The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Mentality

Topcheeze86

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  He may turn into the Boeser of the 2016 draft.   Not many times does any GM get it right after the first couple picks, at the time I thought we were drafting Dubois (who's starting to turn it on in CLB, and has ridiculous possession stats) because pre draft and post lottery balls Benning kept saying he was going to get a skilled gritty forward and most lists had him at number 5.  When they took him at 3 it was a little gut punch, and then when MT was passed on the remote almost hit the wall.  It all worked out ok I suppose we drafted for an organizational need, not the BPA, and without him we'd have no real hope on defense.  

If we draft Dahlin somehow, Vancouver could pull themselves out of rebuild mode in short order, we'd have two solid to outstanding pieces to build to top pairings around for the next ten years...

I will cool it on the OJ bashing it'd not his fault he was drafted fifth in a year that could go down as one of the best ever.

Yeah I remember being pretty bent missing on Dubois as well. It happens I suppose. 

Theres going to be a LOT of top 4 dmen coming out of this draft by the sounds of it, so personally I’d rather have a successful, playoff season than hitting the basement for a 20% or less chance at Dahlin. If we just miss the playoffs, we still have a chance as NJ and Philly can attest to last year. I am tired of falling in the draft... I’d love the opportunity to jump up. 

Hey no worries about OJ... I was shocked about not taking MT myself. He’s the kind of guy you hate when he’s on another team but he’d fit our team well. I wonder if Benning’s thinking behind that was we already had drafted that type of player the year before in Virtanen, and needed to, as you said, solidify our backend. 

12 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

Yeah I remember being pretty bent missing on Dubois as well. It happens I suppose. 

Theres going to be a LOT of top 4 dmen coming out of this draft by the sounds of it, so personally I’d rather have a successful, playoff season than hitting the basement for a 20% or less chance at Dahlin. If we just miss the playoffs, we still have a chance as NJ and Philly can attest to last year. I am tired of falling in the draft... I’d love the opportunity to jump up. 

Hey no worries about OJ... I was shocked about not taking MT myself. He’s the kind of guy you hate when he’s on another team but he’d fit our team well. I wonder if Benning’s thinking behind that was we already had drafted that type of player the year before in Virtanen, and needed to, as you said, solidify our backend. 

It would be nice to make the playoffs ... Or the lottery balls make up for it.   Yes on the Virtanen thoughts too, I wondered that myself, but even more so we just really needed a stud defenseman and OJ had the highest floor of anyone available.  And

.Brady is supposedly at least if not better player than MT, and he has more snarl like their Dad so you just never know, he could end up on our team ( and is likely to go 3 if the draft went before the WJs, things will shift as they always do once that's done).

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

This exactly.  While Benning has turned our forward group around, our d needs serious attention.

To be fair, if Juolevi turns out to be a stud its in not great but ok shape - aside from quality depth and prospects.

It's possible that we can get someone who is close from this or next year's draft if we miss the playoffs and other teams shy away from defenseman early like usual ( of course Dahlin won't stay but others will still be available). If we can get a stud for draft plus one to join OJ and Tryamkin comes back it would be a quick turn around.  That's what I see them focusing on, unless the BPA is just too high on their list to pass on.

19 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

McAvoy is probably surprising himself this year :lol: No one saw this coming.  I think we had similar luck with Boeser. 

After making some posts yesterday I ended up watching Ottawa Boston live and really watched 73 everytime he was out there.  He was an absolute star, great speed, had two assists but one was taken away even though he created the play that ended up in a goal, plus four and by far the B's best defenseman if not their best player (Rask got a shutout), at least last night he was better than Karlsson... watching a rookie do that was something else.  Guys shied away from him given he's smallish ( not Krug small, he looked liked Theo Fluery out their, or a little kid compared to Chara 

haha ) at the draft, he was putting up good numbers and great play pre draft.  

He's also apparently just getting better month to month, Benning's old staff is just killing it, DeBrusk playing well too.

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

After making some posts yesterday I ended up watching Ottawa Boston live and really watched 73 everytime he was out there.  He was an absolute star, great speed, had two assists but one was taken away even though he created the play that ended up in a goal, plus four and by far the B's best defenseman if not their best player (Rask got a shutout), at least last night he was better than Karlsson... watching a rookie do that was something else.  Guys shied away from him given he's smallish ( not Krug small, he looked liked Theo Fluery out their, or a little kid compared to Chara 

He's also apparently just getting better month to month, Benning's old staff is just killing it, DeBrusk playing well too.

2015 is a bit of a miss.  3 back to back picks in the first round (13-15) and somehow completely missed on the top two players in this years calder trophy race.  Barzal going immediately after the bruins 3 picks and brock going 7 picks later.  To make if slightly worse is if we are talking about picks playing in the NHL draft, in 2015 only 4 players in the first round haven't played a game in the NHL, Juulsen (MTL's 26th pick), Samsonov caps superstar Russian goalie, and then the other two are Boston picks, Zboril who's haven't a slow start in the AHL, and Senyshyn who's doing ok in the AHL (0.5ppg).  But yeah outside of those picks the bruins are killing it.  

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

The Bruins have been consistently surprising.

I thought they were headed for a down cycle, particularly when they started making picks like DeBrusk at 14, but it's Zboril that actually appears to be the struggling pick in hindsight while DeBrusk is turning out well - and then they managed Carlo and Lauzon in the 2nd. 

They just keep producing and developing players (some of them truly whoddat?) and remaining competitive - for me they're one of the biggest surprises if not the biggest surprise of the past three or four years.

I think in DeBrusk's case I may have let my impression of Louie as a player effect how I perceived Jake.  And ironically, now that Louie is a regular colour guy, I think he's great in that role - I'm a bit surprised as wel that he's becoming one of my favorite cc.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

It would be nice to make the playoffs ... Or the lottery balls make up for it.   Yes on the Virtanen thoughts too, I wondered that myself, but even more so we just really needed a stud defenseman and OJ had the highest floor of anyone available.  And

.Brady is supposedly at least if not better player than MT, and he has more snarl like their Dad so you just never know, he could end up on our team ( and is likely to go 3 if the draft went before the WJs, things will shift as they always do once that's done).

Would be kind of cool to have Brady... wouldn't it be something to watch those two brothers face off against each other for years to come. I definitely wouldn't hate a pugnacious player like that filling out our top 6....

If there's not a high potential PMD when if we pick say 6-8 I wouldn't mind taking him. Still think our first pick though goes to a RHD. 

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

It's possible that we can get someone who is close from this or next year's draft if we miss the playoffs and other teams shy away from defenseman early like usual ( of course Dahlin won't stay but others will still be available). If we can get a stud for draft plus one to join OJ and Tryamkin comes back it would be a quick turn around.  That's what I see them focusing on, unless the BPA is just too high on their list to pass on.

When healthy, we have a slightly above .500 team this season.  I expect us to finish the season close to .500 even though we are lagging lately.  So unless Benning moves up that likely means a mid round pick because we know luck never shines on us.  

While Benning has certainly snagged gems with the picks he has I am not confident he will be able to snag a guy who will be able to contribute at the level we need for a couple of years at best, and thats if he turns out as good as expected... which most dont even with his above average ability to select.

As such, I'm just not confident the draft is the route we want to take to get the defenseman we need.  Instead, I think the better route is to combine a roster defenseman along with a one (or two of necessary) of our prospects and maybe a pick to get a high potential and can't-miss defenseman from another team.  

The cost will be high to give all that up but I feel we have enough talented forward depth to afford it. I think in the next couple of years we are going to see a solid 6 or so of our prospects become nhl calibre players so I feel we have the extra assets to make this work.

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

When healthy, we have a slightly above .500 team this season.  I expect us to finish the season close to .500 even though we are lagging lately.  So unless Benning moves up that likely means a mid round pick because we know luck never shines on us.  

While Benning has certainly snagged gems with the picks he has I am not confident he will be able to snag a guy who will be able to contribute at the level we need for a couple of years at best, and thats if he turns out as good as expected... which most dont even with his above average ability to select.

As such, I'm just not confident the draft is the route we want to take to get the defenseman we need.  Instead, I think the better route is to combine a roster defenseman along with a one (or two of necessary) of our prospects and maybe a pick to get a high potential and can't-miss defenseman from another team.  

The cost will be high to give all that up but I feel we have enough talented forward depth to afford it. I think in the next couple of years we are going to see a solid 6 or so of our prospects become nhl calibre players so I feel we have the extra assets to make this work.

Or try to sign OEL after next year.

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

Or try to sign OEL after next year.

Thats the other option.... just to go all in for a star ufa.  The calibre we need for our #1 doesn't come up often though and as far as OEL is concerned he might be a good fit but his reduction in production the last couple of years does make me wonder.  (To be fair he is playing on an absolutely brutal team)

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Thats the other option.... just to go all in for a star ufa.  The calibre we need for our #1 doesn't come up often though and as far as OEL is concerned he might be a good fit but his reduction in production the last couple of years does make me wonder.  (To be fair he is playing on an absolutely brutal team)

I hear you on his most recent play. He has low mileage on his years. Lots of Swedes for teammates here. He would be a welcome addition in my view. Of course the dollars and term is the million dollar question. 

Just now, rekker said:

I hear you on his most recent play. He has low mileage on his years. Lots of Swedes for teammates here. He would be a welcome addition in my view. Of course the dollars and term is the million dollar question. 

Of course.  

We could also go all in for Carlson at the end of this year.  Slightly less offensive ceiling but a big guy with enough skill to fit the position.  Of course, the entire NHL is going to be interested in either of these guys if they hit the market so it would be pricy.  I do think OEL is the better fit if his play can rebound a bit.

Archived