The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Anthony Duclair requests trade

10 hours ago, kloubek said:

What is this need for everyone to trade Baertschi or deem him as expendable?  I've never been huge on the guy just because everyone (myself included) was hoping him to be a 1st line winger.  But as a 2nd line winger I think he is just fine.  He's improved his defensive game, has chemistry with Horvat, and was on pace for 50 points this season.  I see him maxing out at around 60 points which is perfectly good for a 2nd liner.  It wouldn't hurt to have more grit in that position, but other than they I'm pretty comfortable with him sticking with us.  

If our prospects develop as I feel they will, it is possible we might be able to utilize one of them in the 2nd lw position.  If that is the case, I could see getting rid of Baertschi as part of a package to improve the offensive ability of our blueline.  Other than that, I really have little interest in getting rid of him.

Granlund, on the other hand, maybe - but his stock is pretty low.

For the simple fact he will likely haul in $4.5+ through arbitration based on points/game and his top line role etc....

For many reasons I've just never been sold on him dating back to watching him and Granlund in Abbotsford. Streaky perimeter player at best. That spot that Sven occupies on Horvat's wing is suited for someone with more moxy than what Sven provides. 

Not sayin Duclair will provide that but there are other prospects in the system who will. 

Duclair like many on that team could use a change of scenery. When He got to Arizona he sure had a good run scoring 20 which already bests what Baertschi has done and could make a case to even make Goldobin available.

THAT and Duclair is also 3 years younger than Baertschi and doesn't have arbitration rights. 

Sideways move sure but consider age, potential ceiling, contract status and cap stuff and it makes sense

51 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

For the simple fact he will likely haul in $4.5+ through arbitration based on points/game and his top line role etc....

For many reasons I've just never been sold on him dating back to watching him and Granlund in Abbotsford. Streaky perimeter player at best. That spot that Sven occupies on Horvat's wing is suited for someone with more moxy than what Sven provides. 

Not sayin Duclair will provide that but there are other prospects in the system who will. 

Duclair like many on that team could use a change of scenery. When He got to Arizona he sure had a good run scoring 20 which already bests what Baertschi has done and could make a case to even make Goldobin available.

THAT and Duclair is also 3 years younger than Baertschi and doesn't have arbitration rights. 

Sideways move sure but consider age, potential ceiling, contract status and cap stuff and it makes sense

Good points.

3 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Not sure where the 4.5+ comes from. He's had time with the top line this, but he also has been off the top line for several games, so I don't think that is going to be a big selling point. I mentioned Palat (5.3 million) and Arvidsson (4.25 milllion) earlier who would probably be used as comparables for points per game (plus age and size) at this point. Arvidsson put up 60 points before his contract and Palat has been about 50-60 points a year for 4 seasons prior to his contract. Baertschi is only on pace for 50 this year and likely won't hit that mark because of his injury, plus it doesn't help that he has missed game time the last 2 seasons as well. I doubt Baertschi will take the Canucks to arbitration if they offered a 3.5-4 million contract over 4 years.

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Not sure where the 4.5+ comes from. He's had time with the top line this, but he also has been off the top line for several games, so I don't think that is going to be a big selling point. I mentioned Palat (5.3 million) and Arvidsson (4.25 milllion) earlier who would probably be used as comparables for points per game (plus age and size) at this point. Arvidsson put up 60 points before his contract and Palat has been about 50-60 points a year for 4 seasons prior to his contract. Baertschi is only on pace for 50 this year and likely won't hit that mark because of his injury, plus it doesn't help that he has missed game time the last 2 seasons as well. I doubt Baertschi will take the Canucks to arbitration if they offered a 3.5-4 million contract over 4 years.

I completely agree with everything you say but my point and thus is my opinion (though it may respectfully dif ferry from yours) that I think we've all seen what Sven can do and this is basically his plateau. Hence why I'm not sold on him for even a 2nd line role. He has been called out by his coach and too many times he has disappeared for lengthy stretches including the current  one he WAS on before he started his diet of drinking his meals through a straw.

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I completely agree with everything you say but my point and thus is my opinion (though it may respectfully dif ferry from yours) that I think we've all seen what Sven can do and this is basically his plateau. Hence why I'm not sold on him for even a 2nd line role. He has been called out by his coach and too many times he has disappeared for lengthy stretches including the current  one he WAS on before he started his diet of drinking his meals through a straw.

Not disagreeing with any of your points, just mentioning 

57 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

A lot of players go through stretches without putting up points and that's probably why he's not considered a top line scorer. If this is his plateau, he's on pace for 50 points and has much improved his defensive and physical game since arriving here. That's basically a second liner. Maybe he's only a mid tier second liner, but he's shown he can step up into a top line role and be able to hold his own.

My point in the last post was the part where you suggested it's a fact that he will get a 4.5+ million contract when I highly doubtful it even if he took the Canucks to arbitration.

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Absolutely agree.  

Folks continue to make the assumption that production progresses in a linear fashion.  If he gets 40 points one season, it means 50 the next, and 60 the season after that.  Baertschi is a fine player and a decent asset.  He is a 2nd liner or maybe even a 3rd liner though.  In our organization, we have a bunch of those guys coming through the pipeline and can replace his production at a much lower cost while leaving roster spots open for young guys to compete for.  If none of the young guys are ready for that spot, there are always aging veterans looking for a cheap deal like Vanek.

No one knows quite what arbitration would be, but a price tag of between $4-5 million is just too rich for what I would be willing to pay and what he brings.  If you could bring in Duclair and a pick of some sort in return... then I would do that deal.  I would rather find a similar young D though in that deal, because we would most likely end up bringing a forward back in a Hutton/Gudbranson trade as not a lot of teams would want to trade a D for a D.

On the Arizona Coyotes …

Chris Nichols of Fan Rag Sports: Elliotte Friedman on Sportsnet 590 noted that teams have known for between six and eight weeks that Coyotes Anthony Duclair is available for trade.

“And I understand that Arizona’s price on him has not been very high. As a matter of fact, it’s really dropped since they first started making him available, and there just hasn’t been a lot of interest.”

Friedman adds that he’s a bit surprised at the lack of interest.

“One team I really thought might look at him is Calgary. Don Maloney was the guy who acquired him as GM of the Coyotes from the Rangers in the Keith Yandle deal. But I’ve heard that Calgary just hasn’t shown a lot of interest.”

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-teams-that-could-be-buyers-before-the-nhl-trade-deadline/2018/01/06/

sounds like a fairly cheap reclamation project. Sure we dont really have room for him especially when healthy. But that does give up yet again that healthy competition up front that we seemed to want to ice this year with our FA signings anyway.

I would go after duclair, ideally if we could send a roster player back or a prospect in our system

Gaunce & sautner?

I know Gaunce is responsible defensively but it moves out a roster player to help make room. I dont think it would be smart for the Canucks to send Goldy back to Utica.

Or better yet we move out vanek sooner and keep gaunce as the 4th line player that he is

16 hours ago, Nancouver said:

Duclair with 2 goals in last 2 games, I'd lowball them and see what happens 

dont think he can be had for super cheap. With Calgary trying to release or deal with Jagr in a professional way, once that is cleared up they could be interested.

Treliving was in Arizona when the dealt Yandle and got Duclair back.

I would think playoff teams, looking for scoring depth and a cheap contract will be interested in this kid

I just feel like this trade is right in JB’s alley. Bidding low on a young prospect with potential, who has the right age, mentality and play style that fits the team’s mould. Could be, if all goes well, a solid 2nd line tweener for the next 10 years. Throw a 3rd rounder and see if anything happens

Archived