a coward- a "quitter" "bolting" to the K- rather than a man making a shrewd career decision. Why should he toil away on the 3rd/4th line with irregular playing time in a foreign country when he has the chance for more consistent time, comparable or better play, a shot at the Olympics, and can be closer to family (he's recently engaged so I presume the wedding's coming up).

I'm sad to see him go, but it's not surprising. And honestly I don't blame him (or Tryamkin, or Rodin).

Yeah, why would people be characterizing Burmistrov as a coward?

lMbzNV0.gif

There were two contributing factors, first being not getting to play full-time, the second was IOC's decision to ban Russia from the Olympics - he was one of the first NHL players to react on this news. In a healthy lineup, he was most likely a 13th/14th forward. It's unfortunate it had to end this way, but I guess it's the best for him and the Canucks, and he likely had a backup plan where if 'x' doesn't happen by Christmas break, he will have to do something about it.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, why would people be characterizing Burmistrov as a coward?

lMbzNV0.gif

That was at the end of the scrum when the refs were distributing penalties.  Hartnell got a 10min misconduct for that move.  Burmistrov is the one that was pulling Watson off at the 10 second mark:

52 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Really doesn't entice European players to sign with us in the future.  Less then a year and we have had 3 players bolt from us.  Word gets around too.

Not a great trend to set IMO.

Hopefully this doesn't bleed into others in our system.

Sedins played over 1000 games, Edler over 700 games. Baertschi, Granlund, Vanek, Eriksson, Markstrom, Nilsson all brought in to play roles for the team.  The ones that want to be here and put in the effort to be a NHLer are here. I'm not worried about the trend of Europeans (or any other players) that cannot crack an NHL lineup not wanting to be here.

Hmm, imho, this may only increase the perception that the Vancouver Canucks is a Russian player graveyard. In any event, all the best to Burmistrov and hopefully, we'll see Tryamkin back here within a few years.

At the time of his signing, here's what Benning had to say about him: ""Alexander put up good numbers towards the end of last season with Arizona and has shown good offensive potential throughout his young career. We're excited to give him an opportunity to help our team compete next year."

I forgot that Burmistrov was the 8th overall pick in 2010 (where infamous Erik Gudbranson got drafted 3rd overall and our dearly departed Emerson Etem was considered the 8th best North American skater).

Just because Burmistrov is leaving doesn't mean we have to gift Goldy ice-time. Both have a similar issue and I'd put Boucher in there too. They wait at the edge of a puck battle for a puck to pop loose instead of getting in there and physically battling for that puck themselves. We need guys with the balls to go get that puck themselves sometimes. The Sedins at least will physically engage in the corners.

Archived