The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Hortons Heirs Cut Paid Breaks and Benefits After Minimum Wage Hike

nucklehead

12 minutes ago, Kragar said:

That's awesome for you.  But not everyone can say the same.  How about instead of having the government raise prices and punish all customers and business owners, you instead choose to share some of your good fortune with those hard-working people you feel deserve more?  Sounds like a win-win.

When our neighbours have money for food and shelter , it makes all us richer.

People in BC need to find space in their hearts for their neighbours...

On 1/4/2018 at 3:37 AM, Jester13 said:

And I know this may be difficult for some people to understand, but not everyone has the privilege of living at home while they get an education. For some people, a minimum wage job is all they have, and all they will ever have. 

They have nobody to blame but themselves if that is the case. If you work hard enough in life, especially in this country, you can get what you want in life.

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

If you work hard enough in life, especially in this country, you can get what you want in life.

Now that’s a discussion for another thread.

“just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.”

- The Great Gatsby

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Giving people hand outs doesn’t make people’s lives richer. Earned what you deserve is far more rewarding than living of the backs of someone else’s hard work. 

You want to enrich someone’s life. Teach them the benefits of hard work, teach them how to be financially responsible, teach the benefit of investing in their self so inturn they can contribute positively to society.  

Entry level jobs are in place to do that and get people’s foot in the door. Low stress, low skillsets and low responsibility. The pay isnt very high but thats to motivate people to be more and do more with there lives. To get higher skillsets and take on more responsibility. All raising min wage does is rewards people to stay at that entry level. To not invest in themselfs and to get through life doing the minimum.  That does not contribute to society and does not make Canada better/stronger. All that does is put more weight on the hard workers in order to support the poor choices of others. 

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

Now that’s a discussion for another thread.

“just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.”

- The Great Gatsby

That quote is 100% true.  But I’ve noticed this trend in today that tries to make people feel shame for have an advantage in life. It’s gone beyond the idea that we need to not hold everyone to the same standards as to why not everyone is successful. 

This whole check your privlages movement has got me scratching my head. Why should someone feel shame for being born into a loving house hold. Why should someone feel bad that there parents made smart financial choices?  

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Giving people hand outs doesn’t make people’s lives richer. Earned what you deserve is far more rewarding than living of the backs of someone else’s hard work. 

You want to enrich someone’s life. Teach them the benefits of hard work, teach them how to be financially responsible, teach the benefit of investing in their self so inturn they can contribute positively to society.  

Entry level jobs are in place to do that and get people’s foot in the door. Low stress, low skillsets and low responsibility. The pay isnt very high but thats to motivate people to be more and do more with there lives. To get higher skillsets and take on more responsibility. All raising min wage does is rewards people to stay at that entry level. To not invest in themselfs and to get through life doing the minimum.  That does not contribute to society and does not make Canada better/stronger. All that does is put more weight on the hard workers in order to support the poor choices of others. 

MInimum wage jobs that require low skillsets are now common for way too  many Canadians

These jobs may be lower skill but they are still very physically demanding and also very stressful.   Have you ever worked at McDonalds at peak hours..... ? 

Paying these people a wage that is so low that they can not afford to eat / rent shelter  -  that is  exploitation.

Paying people a living wage for their hard work is  NOT a  HANDOUT.   

If a business can not afford to pay a living wage , then the business should be sold and better more skilled  management should be brought in.  

No thanks, my vision for Canada is better than that.  Canada is not a third world country and we can do better than that. 

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Exactly.  Not the government, the people.  Your solution makes everybody pay more.  People like you who have the means need find the space in your own hearts to help their neighbors, and not just pry into the wallets of all your neighbors.  

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Exactly.  Not the government, the people.  Your solution makes everybody pay more.  People like you who have the means need find the space in your own hearts to help their neighbors, and not just pry into the wallets of all your neighbors.  

We have witnessed the last 20 years Canada's decline into  lower social services similar to the  FAILED  USA model / system. 

Canadians don't want to make the same mistakes Americans have made by creating a country with lower life spans / crazy medical costs.  / crime  / poverty   / gated community   / need for private  armed security guards in the  7 -11   .. etc.

We need to model Denmark, Sweden , Finland and create a country where it's citizens are happy / healthy    

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

MInimum wage jobs that require low skillsets are now common for way too  many Canadians

These jobs may be lower skill but they are still very physically demanding and also very stressful.   Have you ever worked at McDonalds at peak hours..... ? 

Nope but i guarantee it’s far less stressful than making a decision the will affect million in revenue. Which person do you think makes more money. 

You are rewarded based on the value you bring to society. To more you contribute to a demand, the more society will pay you.

You say you are well off so I’m sure you got raises in your life. We’re those raises deserved or did the just pay you more out of the goodness of there hearts?  I’m going with, they found value in what you brought and paid you accordingly. 

Paying these people a wage that is so low that they can not afford to eat / rent shelter  -  that is  exploitation.

That is subjective. Rent is not standardize. If you can’t afford an area, move to a cheaper one.  

Yes it is. The definition of a living wage varies on location. Choosing to living in a high expense area is a personal choice.

you say your house has gone up in value. You are free to sell that place move and max out that dollar in a cheaper location. 

37 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If a business can not afford to pay a living wage , then the business should be sold and better more skilled  management should be brought in.  

it’s not a businesses responsibility to. All a business is supposed to do is provide a supply for when people determine there is a demand. People need to take action for there own lives not rely on others to provide for them. 

No thanks, my vision for Canada is better than that.  Canada is not a third world country and we can do better than that. 

Your vision makes Canada weak and holds back the people that bring you the quality of life that you currently get to enjoy. 

40 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Hard work McDonalds.... HAHA

Minimum wage is a fare wage in most areas, might not be in Vancouver but that doesnt mean that they should make more. you can easily rent a room from someone for minimum wage and ride a bike to places. 

People tend to forget that having shelter, clothing, food and water are the only necessities of life.  Cell phones, cable, internet, cars, owning a house or living without multiple roomates are all luxuries of life. 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

We have witnessed the last 20 years Canada's decline into  lower social services similar to the  FAILED  USA model / system. 

Canadians don't want to make the same mistakes Americans have made by creating a country with lower life spans / crazy medical costs.  / crime  / poverty  .. etc.

We need to model Denmark, Sweden , Finland and create a country where it's citizens are happy / healthy    

And a bump in minimum wage is going to change that?  Since most people who earn minimum wage are not the primary earners in their family, I don't see how this will accomplish your goal.

And, I think you need to take a closer look at those countries you refer to. They need higher wages when taxes take so much of their income.  People here making low wages pay little to no taxes here.  Depression rates for those countries are 2-3 times higher than the US, alcoholism is higher, unemployment is higher, they tend to have worse personal debt issues than we do.  And, crime might not be something you want to hang your hat on.  They do some things well, but they are far from perfect

55 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Nope but i guarantee it’s far less stressful than making a decision the will affect million in revenue. Which person do you think makes more money. 

You are rewarded based on the value you bring to society. To more you contribute to a demand, the more society will pay you.

You say you are well off so I’m sure you got raises in your life. We’re those raises deserved or did the just pay you more out of the goodness of there hearts?  I’m going with, they found value in what you brought and paid you accordingly. 

That is subjective. Rent is not standardize. If you can’t afford an area, move to a cheaper one.  

Yes it is. The definition of a living wage varies on location. Choosing to living in a high expense area is a personal choice.

you say your house has gone up in value. You are free to sell that place move and max out that dollar in a cheaper location. 

it’s not a businesses responsibility to. All a business is supposed to do is provide a supply for when people determine there is a demand. People need to take action for there own lives not rely on others to provide for them. 

Your vision makes Canada weak and holds back the people that bring you the quality of life that you currently get to enjoy. 

Your vision makes canada sick unhappy, and unsafe 

I want a strong canada with healthy happy citizens

no thanks to your 1 %er  vision for canada 

44 minutes ago, Kragar said:

And a bump in minimum wage is going to change that?  Since most people who earn minimum wage are not the primary earners in their family, I don't see how this will accomplish your goal.

And, I think you need to take a closer look at those countries you refer to. They need higher wages when taxes take so much of their income.  People here making low wages pay little to no taxes here.  Depression rates for those countries are 2-3 times higher than the US, alcoholism is higher, unemployment is higher, they tend to have worse personal debt issues than we do.  And, crime might not be something you want to hang your hat on.  They do some things well, but they are far from perfect

Do more research  and try other info than the fraser institute 

northern euro countries are the best countries with the overall most content / healthiest citizens 

i wonder why ?

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canadians don't want to make the same mistakes Americans have made by creating a country with lower life spans / crazy medical costs.  / crime  / poverty   / gated community   / need for private  armed security guards in the  7 -11   .. etc.

No we don't. We are Canada and we're not trying to be some other nation.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That quote is 100% true.  But I’ve noticed this trend in today that tries to make people feel shame for have an advantage in life. It’s gone beyond the idea that we need to not hold everyone to the same standards as to why not everyone is successful. 

This whole check your privlages movement has got me scratching my head. Why should someone feel shame for being born into a loving house hold. Why should someone feel bad that there parents made smart financial choices?  

It's not a matter of shaming people but rather creating awareness around what privilege is/means so that more empathy can be used towards others who do not have the same advantages in life.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No we don't. We are Canada and we're not trying to be some other nation.

It's not a matter of being like other countries, because, yes, we are Canada, but rather taking examples that work in other countries and learning from them. Take the names of countries aside and let's collectively look at what works and what doesn't and become the best Canada that we can be.

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

northern euro countries are the best countries with the overall most content / healthiest citizens 

i wonder why ?

Current minimum wage $11.35 x 40/w x4weeks -25% deductions = $1362.00

Rent w/ utilities $475 (Prince George w/ 1 roomate basement suite) 

food $300

bus pass $50

clothing $50

cell phone $60

entertainment $100

emergency fund $100

cable and internet $75

savings $150

-------------------

remaining $2

If someone thinks that making minimum wage is not a fare wage they are an idiot. 

41 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Your vision makes canada sick unhappy, and unsafe 

I want a strong canada with healthy happy citizens

no thanks to your 1 %er  vision for canada 

I agree with a lot of what @ForsbergTheGreat says but I do disagree with some things. @Kragar made a good post asking would raising the minimum wage stop the end to only rich and poor?

We do need a healthy middle class which unfortunately imo minimum wage workers don't fall in to. My biggest concern is the cost of living in Canada, even middle class workers are suffering. 

29 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

i wonder why ?

Fraser institute doesn't show up on US searches all that often, so I don't remember the last time I saw something from them.

How about the NIH?  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3854846/

OECD for debt issues?  https://data.oecd.org/hha/household-debt.htm

There are plenty of sources to look at unemployment rates without having to resort to something overtly biased.

Archived