The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Carey Price on the market?

rekker

11 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Anything from Eklund should be put in the armchair gm/proposal section.   

I want real news from real people.  

Not some mystical @sshat who makes up garbage as fast as his peanut will let him.  

Mystical asshat! Hahahahahaha!

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Dunn Dunn Dunn'ssssssssss ;)

I still can't pick a favorite between the two classic smoked meat joints. But man oh man, there is &^@#ing amazing grub all over the place in Montreal. 

Best food city in Canada IMO.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Quebec City is right up there as well, particularly in terms of haute cuisine.  But certainly the most diverse and tasty blue- and white-collar dining out there in Canada is definitely with Montreal.

Smoked Meat Pete's was also a gooder for me, but unfortunately I've only tried it once (because it's in the middle of nowhere).  I've heard Main Deli Steak House has "the best" smoked meat, but I've yet to try it.  It's literally a stone's throw away from Schwartz's.

I used to live in Montreal only a 10min walk from them. I personally couldn't say either was better than the other and believe that people saying the main is the best likely just don't like the tourist lineup at Schwartz's. I preferred Schwartz's, because when you go when it's quiet and get to sit at the counter, you get to chat to the workers and listen to their banter together. Also, a little tip for anyone that ever goes and doesn't want to wait in line, there's a takeout section attached that almost always doesn't have a line. 

Man, I miss that city. My wife and I still go there for vacation instead of Mexico or some other resort. 

50 minutes ago, rekker said:

Take out Sutter and add LE and maybe I think about it. Just not convinced you can win with a 10.5 goalie under the cap. 

In a rebuilding era with low salaries, a great goaltender like Price would have the same effect as Luongo coming in; the team would instantly be better. Only this time, the team is loaded with high speed kids who, with that extra confidence the goalie stops pucks, could pay off much sooner. Dahlen, Juolevi, Petterson, Demko; this team won't cost much for a while, another top 5 for this draft year is highly likely. Baertschi, Virtanen, Granlund, Stetcher and Pouliot will command modest raises. Vanek is off the books if not traded at the deadline. However, I like Vanek much more than Eriksson. Daniel and Henrik are off the books or re-signed for less for third line duty. 

BAERTSCHI - HORVAT - BOESER

DAHLEN - PETTERSON - VIRTANEN

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - VANEK

GAUNCE - DOWD - GAGNER

EDLER - STETCHER

DEL ZOTTO - TANEV

POULIOT - HUTTON

PRICE

DEMKO

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

In a rebuilding era with low salaries, a great goaltender like Price would have the same effect as Luongo coming in; the team would instantly be better. Only this time, the team is loaded with high speed kids who, with that extra confidence the goalie stops pucks, could pay off much sooner. Dahlen, Juolevi, Petterson, Demko; this team won't cost much for a while, another top 5 for this draft year is highly likely. Baertschi, Virtanen, Granlund, Stetcher and Pouliot will command modest raises. Vanek is off the books if not traded at the deadline. However, I like Vanek much more than Eriksson. Daniel and Henrik are off the books or re-signed for less for third line duty. 

BAERTSCHI - HORVAT - BOESER

DAHLEN - PETTERSON - VIRTANEN

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - VANEK

GAUNCE - DOWD - GAGNER

EDLER - STETCHER

DEL ZOTTO - TANEV

POULIOT - HUTTON

PRICE

DEMKO

Sorry man. Just can't do it. Would rather have Demko and save the cap space for a free agent D like OEL. 

21 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

He gave his team a chance to get into the playoffs. So many scorers haven't won a cup yet including our very own Canucks who when they were the greatest show on the ice, couldn't get the goaltending it needed to steal some games in the Finals (still pains me as I'm such a big Luongo/Schneirder fan). In 2015, Carey Price was the winner of the Ted Lindsay, Jennings, Vezina and Hart trophies, becoming the first goaltender in NHL history to win all four individual awards in the same season so clearly, was valued by so many people. That's a pretty insane achievement.

So, is that a no?

22 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I understand the offense is what is flashy and what is marketed. I have said that I do not think Price is worth his contract, that is not the point of my post. However, I think goalies don't get enough respect. The Canucks had an amazing team in the WCE era and we all know how that went, so I would say goaltending is very important part of winning a cup. Tampa hasn't won a cup with Vasilevskiy yet (although I'm rooting for them) and many goalies have had great regular seasons and falter in the playoffs. Of course, the goalie will take the brunt of the blame even if the offense runs dry too (or run into a hot goaltender). Price, at the time of signing his contract, was one of the best goalies in the league. Would I have offered the contract that he got? Definitely not, but they have a crazy GM and why wouldn't Price take that offer? No other goalie is getting that offer (and clearly people think no goalie is deserving of it).

Going by your logic:

Connor McDavid - 0 cups, starting next season making 12.5 million a year.

Alex Ovechkin - 0 cups, makes 10 million.

Are they worth it?

I went to a few games because I wanted to see Luongo. There were plenty of LUUUU chants, so I think they enjoyed watching him making highlight reel saves also. If fans only cared about the offense, then they might as well just remove goalies and play with empty nets, that will boost the offense for sure!

They sell the tickets, so yes, they are.

Luongo isn't making 10.5 million a year. He's right where he should be. I never had a problem with the number. My issue was with the term. 

On 1/5/2018 at 6:37 PM, rekker said:

Take out Sutter and add LE and maybe I think about it. Just not convinced you can win with a 10.5 goalie under the cap. 

We would have to add Lind or Gadjo to make it happen.  maybe a pick to boot. I wouldnt be opposed to bringing price on if they retained some cap.

Archived