The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Winnipeg - Ottawa Blockbuster

Pears

I posted a thread the other day about what it would take to get Mike Hoffman from Ottawa. Today I came up with another idea that would almost surely push Winnipeg over the top. As mentioned in my other post the Senators may look to blow things up and start over. So here’s my proposal:

To Winnipeg: Mark Stone

To Ottawa: Kristian Vesalainen, Logan Stanley, 2018 1st

Winnipeg has a bunch of good prospects/young players that would be enticing for Ottawa. It would be tough to part ways with Stone, but that package would surely be enough. 

Possible Winnipeg lines:

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler

Laine - Little - Stone

Connor - Lowry - Tanev

Matthias - Perrault - Copp

Morrissey - Trouba

Kulikov - Byfuglien

Enstrom - Myers

Hellebuyck

Mason

Thoughts?

Stanley is garbage, something all scouts know. Aside from that, not sure why this makes sense for Winnipeg. Connor has been fine on the top line alongside Scheifele and Wheeler. Bumping him down to the 3rd line is a real kick in the teeth. Not that Stone wouldn't help, he would. But considering how much Trouba, Laine, and Connor will cost to extend, it's really not the area they need to focus on improving.

Winnipeg likely needs to find a replacement LHD for Enstrom, as he won't be extended. So if they're smart, they'll be targeting a LHD who's signed throughout next season at the least to replace Enstrom.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Stanley is garbage, something all scouts know. Aside from that, not sure why this makes sense for Winnipeg. Connor has been fine on the top line alongside Scheifele and Wheeler. Bumping him down to the 3rd line is a real kick in the teeth. Not that Stone wouldn't help, he would. But considering how much Trouba, Laine, and Connor will cost to extend, it's really not the area they need to focus on improving.

Winnipeg likely needs to find a replacement LHD for Enstrom, as he won't be extended. So if they're smart, they'll be targeting a LHD who's signed throughout next season at the least to replace Enstrom.

I'm glad it isn't just me that thinks this lol. 

However, I don't think the Jets give up a first round pick in a deal for Stone, where he doesn't fill a gaping hole. 

Also see a nice match between these two. Nashville has a nasty roster..Jets best load up.

REALLY like Stone..unfortunately, don't know enough about the Winterpeg kids to give opinion on the valuation.

Sell, sell, sell Ottawa! They've got some beauty players, & could rebuild in a jiffy.

15 hours ago, Monty said:

Sounds like they could use a man named Edler.

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Sounds like they could use a man named Edler.

If he would waive and the Canucks would retain some, then it certainly would be an improvement.

There are other options out there as well, ranging from cheaper (ie: Jordie Benn) to ridiculously expensive (ie: OEL). Guess it depends on whether or not the Jets feel their time is right now or not.

14 minutes ago, Monty said:

If he would waive and the Canucks would retain some, then it certainly would be an improvement.

There are other options out there as well, ranging from cheaper (ie: Jordie Benn) to ridiculously expensive (ie: OEL). Guess it depends on whether or not the Jets feel their time is right now or not.

Edler does have some familiarity with Winnipeg playing with them for a year or two in the AHL a decade ago.

But I doubt Edler waives to go to any team.

Ottawa is in a really unique situation right now.  They just traded a big package of future assets for Duchene...then the team started to tank.  They need to make Karlsson happy so that he re-signs after next year, so they can't really rebuild, but they're the third worst team in the league right now!  Selling makes Karlsson unhappy and shows the Duchene trade backfired.  Buying doesn't make sense since they suck.  They're caught between a rock and a hard place.

Back to the original post, I think value is somewhat fair, as Stone is a really good player, and he's young and a pending RFA.  However giving up first rounders three years in a row is really steep for a team that is up and coming like the Jets.  Honestly I think the value is fair, but neither team does it.

Archived