The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NYR's F Chris Kreider out indefinitely with blood clot in right arm

Odd.

• Odd. changed the title to NYR's F Chris Kreider out indefinitely with blood clot in right arm
Just now, -AJ- said:

Blood clots can be pretty serious from what I understand.

Few years back Olli Maata had a blood cot in his leg and had to go extensive surgery and missed basically an entire season and playoffs. Very serious indeed.

Just now, Type R said:

Scary stuff, I hope it all turns out for the best.  This seems to be happening more and more with players, I wonder why?

Maata, Dupuis (his was more serious), Timonen, Kreider, and I'm missing I think 1 or 2 more. All in a span of at 5 years.

I think Dupuis said he lost feeling in some parts of his body..

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Maata, Dupuis (his was more serious), Timonen, Kreider, and I'm missing I think 1 or 2 more. All in a span of at 5 years.

I think Dupuis said he lost feeling in some parts of his body..

Stamkos had surgery just before the 2016 playoffs for a blood clot.

Not sure why he needs surgery for a "blood clot".  Most blood clots are treated with anticoagulants.  Sounds more like thoracic outlet syndrome.  Yes, this can compress the veins and nerves returning through clavicle and 1st rib. Not trying to diminish the seriousness of clots, they can be life threatening and sometimes fatal when dislodged to cause pulmonary embolism 

4 hours ago, sonoman said:

Not sure why he needs surgery for a "blood clot".  Most blood clots are treated with anticoagulants.  Sounds more like thoracic outlet syndrome.  Yes, this can compress the veins and nerves returning through clavicle and 1st rib. Not trying to diminish the seriousness of clots, they can be life threatening and sometimes fatal when dislodged to cause pulmonary embolism 

I am certainly no expert (beyond being the price of meat that has had 7 shoulder operations and what I have absorbed through osmosis.

I had my surgery for TOS, but I do think I recall them taking about a danger of blood clots and aneurisms forming just after where it was compressed.  Maybe due do the blood flow being cut off?

I hope everything turns out fine for him and makes a speedy recovery. Athletes are always at risk for blood clots since they have such a high level of physical training. Things like muscle strains, dehydration and even flying too much can increase their risk.

5 hours ago, Provost said:

I am certainly no expert (beyond being the price of meat that has had 7 shoulder operations and what I have absorbed through osmosis.

I had my surgery for TOS, but I do think I recall them taking about a danger of blood clots and aneurisms forming just after where it was compressed.  Maybe due do the blood flow being cut off?

Blood flow is definately a big thing when it comes to blood clots

8 hours ago, Provost said:

The story seemed to be lacking in detail.  Blood clots occur for lots of other reasons.  Certainly TOS is one cause of DVT and does require surgery in almost all cases.  Yes, I am quite knowledgeable in this area as I diagnose blood clots as part of my profession.

Archived