The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Zac Rinaldo suspended for 6 games

Odd.

Should Zac Rinaldo be suspended?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm glad Erik Johnson beat him to a pulp. But man that was one ugly looking sucker-punch. A real possible suspension here. 

Couldn't help but remember that infamous moore incident. though to his defense, Girard came to him in a demeaning way and Rinaldo, an enforcer, did what all normal enforcers would do and retaliated in the way he did. 

Though Suspension worthy if you ask me.

I was watching the game as it happened and feel like I'm the only person who didn't see anything wrong. Rinaldo's hit on Mackinnon was clean, and Girard changed direction specifically to skate at Rinaldo and shove him up high. I'm not sure what he was expecting skating up to him like that right after a big hit, but to me the result wasn't surprising.

If he was gonna go out of his way to skate up like that he should've already had his gloves off, or at least dropped his stick.

It's going to be a suspension.  Girard didn't have his gloves off and was going in for a cross check when he ate Rinaldo's bare fist.  Definitely not Bert caliber, but it will be a suspension.  It was good to see a quality brawl like that, no nonsense, no turn your stomach ugly head damage or gore, just action and reaction.  

Rinaldo is a clown.  Going on a tangent here, but every time I see rats like this I think about guys like Brock and the kids that will be joining the team in the next couple years...we need some wolves around to guard the sheep or at least make the other teams rat(s) think twice about taking runs at our best players.

14 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

I was watching the game as it happened and feel like I'm the only person who didn't see anything wrong. Rinaldo's hit on Mackinnon was clean, and Girard changed direction specifically to skate at Rinaldo and shove him up high. I'm not sure what he was expecting skating up to him like that right after a big hit, but to me the result wasn't surprising.

If he was gonna go out of his way to skate up like that he should've already had his gloves off, or at least dropped his stick.

Though there's already people saying he should be suspended for a long time and some suggest this being borderline assault. If this happened to one of our players I'm sure people would be downright livid and would want Rinaldo to be suspendedThere was a whole twitter brawl between fans, former players, and analysts about this incident and many of them agree that what Rinaldo did was predatory like. 

The problem here is that Rinaldo is a serious repeat offender, he was even simultaneously suspended from the NHL AND AHL at one point.

According to Craig Morgan on NHL.com, Rinaldo is currently suspended indefinitely. No reports on a hearing yet but he's suspended indefinitely. Need someone higher than him to confirm this.

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Though there's already people saying he should be suspended for a long time and some suggest this being borderline assault. If this happened to one of our players I'm sure people would be downright livid and would want Rinaldo to be suspended

It seems like this is being judged more through the lens of Rinaldo's career/previous suspensions rather than the events that took place. Borderline assault (once again, after Girard purposefully tried to confront Rinaldo) seems like a stretch. 

If one of our players skated up to him like that I'd be disappointed in the injury for sure, but also think he was a fool for approaching him the way he did. I am not a big fan of suspensions unless it's egregious. Bertuzzi was, this I'm not so sure. 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

With this being in-person hearing, this one will likely be more than five games. But I do agree with your first premise. 

Sorry, what I should have said is that I think he should get 5 games. If it wasn’t Rinaldo and instead someone like Dustin Brown (ie: anyone who doesn’t have a history), then 5 games is honestly more than fair. This wasn’t that bad. Bad enough to get a few games, but not so bad that what Rinaldo did wasn’t expected. It looked like Girard was going to drop the gloves, so this wasn’t out of the realm of what to expect should happen next.

But because it’s Rinaldo, yeah, he’ll likely receive somewhere in the 8-10 range. Which is far too much for what was done.

Aerial view at the 2:45 mark.  MacKinnon gets hit but Girard goes the other way before changing his mind.  Can't figure out if he was indeed going after him or just pushing him out of his way.  He seems to be looking straight on where the play is.  

3 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

150% correct.

It's a disgrace what has happened with this league. 

A 100% clean hit, but because the player is a star and partially hurt Rinaldo is EXPECTING to get jumped. A player makes a b line straight towards him after the hit, obviously he was expecting a fight. Girard is a rookie, Rinaldo has no idea if he is a fighter/tough or what the guys intentions are. 

Rinaldo has crossed the line numerous times, but to be punished for this is laughable. My god this league has completely gone down the toilet. 

Archived