The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

This is from when Edler was injured earlier this season. He was  4-5 minutes more than any one else once again. I think some fans just watch certain players for something to whine about. Del Zotto was -4 and Tanev was -3 and people are whining about Edler.

"The 31-year-old blueliner has an MCL sprain and will be out 4-6 weeks, the team confirmed on Saturday.

Nobody logs bigger minutes on the team than Edler, so it goes without saying that he’ll be tough to replace. The Swedish defenceman played 25:37 on opening night, followed by 22:58 of ice time in the second game of the season against the Senators.

“Tough news for us,” Erik Gudbranson, who will log bigger minutes in Edler’s absence, said after practice on Saturday. “He’s our leader on the backend. Guys have to step up and we have to be ready for an angry team tonight.”"

8 minutes ago, apollo said:

I think if you keep Miller on the canucks, we would be a playoff team... Or at least close. 

Goaltending hasn't been good this year. 

Tough to see us making playoffs at this point. Just have to build towards next year now =( 

I always knew with the departure of Miller heading into this season that goaltending was going to be one of the key factors. 

So.........

• Horvat needs to be given the C for next season
  • Markstrom and Nilsson need to be traded, neither will be a competent NHL goalie over an entire season
  • Edler needs to be traded, his inconsistency has plagued this team for far too long
  • The Sedins need to consider retirement, they aren't going to provide anything that other younger vets can't at this point in the rebuild
  • Gudbranson needs to be traded for a maximum return, he clearly doesn't want to be here, and needs to stop stealing a roster spot (I've been an avid supporter of the guy but his floating and indifferent play as of late are an insult to the team that's paying him)
  • Eriksson needs to be approached regarding a trade, as he's a pathetic floater

This team needs a solid team identity that out of all the aforementioned players, only Horvat has shown he can provide. The rest are either way past their prime, mentally not interested in being here, or not NHL caliber players. 

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i agree

but still mixed feelings

came onto pgt

cuz i was hoping vintage woulda worked some magic

and changed the outcome to a canuck win

but i'm thinking he might be switching to the all tank team now :P

Wooo, What? Did I miss something? He hasn't registered yet!

Well this was the first game where it looked like the team actually gave up... not a good sign.

Nilsson is now having his own crisis of confidence... just as Markstrom was getting over his.

Some of the older players are not stepping up... especially Eriksson.

Sedins are working hard... but they are not a first line... they were matched as a first line.

Boeser is being checked very heavily now... he needs someone like Horvat on his line who has the speed and physicality to open up the ice.  I would like to see how he does with Virtanen on his line.

Counting the days till Bo comes back.  :(

Edit:

Oh yeah.... we saw today the first time Boeser has had a legit scoring chance and be beaten by the goalie.  Just shows how good a goalie Miller is and was.  Every other time Boeser has had a chance like that he buried it.  And it wasn't a mistake by Boeser... was just Miller being Miller.

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

So did the people whining about Edler just listen on the radio? The only goal he was on against us was a big rebound by Nilsson. Edler closed the gap and angled the guy off, but he scored on a back-hander from below the goal line. That one was on Nilsson. The rest of the goals were DZ-Tanev and one DZ-Pouliot.

Goldobin and Boucher are still too soft and seem timid against bigger teams.

I have to agree here. I thought Edler had a strong game tonight and showed more fire than usual. 

I just don't like him on the pp. He doesn't have enough speed to rush the puck up ice nor can he get a shot through from the point. 

He's too predictable in the PP. You know he's going to drop the puck so defenders don't even back up anymore. They stay on his hip when he's rushing the puck up ice. 

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Now I MIGHT BE WRONG, DOESN'T VEGAS GET AN AUTOMATIC 3RD PLACE PLACEMENT FOR THE NEXT 2 DRAFTS AS PART OF THEM ENTERING THE LEAGUE?

WHICH MEAN REGARDLESS OF WHERE THEY END UP THEY GET THE SAME ODDS OF A TOP 3 PICK AS OTTAWA WOULD RIGHT NOW?

No, they don't get the third best odds in the draft lottery this year nor in the future years. That was only to happen last year.

Archived