The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Hortons Heirs Cut Paid Breaks and Benefits After Minimum Wage Hike

nucklehead

8 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Can you now make one of these for a single parent?

Also, why do think minimum wage has incrementally increased since its conception in the 20s?

Being a parent is a choice.  I can’t afford kids so guess what, I don’t have them yet. Ive chosen to wait to be more finacially stable before I bring another life into this world. 

Life is about choices. Poor choices have repercussions. Why should people that make smart choices carry the burden of supporting those that don’t.

Call me selfish. But I’ve sacrificed a lot to be where I’m at. I’ve watched friends make poor choices and now they are in the early/mid 30’s still living with there parents complaining that the world isn’t fair. And frankly I don’t have sympathy for them. 

17 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Life is about choices. Poor choices have repercussions. Why should people that make smart choices carry the burden of supporting those that don’t.

Life is about community.  I am happy to be part of a community.  I am happy to help out my neighbours and make my community stronger.

Greed is ugly and only makes our community weaker.

I have no problem contributing to others,  especially i see the money going to help disadvantaged kids. 

The poverty cycle is tough to break..... but helping families in poverty may allow the kids to get educated / ITA trade trained and break the poverty cycle. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Being a parent is a choice.  I can’t afford kids so guess what, I don’t have them yet. Ive chosen to wait to be more finacially stable before I bring another life into this world. 

Call me selfish. But I’ve sacrificed a lot to be where I’m at. I’ve watched friends make poor choices and now they are in the early/mid 30’s still living with there parents complaining that the world isn’t fair. And frankly I don’t have sympathy for them. 

This is why philosophy is so important. 

Life is not as simple as people making good or bad choices. Our "choices" are determined by choices that have already occurred: our free will is not as free as you may think.

For example, someone living in poverty who is addicted to drugs or alcohol did not choose to have an addict parent themselves growing up; someone missing all their teeth did not choose for their parents to not have any benefits growing up; someone who had their condom break did not choose the defective brand; someone working at a convenience store did not choose for the building owner to sell - the situations someone can dream up are absolutely endless, and you can likely dream up what people living with these sorts of real lives would be like as a result and what it would mean for them when we talk about trying to even find a minimum wage job, let alone living off one that doesn't ever increase to keep up with unstoppable/inevitable rising costs.

We often do not want to admit that our lives are not as free as we like them to be. 

I won't call you selfish. You're just ignorant of other factors that are at play (and I don't mean ignorant with the negative connotation that it often comes across as, merely just lacking additional knowledge).

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

We often do not want to admit that our lives are not as free as we like them to be. 

So very true.  

Great post.    Trump right wingers always think that the American Dream is so attainable for anyone.

Fact is, that for way too many canadians  that life is tough and opportunities are way too limited.

My kids followed my footsteps and went to UBC, UVIC and now SFU for degrees.  I have my eyes wide open and i recognize the advantages my parents gave me .....

I just want to see all families in BC share in the oppportunities our great province provides....

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

This is why philosophy is so important. 

Life is not as simple as people making good or bad choices. Our "choices" are determined by choices that have already occurred: our free will is not as free as you may think.

For example, someone living in poverty who is addicted to drugs or alcohol did not choose to have an addict parent themselves growing up; someone missing all their teeth did not choose for their parents to not have any benefits growing up; someone who had their condom break did not choose the defective brand;

This is a perfect example.  You don't want kids, don't have sex. Simple as that.  If you don't think you could raise a child with a person, then you probably shouldn't be doing the very deed that creates a child with them.  That might not have been what you wanted as an outcome but that's still a choice/risk, they took.

someone working at a convenience store did not choose for the building owner to sell - the situations someone can dream up are absolutely endless, and you can likely dream up what people living with these sorts of real lives would be like as a result and what it would mean for them when we talk about trying to even find a minimum wage job, let alone living off one that doesn't ever increase to keep up with unstoppable/inevitable rising costs.

One thing you keep missing is everything you just said was a result of a choice.  Be it the parents, or personal choices, life is as simple as choices.  Good ones result in good outcomes, bad ones have consequences, instead of people accepting responsibility they expect others to fix there lives for them.  Good choices aren't always the easiest to make, they often require sacrifice

I won't call you selfish. You're just ignorant of other factors that are at play (and I don't mean ignorant with the negative connotation that it often comes across as, merely just lacking additional knowledge).

I have plenty of knowledge, i know how life works,  I give 10% of my income, before taxes, to charities that i choose to help with.  There are plenty of legit factors for a person being in poverty and i'm ok with helping those people but min wage is not the answer.

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Life is about community.  I am happy to be part of a community.  I am happy to help out my neighbours and make my community stronger.

Greed is ugly and only makes our community weaker.

I have no problem contributing to others,  especially i see the money going to help disadvantaged kids. 

The poverty cycle is tough to break..... but helping families in poverty may allow the kids to get educated / ITA trade trained and break the poverty cycle. 

It's not that hard to break the poverty cycle, three very simply rules put you in the middle class.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This is a perfect example.  You don't want kids, don't have sex. Simple as that.  If you don't think you could raise a child with a person, then you probably shouldn't be doing the very deed that creates a child with them.  That might not have been what you wanted as an outcome but that's still a choice/risk, they took.

One thing you keep missing is everything you just said was a result of a choice.  Be it the parents, or personal choices, life is as simple as choices.  Good ones result in good outcomes, bad ones have consequences, instead of people accepting responsibility they expect others to fix there lives for them.  Good choices aren't always the easiest to make, they often require sacrifice

I have plenty of knowledge, i know how life works,  I give 10% of my income, before taxes, to charities that i choose to help with.  There are plenty of legit factors for a person being in poverty and i'm ok with helping those people but min wage is not the answer.

Minimum wage is not The answer, it is one small part of a solution to a very large problem. 

You missed my point with my examples.

Although I'm not going to give an in-depth philosophical explanation on why we don't have free will and what that means socially and politically, because I'm about to go to bed, this has inspired me to begin a new thread in the near future on Free Will, because the ramifications are immense, and I think many will find it useful and interesting. I'll let you know when I post it eventually. 

52 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Call me selfish. But I’ve sacrificed a lot to be where I’m at. I’ve watched friends make poor choices and now they are in the early/mid 30’s still living with there parents complaining that the world isn’t fair. And frankly I don’t have sympathy for them

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I just want to touch on the last part.  You have plenty of knowledge?? As a person without children I'm sorry to say but you truly know little about the real world.  Watched enough people chase their own tail around this world preaching to people like they know everything withouth having any "real experience".  

I hope  you don't end up sick and alone because you believed one should only rely on themselves only.. if you get cancer.. guess what bud.. I foot the bill ;) 

14 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It's not that hard to break the poverty cycle, three very simply rules put you in the middle class.

Your wrong

breaking the poverty cycle is extremely tough

Clearly  u are very inexperienced 

Minimum wage is not The answer, it is one small part of a solution to a very large problem. 

You missed my point with my examples.

I think you missed that each point is the result of a choice.  

Going to university and getting a degree is a choice.

Not having a kid before marriage is a choice.

Showing up to work and working hard is a choice.

Getting life insurance, to protect your family is a choice

Not living inner city is a choice

Spending more time on developing skillsets is a choice

Creating a fund for my children's education is a choice

Having a kid before marriage is a choice.

Partying and dropping out of school is a choice.

Not showing up for work is a choice.

Working at mcdonalds living downtown is a choice

Playing video games instead of developing a skillset is a choice

Spending all your money instead of putting some in savings for your children is a choice.

We are all free to make choices, and yes your choice can effect others close to you but everything is the result of good/bad choices.  We need to take responsibilities for our choices and not rely on others to bail us out.

Although I'm not going to give an in-depth philosophical explanation on why we don't have free will and what that means socially and politically, because I'm about to go to bed, this has inspired me to begin a new thread in the near future on Free Will, because the ramifications are immense, and I think many will find it useful and interesting. I'll let you know when I post it eventually. 

Sounds good

9 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

I just want to touch on the last part.  You have plenty of knowledge?? As a person without children I'm sorry to say but you truly know little about the real world.  Watched enough people chase their own tail around this world preaching to people like they know everything withouth having any "real experience".  

Yeah I don't have time for trolls.  Enjoy your "real experience"

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah I don't have time for trolls.  Enjoy your "real experience"

How am I a troll?  You clearly have very little life experience by your own admission (can't afford kids). Don't have them.  You are very limited in your experiences.  How is that trolling?  There is a reason single dudes don't make all the rules.. as they only know a single dudes problems.  

32 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So very true.  

Great post.    Trump right wingers always think that the American Dream is so attainable for anyone.

Fact is, that for way too many canadians  that life is tough and opportunities are way too limited.

My kids followed my footsteps and went to UBC, UVIC and now SFU for degrees.  I have my eyes wide open and i recognize the advantages my parents gave me .....

I just want to see all families in BC share in the oppportunities our great province provides....

I think this is what makes true Canadians great.  I could sit here and talk about my honor roll kids and my high wage job but that does no good.. what I will do is continue to bang the drum for those that haven't been as fortunate as I have.  It's not about choices.  People don't choose to be off work due to illness.  Or to have a sick child in children's hospital.  Or to fall off a roof at work and never be able to live a full life.. these aren't choices and that's why people like you and I are here.. to give them a helping hand to live the life they deserve as Canadians.

Just now, TheOgRook said:

How am I a troll?  You clearly have very little life experience by your own admission (can't afford kids). Don't have them.  You are very limited in your experiences.  How is that trolling?  There is a reason single dudes don't make all the rules.. as they only know a single dudes problems.  

I wonder why the minus button was removed......did you not minus 186 of my post in 15 minutes,  yep you are the exact definition of a troll.   

PS. I'm not single, i've been married for over 6 years, We've have "chosen" not to have kids yet because we enjoy the benefits of two incomes and the cost of day care in the area we've "chosen" to live in is over $1500 a month per kid, so until we are more financially stable on one income, we aren't at the point of having kids.  But you go on telling me about my life experience despite knowing zero about my life.

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I wonder why the minus button was removed......did you not minus 186 of my post in 15 minutes,  yep you are the exact definition of a troll.   

PS. I'm not single, i've been married for over 6 years, We've have "chosen" not to have kids yet because we enjoy the benefits of two incomes and the cost of day care in the area we've "chosen" to live in is over $1500 a month per kid, so until we are more financially stable on one income, we aren't at the point of having kids.  But you go on telling me about my life experience despite knowing zero about my life.

186 posts?? Geese bud you exaggerate much?  Try not being so condescending and abrasive.  And yes.. you still lack life experience. You chose that though and I respect that ;) 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

At least finish high school, get a full-time job and wait until age 21 to get married and have children. 

Follow those rules and you will reach middle class.

Didn't finish high school married with two kids by 21 Making enough to pay those 1500 daycare fees ;)  still think you know everything?  

Just now, TheOgRook said:

186 posts?? Geese bud you exaggerate much?  Try not being so condescending and abrasive.  And yes.. you still lack life experience. You chose that though and I respect that ;) 

Actually no exaggeration, it was exactly 186 post, All your life experiences must have giving you a lot of time on your hands

Archived