The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tkachuk vs Kesler

CanadianRugby

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Becuase hockey key is an intense sport and it’s the roll of an agitator to walk the line and get under the opposing teams skin. Every team has players like that. That’s why the NHL hands out suspensions. 

If spearing is crossing the line, then I agree with you. It'll never truly injure a player, long-term, but it's a cheap move, especially from the bench.

Nope but they still happen. It’s not like it’s something new or something only tkachuk does.  We as Canucks fans are used to those situations happen and it usually results in us getting a suspension. Like Jake last year. I’m not defending those actions just stating it’s a bit hypocritical to hate on a player when we had/have player who played an very similar game. 

Do you believe that Virtanen's hit on Polak (I think?) was similar to Tkachuk's hit on Doughty?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If spearing is crossing the line, then I agree with you. It'll never truly injure a player, long-term, but it's a cheap move, especially from the bench.

I agree it is dirty but even worse is a spear to the nuts. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Do you believe that Virtanen's hit on Polak (I think?) was similar to Tkachuk's hit on Doughty?

A Blind side late hit is what got me my first concussion so yes. 

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I agree it is dirty but even worse is a spear to the nuts. 

A Blind side late hit is what got me my first concussion so yes. 

"Hitting" is part of the game.  Spearing shouldn't be, especially from the bench.

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

"Hitting" is part of the game.  Spearing shouldn't be, especially from the bench.

Blind side hits isn’t and that’s why he was suspended. Spearing shouldn’t be either and again it’s why he was suspended. 

Burrows = one of debs fav guys 

Tkachuk = little punk. 

Maybe a little biassed judging going on?

Tkachuk better learn how to be unselfish and take a hit without thinking he needs to fight everyone.

One day he will really get KO'ed and no one likes a team mate who takes selfish penalties because someone gave him a little tap. This reminds me of Lucuc, the guy freaks out if anyone touches him and ends up leaving his team shorthanded. A real tough guy would step up to take their own lumps but steps up to defend their team mates. Neither of these punks do this.

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Blind side hits isn’t and that’s why he was suspended. Spearing shouldn’t be either and again it’s why he was suspended. 

Tkachuk = little punk. 

Burr has paid his dues and, again, this isn't about him.  So deflecting to make this about Burr, Deb, etc. doesn't make your point about Tkachuk, it weakens it by a clear attempt to dilute things. .

But, if we're making this personal...I'm in the right place to be "pro Canuck"....it's bound to get a little biased here, and that's ok.   Not sure about those posting with avatars of "other" teams who aren't from around these parts to show their bias and expect that it's accepted as "truth" though.   I'd rather not take this route though, because I do respect your opinion.

Burr was an emotional player who reacted poorly at times.  In the heat of gameplay, often as he was being crosschecked and poked at as refs (who made it clear they were biased against him) turned a blind eye.   Matthew's just stepping in and doing so with an attitude (bark) that may be a little bigger than his bite.  It's clear his fighting has to catch up to his other crap.   Burr never pretended to be a "tough guy" like Matthew does. 

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Burr has paid his dues and, again, this isn't about him.  So deflecting to make this about Burr, Deb, etc. doesn't make your point about Tkachuk.

But, if we're making this personal...I'm in the right place to be "pro Canuck"....it's bound to get a little biased here, and that's ok.   Not sure about those posting with avatars of "other" teams who aren't from around these parts to show their bias and expect that it's accepted as "truth" though. 

Burr was an emotional player who reacted poorly at times.  In the heat of gameplay, often as he was being crosschecked and poked at as refs (who made it clear they were biased against him) turned a blind eye.   Matthew's just stepping in and doing so with an attitude (bark) that may be a little bigger than his bite.  It's clear his fighting has to catch up to his other crap.   Burr never pretended to be a "tough guy" like Matthew does. 

Thank you.  :towel:

And let's not blur these lines....I'm not judging based on anything but what I saw MT do.  Which was very little in the way of proving he's as tough as he plays...those jersey rabbit punches?   My rabbit would have slaughtered him.

32 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Tkachuk = little punk. 

he is a punk ! the spear from the bench wasn't  to serious ,lucky for him  the little tap on witkoski' leg wasn't to serious , but  both incidents were pretty stupid on him. and the only reason he done them is because he hasn't had his face beaten ...yet.  I expect he'll only play smarter when that happens . lucky for him they don't play Detroit until next year. other players around the league have probly taken notice as well.  @189lb enforcers? a beast like kesler? ,your kidding right ? kesler is NOT  a fighter ! max domi will attest to that.

and reading what you've said on this thread I'm gunna say neither are you!   btw i' ve  gone a few rounds 'on skates' and take umbradge with everything you've said !

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Burr has paid his dues and, again, this isn't about him.  So deflecting to make this about Burr, Deb, etc. doesn't make your point about Tkachuk, it weakens it by a clear attempt to dilute things. .

What point are you making. You’re the one who claimed Tkachuk is running around acting like a tough guy and then didn’t back up that claim. Even Philip said he doesn’t think tkachuk is acting like that. 

But, if we're making this personal...I'm in the right place to be "pro Canuck"....it's bound to get a little biased here, and that's ok.   Not sure about those posting with avatars of "other" teams who aren't from around these parts to show their bias and expect that it's accepted as "truth" though.   I'd rather not take this route though, because I do respect your opinion.

Being biased if fine but it shouldn’t blind reality. If tkachuk was a Canuck we’d all love the kid because he is infact a good hockey player. The reason I bought burr up is to show how hypocritical this board gets. Burrows was awesome and he played his best hockey when he was walking that line (sometimes crossing it). There’s a reason why flames teammates and coaches have defended him saying they don’t want him to change the way he plays, just to be mindful about that line. 

Tkachuk is a competitive player. He’s been an agitator but being an agitator and acting like a tough guy are two very different things. 

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What point are you making. You’re the one who claimed Tkachuk is running around acting like a tough guy and then didn’t back up that claim. Even Philip said he doesn’t think tkachuk is acting like that. 

He's been suspended multiple times already.  He's been labeled as dirty by others in the league.  This isn't my observation, it's out there.  Don't pretend it's not or, again, you make your stance less credible.   He's not got a rep because Deb's a filthy homer (I am).   He's earning it all by himself.

Being biased if fine but it shouldn’t blind reality. If tkachuk was a Canuck we’d all love the kid because he is infact a good hockey player. The reason I bought burr up is to show how hypocritical this board gets.

Because you emphasize something with dramatics, doesn't make it so.  I'm not blind....but those who see a good fight here may be.  Also, it's not your place to right the wrongs of this "hypocritical board".  You have options, but slamming people here with personal attacks is not one of them.  Opinions...yours just differs from mine.  And that's ok, but don't go low.

Tkachuk is a competitive player. He’s been an agitator but being an agitator and acting like a tough guy are two very different things. 

He's definitely an agitator acting like a tough guy in my mind.  He's a good player...he IS fiercely competitive.  Annnd, he's an ass.

"He's a pretty dirty player, that kid," Doughty told Fox Sports' Jon Rosen

"Yeah, ‘wake up,’" Kadri said Friday, when asked if he had any advice for Tkachuk. "I went through the same thing so I understand what he’s going through. There comes a time where you’ve just got to mature; you can still play on the edge and play on that fine line, but you can’t be stupid.

"And that was just stupid."

The "that" in this case was Tkachuk’s third suspension in a 103-game NHL career – a one-gamer for jabbing Toronto Maple Leafs winger Matt Martin with his stick earlier this week while standing on the player’s bench.

What made the play so senseless in Kadri’s eyes was that it didn’t come in the heat of battle. It also bore a striking resemblance to Tkachuk’s previous suspension, when he got dinged for one game last month when he jabbed Luke Witkowski after the Detroit Red Wings player had already left the ice surface.

5 minutes ago, chon derry said:

he is a punk ! the spear from the bench wasn't  to serious ,lucky for him  the little tap on witkoski' leg wasn't to serious , but  both incidents were pretty stupid on him. and the only reason he done them is because he hasn't had his face beaten ...yet.  I expect he'll only play smarter when that happens . lucky for him they don't play Detroit until next year. other players around the league have probly taken notice as well.

Thats the same thing people said about burrows, marchand, Keith, and Brown it hasn’t happened yet although I did enjoy Hutton’s hit on Brown the other night

Thats the same thing people said about burrows, marchand, Keith, and Brown it hasn’t happened yet although I did enjoy Hutton’s hit on Brown the other night

and your point being........? none of that takes away from tkachuk being a goof. which he is.

The secret's out: 

If you read, or hear, someone say that they wouldn’t want Tkachuk on their team, that person is a fan boy. OK?

They say that because they don’t like the Flames. And they do love the Canucks, Leafs, Oilers, whomever…

In Tkachuk’s first NHL game, played at Edmonton, he slew-footed Oilers defenceman Brandon Davidson, giving him a concussion. Then, with a few seconds left in an irretrievable game, he launched himself at Adam Larsson’s head against the corner glass.

Ever since, a young defenceman who was on the ice with Davidson — Oiler Darnell Nurse — has voiced an open invitation to Tkachuk to drop the gloves and prove himself. Nurse dropped that invite again last Saturday — check the game tape — and Tkachuk’s eyes were averted while Nurse smiled down from above.

Fine. We will never criticize a player for not wanting to fight a man of Nurse’s size and ability. I wouldn’t either.

But here’s the rub: When you play the way Tkachuk plays, eventually you either have to take that fight or quit the cheap antics. Or else, Nurse might start doing to your skilled teammates what you’ve been doing to everyone else, to get that long list of priors with Player Safety.

And that’s where the gig boomerangs on you.

This is Hockey 101

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-matthew-tkachuk-molding-lovable-hatable-pest/ockey 101.

Archived