The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Anthony Duclair requests trade

25 minutes ago, kloubek said:

What is this need for everyone to trade Baertschi or deem him as expendable?  I've never been huge on the guy just because everyone (myself included) was hoping him to be a 1st line winger.  But as a 2nd line winger I think he is just fine.  He's improved his defensive game, has chemistry with Horvat, and was on pace for 50 points this season.  I see him maxing out at around 60 points which is perfectly good for a 2nd liner.  It wouldn't hurt to have more grit in that position, but other than they I'm pretty comfortable with him sticking with us.  

If our prospects develop as I feel they will, it is possible we might be able to utilize one of them in the 2nd lw position.  If that is the case, I could see getting rid of Baertschi as part of a package to improve the offensive ability of our blueline.  Other than that, I really have little interest in getting rid of him.

Granlund, on the other hand, maybe.

I think he's here until one of Goldobin, Dahlen etc take his spot. Signing Kane this summer would also probably signal he's not bound to be here long term.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think he's here until one of Goldobin, Dahlen etc take his spot. Signing Kane this summer would also probably signal he's not bound to be here long term.

Agreed.  If we can replace his production with an even younger guy at a low pay, that gives us cap flexibility for the elite talent we need to bring in to make this team a contender.  But until then, I really don't want to get rid of him.  He was acting as our 1st line LW and we really don't have anyone to replace that production in the meantime.  It shows in our record since Horvat and Baertschi went down how important that production is.

14 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Baertschi provides 5 on 5 offense at a good price. Perfect 2nd line player IMO and still young. I like how he has upped is defensive play and hustle. 

Baertschi for Duclair would be a step backward imo

I do wonder what kind of term and contract Baetschi is looking for VS what the Canucks would be willing to offer. really would have like to have seen some rfa's had contract extensions by this point, maybe they are working behind the scenes tho?

If we do end up trading Vanek or Gudbranson and get picks in the 2nd-4th round range back. I would definitely consider moving that 2nd round pick for Duclair.

Cant have enough competition on a team like ours. Definitely puts heavy competition between Duclair, Goldobin, Granlund. Baertschi is probably in a class above them.

Let them duke it out and move 1 of them at the draft

39 minutes ago, Yotes said:

I do wonder what kind of term and contract Baetschi is looking for VS what the Canucks would be willing to offer. really would have like to have seen some rfa's had contract extensions by this point, maybe they are working behind the scenes tho?

That is really the key question.

Baertschi has had inflated numbers because he is getting lots of premium minutes.  He certainly isn’t the driving force for his line.  Kind of like Hansen and Burrows were good enough to take advantage of opportunities, but really weren’t first liners on their own.  That isn’t nothing, since lots of players aren’t able to do that... but more are than we give credit for.  Just look at Vegas who got to pick from everyone’s third lines.  These guys got the minutes suddenly and showed they can handle them.

Baertschi’s agent is going to say he is on our first line and should be paid accordingly.  The team shouldn’t be investing big money in a complementary 2nd line player.  He has been great for us because he is a good value.  If they want $4 million or more, then he is a bad value.  $2.5-3-5 and I would keep him for sure.

I would far rather save our cap space and go after the top UFAs for the next couple offseasons rather than use it up on a bunch of “decent” players.  You need the top players to win.

We can fill out our roster with a combination of young guys on ELCs and cheap veteran talent on value contracts like Vanek.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Agreed.  If we can replace his production with an even younger guy at a low pay, that gives us cap flexibility for the elite talent we need to bring in to make this team a contender.  But until then, I really don't want to get rid of him.  He was acting as our 1st line LW and we really don't have anyone to replace that production in the meantime.  It shows in our record since Horvat and Baertschi went down how important that production is.

It's actually a shame he's not already under contract for 1 more year. Any of Petterson, Dahlen, Goldobin etc could likely displace him (or at least be close enough) by next year's TDL and would have been a nice fit for moving him then without having worry about to re-upping him this summer.

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's actually a shame he's not already under contract for 1 more year. Any of Petterson, Dahlen, Goldobin etc could likely displace him (or at least be close enough) by next year's TDL and would have been a nice fit for moving him then without having worry about to re-upping him this summer.

I wouldn’t count Gadjovich out either as a possibility.

Barring getting Kane, he could fill the Patrick Maroon spot on a skilled top line or second line.

He is already physically mature enough, a hard summer of getting an extra step with his skating and he is a real possibility for the roster and even a top 6 role either this season or next.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I wouldn’t count Gadjovich out either as a possibility.

Barring getting Kane, he could fill the Patrick Maroon spot on a skilled top line or second line.

He is already physically mature enough, a hard summer of getting an extra step with his skating and he is a real possibility for the roster and even a top 6 role either this season or next.

He's certainly physically ready. I still think he'll need time to work on that skating (more than just one summer) and time to adjust to pro's. But nope, I would not be shocked to see him press for a job. I just think it's less likely than those other guys, that soon.

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's certainly physically ready. I still think he'll need time to work on that skating (more than just one summer) and time to adjust to pro's. But nope, I would not be shocked to see him press for a job. I just think it's less likely than those other guys, that soon.

I certainly don’t think he will be as good as the other guys as soon, just that he might get the Virtanen treatment because his skill set will be desperately lacking, especially if our top six forwards include Dahlen and Petterson.

Gadjovich will probably be given a lot more opportunity and may have to play himself out of a spot rather than play himself into one like the excess skill guys will.  He is going to get a ton of pre-season action next season and probably a few real games depending on who we sign.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find two of our top three LWwithin the next couple years being Kane and Gadjovich.

They seem like guys Benning would want and Green would play.

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find two of our top three LWwithin the next couple years being Kane and Gadjovich.

They seem like guys Benning would want and Green would play.

It would be nice if our forward group had a little more push back but I just don't know if I'm comfortable paying Kane $6.5-7M for 6-7 years. I hate handing out big contracts to these inconsistant players that have big free agent years. I'd rather pay Tavares $11M x 7. At least you know what you're going to get, year in, year out. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That is really the key question.

Baertschi has had inflated numbers because he is getting lots of premium minutes.  He certainly isn’t the driving force for his line.  Kind of like Hansen and Burrows were good enough to take advantage of opportunities, but really weren’t first liners on their own.  That isn’t nothing, since lots of players aren’t able to do that... but more are than we give credit for.  Just look at Vegas who got to pick from everyone’s third lines.  These guys got the minutes suddenly and showed they can handle them.

Baertschi’s agent is going to say he is on our first line and should be paid accordingly.  The team shouldn’t be investing big money in a complementary 2nd line player.  He has been great for us because he is a good value.  If they want $4 million or more, then he is a bad value.  $2.5-3-5 and I would keep him for sure.

I would far rather save our cap space and go after the top UFAs for the next couple offseasons rather than use it up on a bunch of “decent” players.  You need the top players to win.

We can fill out our roster with a combination of young guys on ELCs and cheap veteran talent on value contracts like Vanek.

Baertschi was given an opportunity and he has taken off with it. He's not putting up huge numbers but he's been improving over the years. He been put on other lines this season and has produced before getting injured. He's shown he can play defensively now and deal with the physical game also. I think 4 million is about spot on for a player like him that can help with the top line players but is a good second liner. You would pay him up to 3.5, but that extra 500k is too much wasted cap on a guy who has proven chemistry with the team? You would rather spend big bucks on the prized UFAs like Eriksson or Ladd? Top UFAs go for 6+ million and you're worried about 500k-1.5 million of supposed wasted cap. I can understand if your point to not sign him is because you want to save the cap for the upcoming youth contracts with their ELCs expiring, but even then, it won't be a huge concern for another few years (when Baertschi's new contract should expire or the cap going up making his cap low in the long run).

It must be so easy to be a GM, just sign all the best players for cheap and make every draft pick count and boom, you have a great team!

32 minutes ago, apollo said:

I got an idea 

Duclair + OEL 

For 

Tanev + Gaunce + 3rd? 

Who knows. But I like that direction. OEL would be a great fit here. I call twins talking over beers on a patio in Sweden this summer with OEL. Talking to him about how great it is here. OEL signs here after next year. I say wait till then. 

52 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It must be so easy to be a GM, just sign all the best players for cheap and make every draft pick count and boom, you have a great team!

What the heck are you on about?

My entire point was that we shouldn’t overpay for mediocre players, and save the cap space so we could afford the top ones.

Your position is that overpaying by $500k to $1.5 million is no big deal?  That is exactly what gets you into problems.  A few $4-5 million contracts for guys who are producing little better than cheap ELC or value veterans is EXACTLY what gets teams into cap trouble.

That extra few million, can be the difference in affording Tavares instead of having to settle for an Erickson. 

Just now, Provost said:

My entire point was that we shouldn’t overpay for mediocre players, and save the cap space so we could afford the top ones.

Your position is that overpaying by $500k to $1.5 million is no big deal?  That is exactly what gets you into problems.  A few $4-5 million contracts for guys who are producing little better than cheap ELC or value veterans is EXACTLY what gets teams into cap trouble.

That extra few million, can be the difference in affording Tavares instead of having to settle for an Erickson. 

Every year is the same thing come UFA time. All these big names coming up soon and they end up re-signing with their teams and all that is left is the Eriksson/Ladd types who get overpaid because they are the "top" UFAs. You honestly think Tavares will be available come free agency (see Stamkos)?

Baertschi is worth 4 million is today's market. Not every ELC will pan out to be a Boeser and do we dump him when his contract is up and looking for a big raise and replace him with another ELC since they are a dime a dozen? How easy is it to find these value veterans? They are gambles, you win some and you lose some. Value veterans are the scraps that no one really wants and some hopeful team hopes will find their legs. Even then, Vanek cost 2 million (if his season continues, he won't be signing back for 2 million again) and you wouldn't add 2 more million for a guy that is young, has chemistry with the team and has been trending up in the last few years? Players like Palat and Arvidsson are where Baertschi is trending to and they are making north of 4 million (5.3 and 4.25) and they seem to be on pretty damn good teams.

Keep penny pinching on the players here that are doing well and give it to unknowns. I'm sure that will work out just fine.

50 minutes ago, Provost said:

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Baertschi has had inflated numbers because he is getting lots of premium minutes.

Your point is full of it.

You make these unsubstantiated claims his numbers are "inflated" - and you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Baertschi had exactly 50% offensive zone starts last year - playing with Horvat - facing a steady dose of strong quality of competition - and for the most part on deleted rosters with limping bluelines in addition.   That you believe those conditions are plum for Baertschi to produce in is delusional.

You make it sound as if he's been sheltered - which is entirely false and misleading, as is the idea that it's somehow easy for a 'mediocre' player to produce in "premium minutes."   16 of 18 of his goals were even strength goals - with 5 game-winning goals.

Cool story though.

5 hours ago, rekker said:

Who knows. But I like that direction. OEL would be a great fit here. I call twins talking over beers on a patio in Sweden this summer with OEL. Talking to him about how great it is here. OEL signs here after next year. I say wait till then. 

I think OEL value is at an all time low right now. If we can bag him and Duclair for a reasonable price, I think we should make the move right now. 

Shouldn't be too difficult to re-sign him. Vancouver is the premier city for millionaires to live in... Especially if he has kids (not sure if he does or not) 

Loui and Edler will be here if he choses to go longterm... And hopefully fellow Swede Elias and possibly Dahlen. Swede goalies too. 

I hope the sedins will also be here Nd sign 1 more year. 

Maybe switch Tanev for Gudbranson? 

12 minutes ago, apollo said:

I think OEL value is at an all time low right now. If we can bag him and Duclair for a reasonable price, I think we should make the move right now. 

Shouldn't be too difficult to re-sign him. Vancouver is the premier city for millionaires to live in... Especially if he has kids (not sure if he does or not) 

Loui and Edler will be here if he choses to go longterm... And hopefully fellow Swede Elias and possibly Dahlen. Swede goalies too. 

I hope the sedins will also be here Nd sign 1 more year. 

Maybe switch Tanev for Gudbranson? 

I'm not convinced we can match what other teams would offer up for OEL. I would think Arizona would want a younger player than Tanev.

Archived