The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burmistrov Retires from NHL

Roberts

The KHL is really no better hockey than the AHL.  Linden Vey is putting up about the same stats there as he did in his AHL career.  Unless they were a can't-miss prospect right out of the box who didn't have to learn the North American game or improve his skill level, I'd be less inclined to sign a Russian because they seem quick to pull the plug and run to Mother Russia if things aren't going their way.  The other Euros don't seem to be so quick to give up and have less to play for in their home countries.  The Euros also seem to think of the KHL the last gasp for their careers.  I'd agree, as I'd rather be living in ANY city in Canada or the US than ANY craphole of a city in Russia being paid in Rubles. 

3 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

The KHL is really no better hockey than the AHL.  Linden Vey is putting up about the same stats there as he did in his AHL career.  Unless they were a can't-miss prospect right out of the box who didn't have to learn the North American game or improve his skill level, I'd be less inclined to sign a Russian because they seem quick to pull the plug and run to Mother Russia if things aren't going their way.  The other Euros don't seem to be so quick to give up and have less to play for in their home countries.  The Euros also seem to think of the KHL the last gasp for their careers.  I'd agree, as I'd rather be living in ANY city in Canada or the US than ANY craphole of a city in Russia being paid in Rubles. 

Pays more and it's tax free.

Oh you mean the level of play?

2 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Yeah, 'cause the Bure guy was absolute crap!

larinov was the perfect team player. not selfish and hated the way the players in russia were treated. canucks had to pay russia a some of money each year he played in his initial contract. when that contract was up he did not want vancouver to pay them anymore. vancouver felt obliged to keep paying russia, so igor opted to go elsewhere. 

I am not going to compare Burmistrov a UFA signing & Goldobin a prospect we acquired last year.

But they are both Russian, and despite reports Goldy wont go back to Russia, his agent today asked that he get a fair chance to play regularly the rest of the year. I hope Travis Green can live with some mistakes from Goldy and give him that chance.

We have to respect the threat of Russians going back home. WD was less than fair to Tryamkin the 2nd half of last year and we lost him, lets not let this mistake happen again with Goldobin.

We are a rebuilding team, if you cant give players under 24 a proper shot to prove they are NHL ready then you are not going to succeed fully in the near future. All players especially younger ones will make mistakes & will have to work on rounding out all parts of their game as best as they can.

I hope Benning, LInden & Green dont look at this as nothing an continue the lack of minutes for Goldobin. He has 2-3 weeks where he should be getting quality ice time while Bo & Baer are out. Once we get Sutter Bo & Baer back unless we make a trade or 2 I find it very hard to still see Goldy in the NHL. Unless he plays very good the next few weeks.

6 minutes ago, Yotes said:

I am not going to compare Burmistrov a UFA signing & Goldobin a prospect we acquired last year.

But they are both Russian, and despite reports Goldy wont go back to Russia, his agent today asked that he get a fair chance to play regularly the rest of the year. I hope Travis Green can live with some mistakes from Goldy and give him that chance.

We have to respect the threat of Russians going back home. WD was less than fair to Tryamkin the 2nd half of last year and we lost him, lets not let this mistake happen again with Goldobin.

We are a rebuilding team, if you cant give players under 24 a proper shot to prove they are NHL ready then you are not going to succeed fully in the near future. All players especially younger ones will make mistakes & will have to work on rounding out all parts of their game as best as they can.

I hope Benning, LInden & Green dont look at this as nothing an continue the lack of minutes for Goldobin. He has 2-3 weeks where he should be getting quality ice time while Bo & Baer are out. Once we get Sutter Bo & Baer back unless we make a trade or 2 I find it very hard to still see Goldy in the NHL. Unless he plays very good the next few weeks.

Goldobin and Green seem to be having a disagreement as to what constitutes NHL effort away from the puck.  That's why he hasn't been playing.  When a coach and a player disagree, guess who wins when it comes to ice-time.  I trust Green to make sure Goldobin develops the proper skills and work ethic to make it in the league.  If he refuses to learn, then he is welcome to go back to Russia.

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Good hockey player, that just can't keep up to the NHL pace. 

Goodluck in the KHL!

I think this is accurate. He either couldn't or wouldn't do the things needed to stay in a bottom 6 NHL role, which I found frustrating to watch and probably really sucked for him. But hopefully he finds a good spot in the KHL.

High drafted kid that just could not transition into the show....

Canucks signed him for depth in case the kids weren't ready.

Canucks tried to shop him but no team was interested.

Sad to see guys lose their spots on our NHL roster but  he will  still do fine in another tier of pro hockey.

Great news as it means more opportunities for our kids and another vacant contract in case JB can turn up another diamond in the rough....

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Really doesn't entice European players to sign with us in the future.  Less then a year and we have had 3 players bolt from us.  Word gets around too.

Not a great trend to set IMO.

Hopefully this doesn't bleed into others in our system.

Disagree... Players er dying to get an NHL contract. They don't care the slightest, what happened to other Europeans.

Money talks.

3 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Poor Burmi, I'll always be rooting for him. Truly feel like he never got a fair shake in Van.

The anti-Russian sentiment on this board and amongst the NHL fandom is really disappointing. People are characterizing him and others like him as a coward- a "quitter" "bolting" to the K- rather than a man making a shrewd career decision. Why should he toil away on the 3rd/4th line with irregular playing time in a foreign country when he has the chance for more consistent time, comparable or better play, a shot at the Olympics, and can be closer to family (he's recently engaged so I presume the wedding's coming up).

I'm sad to see him go, but it's not surprising. And honestly I don't blame him (or Tryamkin, or Rodin).

Don't think there is an anti russian feeling amongst the Canucks fans as such.

Its more likely the disappointment of the players giving up instead of standing up to be counted.

Imagine if we all just gave up, when the going got tough... 

Wouldn't say I'm sad to see him leave, but it has nothing to do with his origin... Just don't think he brought enough to the table.

Archived