The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tkachuk vs Kesler

CanadianRugby

Good fight. I'm still a fan of Kesler, despite the way he ended his Vancouver tenure. He was the bar to be playing at every game for the team. Always consistent.

Tkatchuk? I don't really mind him either. He's a little $&!# like Marchand, but sometimes those kinds of players are good to have on your team. Although, Tkatchuk has seemed to cross the line multiple times already, and that's not great considering his NHL career has just begun.

Would never of booed Kesler on his first game back as a Duck. He was a warrior. Gave it all for the cup run. If he didn't pull that hamstring against San Jose we may would of beat Boston. I hope he wins a cup with the Ducks this year. Pounding the Oilers and Flames along the way. 

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not sure that slapping Kesler with little sweater brushes that are more fitting for two preschoolers having a spat is "smart" fighting at NHL level where men play and can actually punch (Kesler demonstrated that last evening).   Not exactly sure what that was MT was trying to do.

I think he was trying not to get knocked the ^&% out

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I hope we draft Brady.

I have my heart set on a D but i wouldn't mind taking him either.  Them Tkachuk boys are so competitive, especially when it comes to playing each other, Brady, in an interview talked about how they used to put holes in the wall growing up from body checking each other while playing floor hockey.  You know they don't shy away from each other, it would be fun to see them go after each other 5 times a year + playoffs.

As far as him and taking dumb penalties..

“You never want to put your team into trouble by taking a bad penalty, so I definitely think I’ve matured in that area with being smart after the whistle and not doing anything stupid,” said Tkachuk, who has four goals and 14 points in 19 games. “How we kind of play, it gets you involved in a way, and some guys might not like that and it gets under their skin.”

“He’s only got nine penalties this year and I bet only five of them are coincidental,” said Boston University head coach David Quinn. “So it’s not like he takes a lot of penalties. I think he’s done a good job of that this year with us. But I don’t want him to stop being the agitator. I don’t want to take away his strengths and part of his strengths is playing on the edge, and as long as you’re not taking dumb penalties, I want him to push other people’s buttons and agitate people.”

On 2017-12-30 at 9:59 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

no kidding. Tkachuk fights like a wus. 

The kid didn’t have a good grab and Kesler’s Throwing arm was loose for the first half. All you can do there is rabbit punch or risk that hammer when you reach in for more sweater on the shoulder, but don’t let your Starbucks coffee hurt your hand while you post about fighting...

No offense, but the majority of posters here haven’t even been in a street fight with someone as tough as Kes, let alone a fight on skates with an experienced fighter like Kesler.

It gets cringey when you read through these internet hero posts about fighting, period. People literallly have no clue about what they are saying. Who here has fought a beast like Kesler on skates? Huh? MT has and he fought him to a draw. That took more guts than anything most of this forum will ever endure in your lives, guaranteed. 

Kesler likes fighting kids kids as much as they like the opportunity to fight a legit fighter and power forward. It’s good for Kesler, the kids and the game. Other than Guddy, who on the Canucks could fight MT to a draw? Guess we will soon see. 

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The kid didn’t have a good grab and Kesler’s Throwing arm was loose for the first half. All you can do there is rabbit punch or risk that hammer when you reach in for more sweater on the shoulder, but don’t let let you Starbucks coffee hurt your hand while you post about fighting...

No offense, but the majority of posters here haven’t even been in a street fight with someone as tough as Kes, let alone a fight on skates with an experienced fighter like Kesler.

It gets cringey when you read through these internet hero posts about fighting, period. People literallly have no clue about what they are saying. Who here has fought a beast like Kesler on skates? Huh? MT has and he fought him to a draw. That took more guts than anything most of this forum will ever endure in your lives, guaranteed. 

Kesler likes fighting kids kids as much as they like the opportunity to fight a legit fighter and power forward. It’s good for Kesler, the kids and the game. Other than Guddy, who on the Canucks could fight MT to a draw? Guess we will soon see. 

MT did all he could to keep his distance, he was not in that fight to win it. 

BTW lots of people have risky careers, I'm sure we have a few first responders on here somewhere, or veterans, etc. 

12 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The kid didn’t have a good grab and Kesler’s Throwing arm was loose for the first half. All you can do there is rabbit punch or risk that hammer when you reach in for more sweater on the shoulder, but don’t let your Starbucks coffee hurt your hand while you post about fighting...

Your assumptions in this post really don't help with your credibility. Unless I was to meet someone from the CDC in person, I can't readily assume how tough or capable anyone here would be in a fight. Anonymous comments on a message board really don't provide anything quantifiable.

Quite a few posters on here have stated that they play ice hockey, and a few could be playing against 6'2" 220 lb. players. There is no doubt that in order to make it to the NHL, a player has to possess enough skill, strength, stamina, and confidence that the majority of those who play the game casually don't possess. That's pretty obvious.

Tkachuk's less than manly behavior (spearing other players from the bench) may have been part of what has formed some folks opinions on the guy. He's been slowly building a reputation as a cheap shot punk, so many would look for the worst in his fight against a seasoned veteran like Kesler who has gone toe to toe with the likes of Iginla.

33 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Thing is, he is a wuss if he flies around out there cheap shotting and doing stuff that could hurt others then is offered excuses because the other guy's "a tough guy".    MT acts like HE'S a tough guy, but that  "fight" didn't back up the words or support that much (which is our point).  Sure, he engaged...but he didn't fight to a draw....he avoided the fight as much as anything.  Stech fights a better fight than that pathetic excuse.

Punk moves, because that's what he is.  He'll have to fight many "tough(er)" guys due to how he plays the game.  Better practice up...

40 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Well buddy, I have and on skates and can say that MT is slapping and Kes is fighting and if MT tried that with most guys like he did with Kes, he will end up getting himself hurt (maybe not as badly as he hurts the myriad of people he slew foots).   MT sets his feet wrong and has no leverage.   Perhaps he will learn but chances are no one on his own team will show him as I bet a lot of them enjoy seeing him get what he deserves.

34 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, he is a wuss if he flies around out there cheap shotting and doing stuff that could hurt others then is offered excuses because the other guy's "a tough guy".    MT acts like HE'S a tough guy, but that  "fight" didn't back up the words or support that much (which is our point).  Sure, he engaged...but he didn't fight to a draw....he avoided the fight as much as anything.  Stech fights a better fight than that pathetic excuse.

Punk moves, because that's what he is.  He'll have to fight many "tough(er)" guys due to how he plays the game.  Better practice up...

When does Tkachuk act like a tough guy?  Burrows was just as dirty, he speared Staal in the nuts and no one thought was acting tough guy.  Tkachuk is a pest but he’s not afraid to answer the bell.  There’s players on teams that are @#$t disturbers but then run away and hide when someone calls them out for crossing the line.  When players do that, they do tend to lose the respect from their teammates as the teammates are the ones forced to answer the bell.  But Tkachuk doesn’t do that, he knows when he’s crossed the line and drops he gloves when he needs to (regardless of how he thinks he will do in the fight).  Last year after he elbowed Doughty he was called out by 6’4”, 220lbs McNabb and fought him, despite likely knowing he didn’t stand a chance. This gains him respect in the room.  

Gaudreau was talking about Tkachuck this summer and stated.

“He’s a great player in our locker-room, and a great teammates, and he likes to stir the pot a little bit on the ice. And we need a player like that.”  

35 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Your assumptions in this post really don't help with your credibility. Unless I was to meet someone from the CDC in person, I can't readily assume how tough or capable anyone here would be in a fight. Anonymous comments on a message board really don't provide anything quantifiable.

Quite a few posters on here have stated that they play ice hockey, and a few could be playing against 6'2" 220 lb. players. There is no doubt that in order to make it to the NHL, a player has to possess enough skill, strength, stamina, and confidence that the majority of those who play the game casually don't possess. That's pretty obvious.

Tkachuk's less than manly behavior (spearing other players from the bench) may have been part of what has formed some folks opinions on the guy. He's been slowly building a reputation as a cheap shot punk, so many would look for the worst in his fight against a seasoned veteran like Kesler who has gone toe to toe with the likes of Iginla.

No need to side-step my point of this thread’s posters critiquing a hockey fight to make your lateral point of the kid’s manliness, as it goes. One thing at a time and let’s no change any narratives here about what point I was making. 

Youre right, it is obvious that the “majority”, and I will up that demographic to “99.9%” of posters I this thread have zero experience with the fighting aspect which they’ve chimed in here about in this thread. Which is why I made the point about critiquing these fights. Reality is offensive. 

My assumptions about this thread’s posters are assumptions until one, even one of you can tell me the last time one of you fought an NHL fighter, on skates. Then it can be a discussion about the fight. Until then, it is what it is, and it certainly does not affect my credibility, only my minus count for not being part of the herd and the feeling of “togetherness” experience of ripping on a kid. 

I made a point concerning the sneering suggestions that this kid had a bad fight or that he is gutless and I will take flak for it. Zero of that flak should concern itself with my credibility and look itself in the credential-mirror when posters with zero experience, other than typing experience, express opinions on hockey fights. 

20 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When does Tkachuk act like a tough guy?  Burrows was just as dirty, he speared Staal in the nuts and no one thought was acting tough guy.  Tkachuk is a pest but he’s not afraid to answer the bell.  There’s players on teams that are @#$t disturbers but then run away and hide when someone calls them out for crossing the line.

That reminds me of when Milan Lucic went toe to toe with Colton Orr and just got rocked, and hid behind the refs after. I think Don Cherry even called him out for it.  

Burrows has answered the bell on a few occasions. I don't remember Bieksa having to stand up for him.

20 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When players do that, they do tend to lose the respect from their teammates as the teammates are the ones forced to answer the bell.  But Tkachuk doesn’t do that, he knows when he’s crossed the line and drops he gloves when he needs to (regardless of how he thinks he will do in the fight).  Last year after he elbowed Doughty he was called out by 6’4”, 220lbs McNabb and fought him, despite likely knowing he didn’t stand a chance. This gains him respect in the room.  

Why does Tkachuk cross the line in the first place? I mean, I don't care much for Doughty, but that kind of vicious elbow is dangerous, and potentially career ending if placed close enough to the temple. I don't think Tkapuke fancies himself a tough guy, and there is nothing wrong with being an agitating pest, but high impact shots to the head aren't cool.

58 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

What experience do you have fighting on skates, Deb? 

My point was towards to posters who were evaluating the scrap and mocking a kid who just fought Ryan freaking Kesler. Since I just saw the word credentials used, which you applauded, what are yours, I dare ask, rhetorically, of course. 

I am astonished that my point isn’t simply conceded, instead of contested. 

Fan forum. I guess that makes it ok, in the end. It’s all good. 

55 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well buddy, I have and on skates and can say that MT is slapping and Kes is fighting and if MT tried that with most guys like he did with Kes, he will end up getting himself hurt (maybe not as badly as he hurts the myriad of people he slew foots).   MT sets his feet wrong and has no leverage.   Perhaps he will learn but chances are no one on his own team will show him as I bet a lot of them enjoy seeing him get what he deserves.

Like buddy said, he wasn’t actually fighting to fight. He got their guy off the ice. 

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

No need to side-step my point of this thread’s posters critiquing a hockey fight to make your lateral point of the kid’s manliness, as it goes. One thing at a time and let’s no change any narratives here about what point I was making. 

I addressed your point head on. What side-stepping are you referring to?

Youre right, it is obvious that the “majority”, and I will up that demographic to “99.9%” of posters I this thread have zero experience with the fighting aspect which they’ve chimed in here about in this thread. Which is why I made the point about critiquing these fights. Reality is offensive. 

To each their own, but it seems premature to assume that, although it's easy to make that assumption when it would be nearly impossible to prove it. How does one gather up various members of an internet message board to test their physical mettle?

My assumptions about this thread’s posters are assumptions until one, even one of you can tell me the last time one of you fought an NHL fighter, on skates. Then it can be a discussion about the fight. Until then, it is what it is, and it certainly does not affect my credibility, only my minus count for not being part of the herd and the feeling of “togetherness” experience of ripping on a kid.

Assumptions do affect credibility, even if only at a minute level. Hell, my credibility is constantly in question here.

I've never fought an NHL player on skates, or off skates, but I have been in a few fights, before I had kids, and wised up. Won some, lost some. I did honor the code though and never sought to maim or injure with purpose. I offered a hand to guys I had knocked down and bought them a beer, and accepted a hand up, and accepted a beer from those who gave me a onceover.

I made a point concerning the sneering suggestions that this kid had a bad fight or that he is gutless and I will take flak for it. Zero of that flak should concern itself with my credibility and look itself in the credential-mirror when posters with zero experience, other than typing experience, express opinions on hockey fights. 

I don't think his performance in the fight was gutless. His elbow to Doughty's head, or his spear to the player whose name escapes me? Those were. Just like it was when Burrows did it.

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

What experience do you have fighting on skates, Deb? 

My point was towards to posters who were evaluating the scrap and mocking a kid who just fought Ryan freaking Kesler. Since I just saw the word credentials used, which you applauded, what are yours, I dare ask, rhetorically, of course. 

I am astonished that my point isn’t simply conceded, instead of contested. 

Fan forum. I guess that makes it ok, in the end. It’s all good. 

This is about him, not me.

And this "kid" is running around in a men's league taking cheap shots and acting like  a punk.   So, he'll have to man up and this wasn't a shining example for him...don't need to have fought on skates to observe that.   No excuses, this was a pathetic "fight" and just reinforces how I feel about him.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That reminds me of when Milan Lucic went toe to toe with Colton Orr and just got rocked, and hid behind the refs after. I think Don Cherry even called him out for it.  

Burrows has answered the bell on a few occasions. I don't remember Bieksa having to stand up for him.

Yep and that’s why burrows was still rescpecting in the room. Even last year after he speared Reilly he answered the bell and fought when challenged. 

Why does Tkachuk cross the line in the first place?

Becuase hockey key is an intense sport and it’s the roll of an agitator to walk the line and get under the opposing teams skin. Every team has players like that. That’s why the NHL hands out suspensions. 

I mean, I don't care much for Doughty, but that kind of vicious elbow is dangerous, and potentially career ending if placed close enough to the temple. I don't think Tkapuke fancies himself a tough guy, and there is nothing wrong with being an agitating pest, but high impact shots to the head aren't cool.

Nope but they still happen. It’s not like it’s something new or something only tkachuk does.  We as Canucks fans are used to those situations happen and it usually results in us getting a suspension. Like Jake last year. I’m not defending those actions just stating it’s a bit hypocritical to hate on a player when we had/have player who played an very similar game. 

Archived