The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Parallel Disasters..Mtl, Ottawa

Nuxfanabroad

Both these franchises seemed to have recently had(now extinguished!) fairly lofty ambitions, merely wks ago. Whether that was hallucinatory, is probably a separate question.. For their respective GM's, that's now all quickly morphed into desperation.

Questions:

1- Which franchise will sink lower/for longer?

2- Is either GM gonna make next season?

3- Which team sells more key pieces, prior to this yr's draft? Will either team "scorch earth" it, right down to the roots?

4- What's the nastiest issue(s) facing either team, in hopes of a rebuild?

***BONUS Question***

You're given a 5 yr contract to ride in(as GM) & save either team. A Benning-special! Which one would you want? How would you go about it?

(this might first require a wreckin' ball kiddies..let's keep this civil, with compassion for our Ott, Mtl fan-counterparts)

I'll post my own feelings in a bit, if this thing has legs. Kinda' sad, these are two Cdn franchises that I like to see do well..but I'll bet one little sneaky, wh*ring NY lawyer is havin' a ball.

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Both these franchises seemed to have recently had(now extinguished!) fairly lofty ambitions, merely wks ago. Whether that was hallucinatory, is probably a separate question.. For their respective GM's, that's now all quickly morphed into desperation.

Questions:

1- Which franchise will sink lower/for longer?

2- Is either GM gonna make next season?

3- Which team sells more key pieces, prior to this yr's draft? Will either team "scorch earth" it, right down to the roots?

4- What's the nastiest issue(s) facing either team, in hopes of a rebuild?

***BONUS Question***

You're given a 5 yr contract to ride in(as GM) & save either team. A Benning-special! Which one would you want? How would you go about it?

(this might first require a wreckin' ball kiddies..let's keep this civil, with compassion for our Ott, Mtl fan-counterparts)

I'll post my own feelings in a bit, if this thing has legs. Kinda' sad, these are two Cdn franchises that I like to see do well..but I'll bet one little sneaky, wh*ring NY lawyer is havin' a ball.

Montreal has less NMC contracts. But that's offset it doesn't have much to trade. 

They've got some prospects to work with. I think Ottawa might have more pieces to trade, and given the way they are trending it might be easier for players to want to move to a competitor. It will be interesting to watch. 

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Montreal has less NMC contracts. But that's offset it doesn't have much to trade. 

They've got some prospects to work with. I think Ottawa might have more pieces to trade, and given the way they are trending it might be easier for players to want to move to a competitor. It will be interesting to watch. 

Will Dorion/Bergevin be working on these projects much longer?(I say no)

30 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Will Dorion/Bergevin be working on these projects much longer?(I say no)

Other than Pacioretty or Price, Bergevin is out of scapegoats. He's done by the end of the year; if not before. Now if only Montreal would ditch that ridiculous requirement that coaching and management be francophones and they might be able to actually put together solid front office.

As for Ottawa, it's tough to say what Dorion's future is. I think there's only so much blame that can be placed on Dorion when Melnyk is such a cheap bastard that Ottawa was forced to give up assets to make a lateral move in the Duchene trade.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Other than Pacioretty or Price, Bergevin is out of scapegoats. He's done by the end of the year; if not before. Now if only Montreal would ditch that ridiculous requirement that coaching and management be francophones and they might be able to actually put together solid front office.

As for Ottawa, it's tough to say what Dorion's future is. I think there's only so much blame that can be placed on Dorion when Melnyk is such a cheap bastard that Ottawa was forced to give up assets to make a lateral move in the Duchene trade.

Ottawa: For that "cheap"(as everyone calls him) owner, it's ironic that he's saddled with two albatrosses in Ryan & Phaneuf. Preceding GM's (Murray, I think?)error, but those two $ probs, appear dominoes that are setting off other poor decisions. They knew they have a cap-crunch on the way.

Out of the two, I think Ottawa could exit this steaming pile of an iteration the fastest....if they have the balls to do so.  Hell, even Bergevin could probably restock with assets if he's willing to pull the trigger, but neither will be a power house anytime soon.  Luckily, it seems that Vancouver jumped up from the bottom of the Canadian teams to mid without having to do anything special than stay the course.

I would love to see Ottawa go full fire sale and restock with picks and prospects.  Can you imagine the return on Karlsson?  And turning around and flipping Duchene, let alone Brassard, Hoffman, and Stone.  And there are plenty of people who have eyes for physicality and truculence that would love Phaneuf.  Hardest to pull off for a big return would be Ryan, and you'd still be able to get a decent return on him if you sold him to the right bidder.

As for Montreal, sell Weber to Edm, and see if you can throw price in there as well.  Worst thing they could have done is saddle themselves with a 10.5 million/yr for 8 year contract to Price.  Should have sold high, and landed a plethora of pieces.  I know you build from the goalie out, but you're looking at sinking at least 13-14 million dollars into a tandem.  How the hell are you going to have a team skate in front of you that's decent when you start like that.  And people were complaining about Luongo's contract.  And it isn't like Montreal has a ton of prospects of A+ quality coming down the pipeline.  And we won't talk about the fact they still don't have a #1 centre.

As for the question of either GM having a job by the end of the season, all depends on what they do between now and trade deadline.  I don't think either will be wise enough to pull the plug and go full rebuild, so it'll probably be on another management team.

If I knew more about each team's respective prospect pool I'd be able to pick a team. As it stands now I think Montreal is pretty much post Gillis Vancouver when it comes to prospects. So they don't have much to work with and I am not a fan of the Price and Weber contracts. How many years does Weber have left? 30? Lol. So I guess with that said I take the cheapskate Melnyk team.

Both teams will be competing against Boston, Tampa Bay and Toronto which all look like dangerous teams for time to come. Add that to the already stacked Metro Division. A playoff both for either team will be very hard to pull off. Ottawa is in a better position than Montreal is imo. 

Ottawa's 1st to Colorado(Duch-disaster) is top-10 protected..meaning they'll prob keep this yr's.

So if they sell hard & next yr are also lame, that deal will remind people of a hanging high-pick, haunting TO(Kessel deal) for months.

Dorion jumped the shark into the Titanic ballroom...

I take Montreal given a choice.

Ottawa has better assets but far more unmovable contracts.  I also don't think Price is overpaid.  There would be definite interest should Montreal choose to move him.  Ottawa's ownership is simply too much of a handicap for any qualified person to take that job.  By the time their next core is ready to contend, their GM will be forced to make some bad trades because their owner doesn't care about icing a competitive team.

Archived