The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burmistrov Retires from NHL

Roberts

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I actually expect a lot more fringe NHL players doing this (not just Russians), as it will allow them to play in the olympics

I really wish Ovi stuck to his guns and didnt go public with his dissapointed but understanding appeal at the beginning of the season.  If more stars just went regardless, Bettman and his threats wouldn't hold as much weight.

A total disgrace as far as I'm concerned, his WC of Hockey is nothing like the Olympics, a total cash grab and doesn't represent the nations correctly

...screw him.

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I really wish Ovi stuck to his guns and didnt go public with his dissapointed but understanding appeal at the beginning of the season.  If more stars just went regardless, Bettman and his threats wouldn't hold as much weight.

A total disgrace as far as I'm concerned, his WC of Hockey is nothing like the Olympics, a total cash grab and doesn't represent the nations correctly

...screw him.

It's what happens when your league president loves money and doesn't really care about the game of hockey.  I remember the 2005 lockout, when true hockey leaders Gretzky and Lemieux made a last ditch effort to bring the two sides together at the 11th hour and make the season happen, and Bettman was just like nah, F that.

If the people at the top actually loved hockey, they'd find a way.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's what happens when your league president loves money and doesn't really care about the game of hockey.  I remember the 2005 lockout, when true hockey leaders Gretzky and Lemieux made a last ditch effort to bring the two sides together at the 11th hour and make the season happen, and Bettman was just like nah, F that.

If the people at the top actually loved hockey, they'd find a way.

The owners love money Batman is just doing their bidding. 

This opens up a spot for someone to be called up. Or will Sutter be back? If you Don't really want to be hear it usually shows in your play. No matter how skilled you are.

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Really doesn't entice European players to sign with us in the future.  Less then a year and we have had 3 players bolt from us.  Word gets around too.

Not a great trend to set IMO.

Hopefully this doesn't bleed into others in our system.

Hopefully it does, as that trend appears to be, "If you want a job you have to earn it."

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

...screw him.

At least when the NHL runs a WC of Hockey the players association gets some money. If you think this is a cash grab then where does that leave the Olympics? That is ran by the biggest gang of thieves going. They don't stop at the $2 - $3,000 per night hotel rooms. They take kickbacks and allow crooked countries to get away with doping for years. Bettman does nothing unilaterally he has to answered to the NHL owners. Under Bettman's admin they have brought in a salary CAP which leveled the competition and brought income sharing to those franchises who are not making it financially. 

My biggest beef with the NHL is the price of tickets. Most people cannot go to games regularly. Combine that with the saturation of broadcasts and I would fear fans will start dialing out. Even at the local level the cost of minor hockey is prohibitive.  

58 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Hopefully it does, as that trend appears to be, "If you want a job you have to earn it."

Exactly, enough of the culture of entitlement. You earn what you get and you lose what is given if you show no improvement, no willingness to follow coaches direction, equal effort at both ends in game and practice etc. This is a career and business, if you don't meet expectations at work you're  eventually dismissed for someone who can do a better job.

At this point he might as well have put a middle finger in a box, wrapped it up and sent it to management.

With the losses of Bo and Sutter to injury, Hank, Gagner and Granny have had to carry the bulk of the center minutes, and to leave as he did removes another valid NHL caliber option from the team.  Hope we won't have to welcome Chaput back with open arms anytime soon.

7 hours ago, ColeTr11 said:

More playing time for everyone else i guess. Make that two guys who've run away this year.

7 hours ago, Provost said:

Mutual termination means he gets out on unconditional waivers and we don’t carry the cap hit.

He would probably have gotten sent to the minors when Sutter came back anyways.

7 hours ago, Deets said:

While I didn't see Burmi as a part of the Canucks future, I hate seeing another depth forward leave our injury riddled line-up. Canucks just can't catch a break.

I am not sure how much more playing time Burmi was going to get anyway, so I don't see his departure as hurting much, despite the injuries. As Provost points out, there is some chance he would have been sent down when Sutter comes back. If not, I see no way he was going to continue with the team when Horvat and Baertschi come back.

At his age (26) he should be pretty much at his peak now, and that peak makes him a marginal NHL player at best. The Canucks would probably rather take a look at guys like Goldy and Boucher, who are younger. And certainly Gaunce, Virtanen and Dowd have moved ahead of Burmi in the depth chart. Or maybe the Canucks bring in someone who adds to team toughness (like MacEwan or Labate).

21 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Hank, Gagner and Granny have had to carry the bulk of the center minutes,

Yeah, well Burmistrov could not seen to stay in the line up. Even with Sutter and Bo out.  Gagner also plays centre. And we may have to put up with Chaput & Dowd more than we would prefer. It is not ideal. But not the end of the world.

The real winner is Gaunce who won Burmistrov's roster spot. Right now he is worth his weight in GOLD & picking up all the extra minutes..

I imagine you were not one of the posters clamouring & exclaiming the veterans were going to hold back the minutes of our kids???.

Right here is proof positive they were serious when they said they would make room for the youth if they deserved it!

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I imagine you were not one of the posters clamouring & exclaiming the veterans were going to hold back the minutes of our kids???.

Right here is proof positive they were serious when they said they would make room for the youth if they deserved it!

Nope I was not one of those.  There's a difference between buffering/ insulating the rookies and hindering their growth by eating up their minutes, and for Gaunce I'm glad to see that he's grown out of the insulation so to speak.  Burmi we hardly knew ye, but yeah it seems like he wasn't resolving any problems anyways so good riddance (with how he's exiting it's like he's that pouty, whiney kid who says "that's it, I'm taking the ball and going home").  Hope his cap space can be better invested elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

At least when the NHL runs a WC of Hockey the players association gets some money. If you think this is a cash grab then where does that leave the Olympics? That is ran by the biggest gang of thieves going. They don't stop at the $2 - $3,000 per night hotel rooms. They take kickbacks and allow crooked countries to get away with doping for years. Bettman does nothing unilaterally he has to answered to the NHL owners. Under Bettman's admin they have brought in a salary CAP which leveled the competition and brought income sharing to those franchises who are not making it financially. 

My biggest beef with the NHL is the price of tickets. Most people cannot go to games regularly. Combine that with the saturation of broadcasts and I would fear fans will start dialing out. Even at the local level the cost of minor hockey is prohibitive.  

If Bettman is an android, and gets his way, in twenty years the NHL will have 64 teams and a North American Conference playing a European/Asian conference for the cup.  Your spewing the same propaganda the league spred to make this easier on them.  The World Cup of Hockey will never touch the quality of competition the Olympics create .... And yes the world. Cup of hockey is about the money, everything Bettman has ever done is about money.  Which is why he's still employed.  

Archived