The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada's top CEOs earn 200 times an average worker's salary: report

Ryan Strome

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm conservative, nothing has changed. Standing up for Canadian workers is not a partisan thing It's the right thing. If these corporations are doing so well why is the average Canadian not? You're American I believe?? During Americas best times both parties at the helm corporations made big money and average workers did well with consistent pay growth this was pretty much the same in Canada.

Going back to the conservative part I'm not saying the government should pay for everything however loopholes could be removed and billionaires could pay their fair share. I think you would agree. 

A strong middle class for any political party and country is a good thing and at one time was very much a conservative idea. If wages were going up at higher percentage and the average worker had more disposable income I doubt you would see any concern for how much ceos are making.

I figured nothing had changed, but you're getting sucked in by a liberal article meant to pull on the heartstrings.

I agree with you about the strong middle class.  I'm happy to have some loopholes removed, as you should know I am all about simplifying our tax codes (which includes flattening the rates, btw).  But you should also know that the top people are already paying the most taxes.  In Canada, it's more subdued than here, but according to this article, the top 10% in Canada earn 32% of the income, but pay 40% of all taxes.  Seems like they are paying their share, no?

Fully agree that if our incomes were rising as well, there would be less concern over an article like this.  I just don't think that what is happening with these CEOs is the issue, and doing anything about that will have any noticeable impact.  There are other issues, as mentioned in my other posts, that need addressing.

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I figured nothing had changed, but you're getting sucked in by a liberal article meant to pull on the heartstrings.

I agree with you about the strong middle class.  I'm happy to have some loopholes removed, as you should know I am all about simplifying our tax codes (which includes flattening the rates, btw).  But you should also know that the top people are already paying the most taxes.  In Canada, it's more subdued than here, but according to this article, the top 10% in Canada earn 32% of the income, but pay 40% of all taxes.  Seems like they are paying their share, no?

Fully agree that if our incomes were rising as well, there would be less concern over an article like this.  I just don't think that what is happening with these CEOs is the issue, and doing anything about that will have any noticeable impact.  There are other issues, as mentioned in my other posts, that need addressing.

I think under our previous conservative government the top wealthiest paid more taxes and under this liberal government the wealthiest keep getting richer kinda like how it was under the previous liberal government.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Who are you, and what did you do with Ryan Strome?  There are plenty I would have thought would post this article and take that stance, but I didn't think you would be one of them.  When I saw @Jimmy McGill taking the opposing stance, I thought maybe you guys switched accounts somehow :)  (of course, that was dispelled when I saw Jimmy's minimum wage and free education post a couple minutes ago)

ewww. 

I'm a big believer in strong foundations, thats the common thread. So yeah, strong dividend paying companies means good pensions, high minimum wage makes a stronger economy, better access to education means more good paying jobs, etc etc. Sure some top 200 people are going to make a boatload, oh well. As long as the foundations are strong then I don't see the problem, or what the actual alternative would really be.

Thats why Trump is scary to me, I think he's really willing to let tens of millions go without proper health care and education. Thats just going to hurt the US in the long run. 

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think under our previous conservative government the top wealthiest paid more taxes and under this liberal government the wealthiest keep getting richer kinda like how it was under the previous liberal government.

Could well be, but I have no idea. 

Despite his best plans, the wealth gap got worse, not better, under Obama's tenure.  I have no illusions that Trump will rectify that, but it would be good for a laugh (as well as good overall) if his tax plan succeeded in doing so. 

5 minutes ago, Heretic said:

No, but under Communism, everyone would get paid the same wouldn't they?

Did anyone suggest that? Certainly not me. Like I said earlier if the average Canadian was seeing better pay increases they likely wouldn't be concerned with what CEOs were earning. However with a dying middle class and the cost of living going up daily on the average Canadian it looks very concerning why the wealthiest keep getting significant pay raises.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Did anyone suggest that? Certainly not me. Like I said earlier if the average Canadian was seeing better pay increases they likely wouldn't be concerned with what CEOs were earning. However with a dying middle class and the cost of living going up daily on the average Canadian it looks very concerning why the wealthiest keep getting significant pay raises.

No, but I was being sarcastic. :emot-parrot:

A CEO earning 200 times what an average worker gets paid in the same company makes sense. If you look at how many employees are under a typical CEO then really that CEO’s salary does not constitute much of the overall pay of the company.

Take Telus for example. Darren Entwistle could be making $10,000,000 but he has around 40,000 employees under his watch. So his total compensation only accounts for around $250 per employee.

Now if the company is doing really well and giving Entwistle some major bonuses then the average employees should also be sharing in that profit. That’s why companies like Telus have stock option plans for employees as well as other types of bonuses included in their compensation plan. However if you work at a small or medium sized business that’s not publicly traded then you may not get any perks at all. 

Bottom line is if you want to make money in this world either work for yourself or get a great education and work your way up the ladder to get into senior management.  

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ewww. 

I'm a big believer in strong foundations, thats the common thread. So yeah, strong dividend paying companies means good pensions, high minimum wage makes a stronger economy, better access to education means more good paying jobs, etc etc. Sure some top 200 people are going to make a boatload, oh well. As long as the foundations are strong then I don't see the problem, or what the actual alternative would really be.

Thats why Trump is scary to me, I think he's really willing to let tens of millions go without proper health care and education. Thats just going to hurt the US in the long run. 

re: ewwww... I know, I know :) I'm sure Ryan shuddered a little as well.

Agree with most of the middle paragraph.  I would say higher wages rather than higher minimum wage.  It is better if we earn more, but just legislating some arbitrary number does not make sense, and can widen the gap rather than narrow it, as lower income earners lose job opportunities. 

When it comes to the global marketplace, we are all likely 1%-ers (only need to be making about 35K/year to qualify).  The opening of world markets and the development of poorer countries is going to cause more equalization than any communist would admire.

I've debated the last paragraph often enough elsewhere, especially the health care portion of it.  No need for us to derail things here.

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Agree with most of the middle paragraph.  I would say higher wages rather than higher minimum wage.  It is better if we earn more, but just legislating some arbitrary number does not make sense, and can widen the gap rather than narrow it, as lower income earners lose job opportunities. 

When it comes to the global marketplace, we are all likely 1%-ers (only need to be making about 35K/year to qualify).  The opening of world markets and the development of poorer countries is going to cause more equalization than any communist would admire.

I've debated the last paragraph often enough elsewhere, especially the health care portion of it.  No need for us to derail things here.

its not really a derailment tho, ultimately we're talking about overall quality of life. So a strong social safety net and guaranteed living wages just makes things better for all of us. And it doesn't have to be nutty, I think the Aussies have shown something in the range of 20 bucks per hour works well, if the health care is there for you too. 

Can we talk about mandatory 6 weeks of vacation now too :lol:?

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not really a derailment tho, ultimately we're talking about overall quality of life. So a strong social safety net and guaranteed living wages just makes things better for all of us. And it doesn't have to be nutty, I think the Aussies have shown something in the range of 20 bucks per hour works well, if the health care is there for you too. 

Can we talk about mandatory 6 weeks of vacation now too :lol:?

$20 per hour as a minimum wage?  So you want the guy flipping burgers at McDonald’s to get paid $42,000 per year?

They're making far, far more than they can spend, that's why I have a problem with it.

Using the Rogers CEO as an example, and his $26mil salary. He simply can't and won't spend that much money. That money is essentially dead. It's NEVER going to trickle down.

So you give the Rogers employees an $80 month raise and guess what? The regular joes are going to spend it and benefit the economy far greater than some fat old cotton head sitting on a mountain of money.

15 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

$20 per hour as a minimum wage?  So you want the guy flipping burgers at McDonald’s to get paid $42,000 per year?

think of how many more condo's you'd be able to sell Harv 

On 1/2/2018 at 1:25 PM, Harvey Spector said:

I am not a money hoarder.  I am happy when my neighbours make more money and can afford to buy their kids food, clothing and safe housing.

16 minutes ago, luckylager said:

They're making far, far more than they can spend, that's why I have a problem with it.

Using the Rogers CEO as an example, and his $26mil salary. He simply can't and won't spend that much money. That money is essentially dead. It's NEVER going to trickle down.

So you give the Rogers employees an $80 month raise and guess what? The regular joes are going to spend it and benefit the economy far greater than some fat old cotton head sitting on a mountain of money.

Pffft............give me a shot.........I could spend that!  :P 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I am not a money hoarder.  I am happy when my neighbours make more money and can afford to buy their kids foot, clothing and safe housing.

If every person flipping burgers was making $42,000 a year then 50% of all the restaurants in Vancouver would have to shut down. 

You can’t have a $20 minimum wage. It would kill the economy. 

Archived