The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Patrick Maroon suspended 2 games

What I find funny is that if McDavid was a split second slower Maroon would have also crunched McDavid and all the Edmonton faithful would have had their pitchforks ready at him.

They gave Maroon less because he kept his precious McDougall safe and sound by administering some Edmonton frontier justice on Doughty.

Edmonton keeps on getting f'ed. Hahahaha. Bettman is clearly getting bags of cash from Katz to solidify the drafting of Dahlin.

Could be the reason he only got 2 games was that he explained to the DiPSticks that he plays the Canucks so often that he thought that type of check was acceptable, since those are generally not suspensions when you hit a Canuck that way. They accepted his explanation, but still gave him a suspension because the offence was not against the Nucks.

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Meh, he doesn't break a stride nor extend his shoulder or elbow.  TBH this is why they say keep your head up. 

Really?   Have you played buddy?    You really think a hit like this is OK and DD should have been looking over his shoulder to avoid this type of hit?

Wow.

Edit - Combover, why not comment like an adult and say why you like head shots and have a discussion instead of hiding in the background?   If you support full on hard hitting hockey, one would think you could at least discuss your manly ways.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

About right for his first offence. Maroon is a fairly clean player. Plays hard and tough. Wish he was on the Canucks.

Ya, not sure I have ever thought of him as a dirty player.   It is a bad looking play though.   Fact that he almost obliterated his captain too is showing he wasn't thinking all that straight and was likely simply very frustrated being on the team he is currently on.   I think he could have pulled up a bit though and even though he isn't a dirty player (historically), it needs perhaps 3 to 5 simply on the nature of this type of play.  DD had really NO chance to defend and had his head towards puck so he wasn't culpable (vulnerable) they way some players put themselves (like looking back for a "suicide" pass) so this would seemingly be the nature of the hit the NHL really wants to get rid of.   

Note - just noted someone downvoted this without having the balls to simply reply that they liked the hit and think that headhunting is a part of the game.   Have some balls - if you think hockey should include head shots, write it down and take the comments that come.  Also I will assume you played a high level and were quite fine taking similar hits (in fact, that may well explain a lot when I think about it).  C'mon, man up!

Wasn't that bad, he was coasting and didn't really power through it. I'm not sure Maroon could have avoided catching Doughty and still made the hit.

That said, head hits, whether targeted or not can ruin careers and that message needs to be consistent.

It's still pisses me off that Kadri didn't get suspended for the hit on Daniel last year. His hit was far worse than Maroon catching Doughty there. Way, way worse

I think Maroon slowed down anticipating DD to play the puck...

Maroon was hunting DD a bit and thinking he was going to get a nice surprised check on him just after he handled the puck....

When DD did not touch the puck - Maroons plan went sideways....   Couldn't really hold up.

Luckily DD wasn't injured. It could have turned out much uglier...

I think 2 games was about right for a guy with little history of this kind of dirty play. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think Maroon slowed down anticipating DD to play the puck...

Maroon was hunting DD a bit and thinking he was going to get a nice surprised check on him just after he handled the puck....

When DD did not touch the puck - Maroons plan went sideways....   Couldn't really hold up.

Luckily DD wasn't injured. It could have turned out much uglier...

I think 2 games was about right for a guy with little history of this kind of dirty play. 

I think the real mitigating factor here was that the hit actually could have hurt McDavid as much as anyone which probably was a factor in them thinking that Maroon wasn't really looking too far "down the road" and made an emotional reaction type play out of frustration but if he really sped up into the player, McDavid is obliterated too.

In any event, it is a nasty headshot.   Career ending type of play potentially.   Message has been sent.   Maroon simply never been that type of player so likely will get the point.

Archived