The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Anthony Duclair requests trade

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Really don't get the fuss about Duclair. But if I was him I would want out of Arizona as well. That Team is a mess. Great job Chayka. 

I wouldn't call it a fuss... more of just a change in the lineup. Nothing is really working as is and a  number of times you see a change of teams and player chemistry spark some new life into players. I fear that's what will happen to Virt eventually.

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Yeah it  doesn't seem right but do you really think Virt is going to change much from where he is right now? Are we losing anything or gaining something...

Jake has progressed substantially in the last 2 years. Even this year he has made a ton of progress. If anything you could argue Duclair has regressed in the last few years. Why would we trade our on pick who we have been developing for a regressing player?

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Jake has progressed substantially in the last 2 years. Even this year he has made a ton of progress. If anything you could argue Duclair has regressed in the last few years. Why would we trade our on pick who we have been developing for a regressing player?

After watching the last few games, they guy is hardly noticeable. If he is going to stay in this league he better be making some strides in the 2nd half of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him shipped out in the next couple years at the rate he is going.

5 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

After watching the last few games, they guy is hardly noticeable. If he is going to stay in this league he better be making some strides in the 2nd half of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him shipped out in the next couple years at the rate he is going.

The rate he's going? Since our top line went down he had been on of our more consistent forwards. Respectfully disagree entirely.

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

The rate he's going? Since our top line went down he had been on of our more consistent forwards. Respectfully disagree entirely.

How do you figure that? I'm a Virtanen fan but he's hardly been noticable at all lately.

9 minutes ago, TU90 said:

How do you figure that? I'm a Virtanen fan but he's hardly been noticable at all lately.

If you are going with the old "what have you done for me lately" CDC mentality then sure, he hasn't been playing well the last 5 or so games. If you consider what I said and we're talking the last 2 months, then I would personally place him in our top 5 forwards since Bo went down.

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

If you are going with the old "what have you done for me lately" CDC mentality then sure, he hasn't been playing well the last 5 or so games. If you consider what I said and we're talking the last 2 months, then I would personally place him in our top 5 forwards since Bo went down.

But that's the issue with Jake, he disappears for weeks at a time. If he doesn't figure out consistency (and how to pass to another players tape), he's never going to be more than a 3rd or 4th line guy.

1 minute ago, TU90 said:

But that's the issue with Jake, he disappears for weeks at a time. If he doesn't figure out consistency (and how to pass to another players tape), he's never going to be more than a 3rd or 4th line guy.

He's 21 years old, and has improved his consistency a ton in the last 2 years. Duclair is a year older and has regressed. I'm not sure why this is an agrugment.

8 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

He's 21 years old, and has improved his consistency a ton in the last 2 years. Duclair is a year older and has regressed. I'm not sure why this is an agrugment.

He has shown improvement, his speed is unreal. I wish he really drove to the net, he usually always goes behind the net, tries to fling a pass out front or loses control of the puck.

Putting him with some more offensive players would help. When Sutter returns I would like to see a Eriksson/Granlund Sutter Virtanen line.

Jake's puck control and passing do need work, but that should come with experience and confidence. Leaving him with the twins or a better all around line for 5-10 games couldnt hurt. Remember when he was with Baer and Bo, that was fun to watch back in the day!

Duclair would be a decent add, but it blocks Goldy and Granny from a top 9 spot most likely. Unless Canucks are willing to move one of them in a trade

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Power forwards do take some time to transition, some faster than others. Jake had a mess up year last year that probably set him back a bit on his development curve, but his work in the off season and glimpses of what he can be from this season have shown me enough to keep working on this project. He is definitely inconsistent right now, but I am assuming he is working on his two way game that requires a certain fitness and not taking himself out of plays to throw a hit or take a penalty.

One of the more famous poward forwards around here is Todd Bertuzzi and he was dealt early by the Islanders and even after joining the Canucks, it took him a couple more seasons before he really took off. As long as Virtanen continues to show glimpses and as long as they slowly become more consistent, I'm sure he will be a player that you would never considering trading for Duclair.

Archived