The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Parallel Disasters..Mtl, Ottawa

Nuxfanabroad

Don't quite see the logic in this trade other than to shake things up in Calgary.  Rychel is the type of player that Shinkaruk isn't.  I would have been happy doing this trade a few years ago as well, but times do change.  Not sure how this helps Montreal tho.  Maybe the change in scenery will at least make Shinkaruk a first line winger on the AHL team?  He isn't bringing anything to the table on the wing to the big club from what i could see.  The problem in Montreal is what the problem has been for a long time, need a top line center.  Didn't even manage to lose a contract in this trade.

33 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Don't quite see the logic in this trade other than to shake things up in Calgary.  Rychel is the type of player that Shinkaruk isn't.  I would have been happy doing this trade a few years ago as well, but times do change.  Not sure how this helps Montreal tho.  Maybe the change in scenery will at least make Shinkaruk a first line winger on the AHL team?  He isn't bringing anything to the table on the wing to the big club from what i could see.  The problem in Montreal is what the problem has been for a long time, need a top line center.  Didn't even manage to lose a contract in this trade.

If Mtl got lucky(powerball level) & Shink became a consistent 30 g man, I wouldn't even mind. That eyesore-franchise deserves a nice turn of fortune.

Don't like their GM, Bargain-bin, however. Ever since he publicly whined about Benning(Subban matter).

11 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If Mtl got lucky(powerball level) & Shink became a consistent 30 g man, I wouldn't even mind. That eyesore-franchise deserves a nice turn of fortune.

Don't like their GM, Bargain-bin, however. Ever since he publicly whined about Benning(Subban matter).

Funny thing with Bergevin whining about Benning, is that his franchise would have been better off with the pieces from our offer, whatever it would have been, than it has been with Weber.

10 hours ago, xereau said:

Bergevin is a problem in Montreal.  I can not see how he still has a job.

And the elephant in the room:  The Francophone Quota.  As long as this team is handicapped with this ridiculousness, it will flounder.

You are assuming that there are not french people/players capable of turning this franchise around.  You can serve both masters without sinking this franchise, if you are wise enough and shrewd enough to manipulate it.  Most canadians have a working knowledge of french, and enough time we'd be mostly fluent to the levels expected of answering questions in a press scrum.  Plus, we don't know what pressures there are from the boss behind the scenes.  There must be some control, as Bergevin has a very long leash.

12 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I would love to see Hunter score 30 for the Habs.  I hate the Flames more than the Habs, so it would be satisfying to see the Flames lose - again:)

1 hour ago, DallasDrake said:

What makes it ridiculous?

Because the job of a GM is to put together the best possible team.  Every single position. The Habs have token Francophone guys, and, always have.  The chance that the token guys are actually better than all other options available, is statistically impossible.  Thus, the ridiculous handicap.  Imagine if Vancouver had to have a guy from Surrey always on the team.  But the best player from Surrey was at best WHL level. But you had to have him!!   You have handicapped yourself.  Its the same in Montreal.  Gotta have a coach that is French.  Huh?  Gotta have a GM that is French.  Huh?  Why wouldn't they want the best possible person for every single position?  There are a bunch of examples over the years where the Canadiens towed along an anchor because of his heritage.  Its bad for the team, and just one thing of what is wrong in Montreal.  And no, not saying the best possible option has never been a French player, because that is not the point.  The token appointments is the point.

10 hours ago, Solinar said:

You are assuming that there are not french people/players capable of turning this franchise around.  You can serve both masters without sinking this franchise, if you are wise enough and shrewd enough to manipulate it.  Most canadians have a working knowledge of french, and enough time we'd be mostly fluent to the levels expected of answering questions in a press scrum.  Plus, we don't know what pressures there are from the boss behind the scenes.  There must be some control, as Bergevin has a very long leash.

Capable, and best possible solution, are completely different things.

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

Because the job of a GM is to put together the best possible team.  Every single position. The Habs have token Frandophone guys, and, always have.  The chance that the token guys are actually better than all other options available, is statistically impossible.  Thus, the ridiculous handicap.  Imagine if Vancouver had to have a guy from Surrey always on the team.  But the best player from Surrey was Prab Rai. But you had to have him.  You have handicapped yourself.  Its the same in Montreal.  Gotta have a coach that is French.  Huh?  Gotta have a GM that is French.  Huh?  Why wouldn't they want the best possible person for every single position?  There are a bunch of examples over the years where the Canadiens towed along an anchor because of his heritage.  Its bad for the team, and just one thing of what is wrong in Montreal.

Is there a French quota though?  I’m no Habs fan, but I am a HUGE Canuck’s fan.  I could care less where our players come from, just so long as we win.  Wouldn’t the Hab’s fans be similar minded, and just want to win?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is there a French quota though?  I’m no Habs fan, but I am a HUGE Canuck’s fan.  I could care less where our players come from, just so long as we win.  Wouldn’t the Hab’s fans be similar minded, and just want to win?  

Of course there is.  Inherent bias = handicapping yourself as a franchise.  You have never heard the discussions over who should be the coach or the new GM over the years?  How it has to be someone bilungual?  HAS? Or, when they rant over how blasphemous it was to have an English only speaking coach?   Its always in the discussion when Montreal switches up coach/GM, every single time.

1 minute ago, xereau said:

Of course there is.  Inherent bias = handicapping yourself as a franchise.  You have never heard the discussions over who should be the coach or the new GM over the years?  Or, when they how blasphemous it was to have an English only speaking coach?   Its always in the discussion when Montreal switches up coach/GM, every single time.

Was Scotty Bowman a Francophone?  It might be a media bias, but I still think we fans are the same all over; we just want to win.  If it’s in the upper management and ownership to have a French quota, then their team is doomed.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Was Scotty Bowman a Francophone?  It might be a media bias, but I still think we fans are the same all over; we just want to win.  If it’s in the upper management and ownership to have a French quota, then their team is doomed.  

No this quota is relatively new.  Want to say it became a thing in the mid 90's?  Identity politics was inserted into the Canadiens' organization.  You have never heard the endless discussion on HNIC on how so and so would be an excellent candidate for the Canadiens, but, he doesn't speak French so scratch that.  Its inherently handicapping, is my point.

21 minutes ago, xereau said:

Because the job of a GM is to put together the best possible team.  Every single position. The Habs have token Francophone guys, and, always have.  The chance that the token guys are actually better than all other options available, is statistically impossible.  Thus, the ridiculous handicap.  Imagine if Vancouver had to have a guy from Surrey always on the team.  But the best player from Surrey was at best WHL level. But you had to have him!!   You have handicapped yourself.  Its the same in Montreal.  Gotta have a coach that is French.  Huh?  Gotta have a GM that is French.  Huh?  Why wouldn't they want the best possible person for every single position?  There are a bunch of examples over the years where the Canadiens towed along an anchor because of his heritage.  Its bad for the team, and just one thing of what is wrong in Montreal.  And no, not saying the best possible option has never been a French player, because that is not the point.  The token appointments is the point.

Prab Rai. Lol.

Just now, rekker said:

Prab Rai. Lol.

Heh I edited that out.  He was actually good in junior, had hopes for him.  And it would have been a good story to have him make the team.  But my point still stands.  BAD to have inherent bias when trying to fill out BPA in all positions from GM to sock boy.

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

No this quota is relatively new.  Want to say it became a thing in the mid 90's?  Identity politics was inserted into the Canadiens' organization.  You have never heard the endless discussion on HNIC on how so and so would be an excellent candidate for the Canadiens, but, he doesn't speak French so scratch that.  Its inherently handicapping, is my point.

If I was living in Quebec and a Hab’s fan, I’d be pissed.  That’s a stupid way to think.  Sure, it’s nive to have local players on the home team, but only if they are the best option.  

I think the discussion has been brought up that Vancouver should look at the WHL for players, let alone for BC born players as a whole.  Look at Don Cherry, the maple leafs discussion over the last few years where he criticises them not only for not taking guys from Ontario or the OHL, to just canadians in general.  But as a good owner, you bring in the best people, and then you sell it.  Usually the product after awhile does the selling itself.  You can always get yourself a 'president' that does pressers, or some such.  

I will say this, if your business model is dependent on selling francophone players to a francophone market base, you had better be investing heavily into the development of francophone players from peewee on up.  At that point, Montreal should have its hooks and personnel all over any and all junior teams throughout the province, upping the % chance of getting great or serviceable francophone players thru all rounds of the draft.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

i'm pretty sure the canucks have some sort of swedish quota ?? :P

Archived