The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Value Of) Mike Hoffman

Pears

With things starting to get ugly in Ottawa they might look to blow things up and start over. They’ll most likely build things around Karlsson and everyone else could be up for grabs for the right price. So this leads up to my question, what would it take to get Mike Hoffman? IMO he’d be a perfect fit here and he’s still only 28. He has 9-15-24 in 37 games so far. 

Hoffman is one of the last people I'd expect moved from the Senators. Ryan and Duchene would probably be moved before him. Only if they sold EVERYONE and gutted the team. The problem with the Sens is they are in worse shape than Vancouver, with lots of high priced, low production players. And 9 NTC's or modified NTC's. Even Scotty Bowman in his prime would have a huge challenge in rebuilding that team. 

It'd take more than I hope Benning would be willing to give. He's got skills but he's too old for my liking, we'd be better off going after someone in free agency with cash freed up from the expiring Sedin deals than giving up assets for a piece like Hoffman.

Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It'd take more than I hope Benning would be willing to give. He's got skills but he's too old for my liking, we'd be better off going after someone in free agency with cash freed up from the expiring Sedin deals than giving up assets for a piece like Hoffman.

Just my two cents.

Evander Kane on a 7x7 deal?

2 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Evander Kane on a 7x7 deal?

I'd rather go after Tavares, though I imagine we'd have a better chance of signing Kane. I'll be surprised if Tavares comes out west.

7x4 or 7x5 would be the most I'd give Kane, I know he's doing well this season but the thought of signing him to a seven year deal makes me nervous.

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Rather pay a bit more and go after Tavares. 

If he hits FA, Tavares is going to be a lot more than a "little more".  I expect 10m is just the starting point.

With that said, I agree.  Tavares is a franchise guy who, combined with our other forwards and prospects would make our overall lines some of the best in the nhl almost immediately. 

And imagine our first line in 2-3 years:

Pettersson Tavares Boeser

Best line in the NHL.

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd rather go after Tavares, though I imagine we'd have a better chance of signing Kane. I'll be surprised if Tavares comes out west.

7x4 or 7x5 would be the most I'd give Kane, I know he's doing well this season but the thought of signing him to a seven year deal makes me nervous.

Depending on how things work out we could have enough cap space to go after Kane AND Tavares. We’d have to move players like Edler and Sutter and bring the Sedins back on cheap one year deals to make it work though. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Depending on how things work out we could have enough cap space to go after Kane AND Tavares. We’d have to move players like Edler and Sutter and bring the Sedins back on cheap one year deals to make it work though. 

True, true! That's not something I'd personally wanna do though, with all these young guys coming up having some cap flexibility could be huge. If Boeser continues to produce like he has thus far this season he'll be in for quite a raise.

Kane makes me nervous, I'm not sure what kind of player we'd get after signing him long term.

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

True, true! That's not something I'd personally wanna do though, with all these young guys coming up having some cap flexibility could be huge. If Boeser continues to produce like he has thus far this season he'll be in for quite a raise.

Kane makes me nervous, I'm not sure what kind of player we'd get after signing him long term.

Yea that’s understandable. If we could get Hoffman instead that would be ideal. 

Archived