The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Sweden vs. Canada | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2017 | 5:00 PM PT

6 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Unfortunately Petterson was fairly invisible tonight... which might have something to do with putting him with linemates he had no chemistry with. 

He was leaned on HARD and checked very aggressively/physically every time he touched the puck. Its the best and most obvious way to neutralize someone who weighs 160 pounds at this level. 

Felt like Foote was the unsung hero for Canada. Has AMAZING poise and a calming presence like no other. I did not see him make a single mistake or blunder throughout the entire tournament. I predict he has a very long and successful NHL career. Definition of a SOLID defensive defense men. The added bonus is he has offensive upside as well.  

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

We scored with 100 seconds left... how exactly did this disappoint? Maybe you just have unreal expectations. This isnt miracle or star wars.  Disney doesmt direct real life.

My bad. Confused the double negative. Ment to say that there has yet to be a gold medal game that disappoints.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

meh.  I think people are making way too much of it.

I remember Vietnam veterans throwing their war medals away.  They were theirs to throw away - they earned them - they didn't have to want them.

It was really not for anyone else to say how they should have felt about them.

Andersson is an 18 yr old whose team just lost their 6th straight gold medal game to Canada.  If Swedes want to feel embarrassed by his actions, that's their prerogative, but this has nothing to do with disrespecting Canada, and if a Canadian captain did that, he'd probably be promptly understood.

Easy for Canadians to sit back and judge their frustration - but no irony in that - at all - no one plays the "nothing but gold is good enough" song louder than Canadians.

I don't know why you used Vietnam vet's as a comparable about throwing away medals. They came back from a war not a game, lot's of them were destroyed mentally and horribly disfigured for the rest of their lives. They saw horror on the battlefield that is not even in the same universe as a hockey game.

37 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Love how Ray Ferraro , the guy who prides himself on being impartial , roasts Andersson because he hates losing. Shut the -up ray. Ferraro is the biggest moron there is IMO 

You dont think that if we lost and dube threw his silver into the crowd that ray wouldnt have said the exact same thing?

I'm a little confused about the whereabouts of the silver medal. After it was thrown away somebody got it back for him....

https://www.tsn.ca/must-see/video/must-see-andersson-throws-silver-medal-into-crowd~1297442

After the game in an interview he was making it sound like buddy still had it...

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/andersson-explains-why-he-threw-his-silver-medal-over-the-glass~1298245

Sorry Lias, can't act all cool and tough after crying, throwing away your suzy, having an adult retrieve it for you and then melting down.

In terms of pure sportsmanship it seems like him being a sore loser. But if this is the second time he's gotten silver, it's a little more understandable. 

I think if he kept it, then gave it away after the fact, it wouldn't even be a story. 

It's not so much what he did, but how he did it. You love it when a person wants to win that bad. But how we face adversity, and a loss is just as important. 

Isn't that what sports is supposed to teach us?

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

In terms of pure sportsmanship it seems like him being a sore loser. But if this is the second time he's gotten silver, it's a little more understandable. 

I think if he kept it, then gave it away after the fact, it wouldn't even be a story. 

It's not so much what he did, but how he did it. You love it when a person wants to win that bad. But how we face adversity, and a loss is just as important. 

Isn't that what sports is supposed to teach us?

if i won a silver medal, i'ld be so excited, i'ld run right out and have it bronzed. such a keep sake.

Swedish captain tosses silver medal into stands after WJHC loss to Canada

By John Chidley-Hill The Canadian Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Lias Andersson was so frustrated with Sweden’s second-place finish at the world junior hockey championship that he threw his silver medal into the crowd.

Andersson had six goals and an assist at the tournament but was held off the scoresheet in Canada’s 3-1 win over Sweden on Friday in the world juniors finale. Even after a Swedish official got the medal back from a fan the team captain said to give it away.

“I don’t want it,” said Andersson. “The guy in the stands wanted it more than me, so I gave it to him. I’m just going to have it home in some box or whatever so he wanted it more than me.”

The fan, wearing a Rochester Americans jersey, put the medal around his neck and showed it off to his neighbours sitting near the Swedish bench at KeyBank Center, home of the NHL’s Buffalo Sabres. A fan sitting higher up in the section came down and loaned a Sweden jersey to the fan to complete the look.

Andersson also lost in the finale of the Ivan Hlinka tournament and the world under-18 championship in 2015-16. Since he said he has no use for those medals, he saw no need to add to his collection.

“I have a silver medal from the U-18 Worlds and I haven’t checked it in two years since I lost last time so I won’t regret it,” said Andersson.

The New York Rangers prospect has been a fixture of Sweden’s development teams over the past four years and was disappointed that he and his teammates were being sent home with another second-place medal.

“We feel sorry for the group, the Swedish people,” said Andersson. “I think we deserved this, it’s a great tournament. We lost the final in U-18 Worlds, we lost the final in Ivan Hlinka. We lost the semis in the Under-17 so this group has been through a lot and this was kind of our last chance so this sucks.”

© 2018 The Canadian Press.

Some further  insight of Andersson's medal toss. It's really not a big controversy. He has every right to toss it. None of us will understand what it's like to lose a game at that level

I'm not going to bother criticizing Andersson. I've won and lost some big games in my lifetime, but nothing with the importance of a WJC. I don't think any of us can understand what it means to come that close only to lose. (Especially when you consider, if I'm being honest, that the Swedes were actually the better team based on the run of play)

Happy for the win, but Canada certainly got the breaks. It was great to see Steenbergen finally get his goal, but the pass by Timmins was Sedin-like. Great vision and great execution to put that on the tape.

I didn't bother to read through the entire thread, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who isn't sold on Hart. Positionally, I think he's a solid 'keeper. Almost always seems to be square to the shooter, but I thought his rebound control was poor all tournament and he often over committed to the shooter, leaving himself no chance to recover if the opposing player decided to pass instead.

He seems to have the reflexes, so I think a good goalie coach can fix some of these issues, but I don't necessarily agree with all of the praise heaped on him by the TSN crew.

4 hours ago, ice orca said:

I don't know why you used Vietnam vet's as a comparable about throwing away medals.

it's not an equation of war to sport - don't be petty and attempt to make it that.

it's an entirely similar act - plain and simple.

the act of throwing the medal away is all - throwing away something that is one's own, that was earned, but that isn't necessarily embraced at the time.

this 18 yr old is a future millionaire, very gifted and blessed with talent - isn't going to war - the background contexts are not comparable - that is obvious and goes without saying.

but some people were even up in arms when vets threw their medals away.  not for anyone else to decide how they should feel about it.

I think people should let it go and not make more of it than it was - a young guy understandably upset that didn't care for the consolation medal in that moment.

Way different stage but when I was younger but did a similar thing as Lias after losing in a Fraser Valley rugby final - tossed my silver medal before getting on the bus.

I get it - not the most stoic moment - but as a great coach once said, 2nd place is just the 1st loser.  

Don’t kid yourselves that rejecting 2nd isn’t bred into our athletes at a young age.

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Omg

Thank you!  Even my wife was questioning a few of those calls against Sweden.

I seen at the very least 3 none calls that would have given the Swedes a power play the last call against that gave Canada a power play wasn’t even a penalty.

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

it's not an equation of war to sport - don't be petty and attempt to make it that.

it's an entirely similar act - plain and simple.

the act of throwing the medal away is all - throwing away something that is one's own, that was earned, but that isn't necessarily embraced at the time.

this 18 yr old is a future millionaire, very gifted and blessed with talent - isn't going to war - the background contexts are not comparable - that is obvious and goes without saying.

but some people were even up in arms when vets threw their medals away.  not for anyone else to decide how they should feel about it.

I think people should let it go and not make more of it than it was - a young guy understandably upset that didn't care for the consolation medal in that moment.

Too many offended people these days it’s like no one has any stones it’s getting to be a world for the whiners that can’t mind their own business and I agree 100% it’s his to do as he please he wants to toss it than it’s his right to do so!

3 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Too many offended people these days it’s like no one has any stones it’s getting to be a world for the whiners that can’t mind their own business and I agree 100% it’s his to do as he please he wants to toss it than it’s his right to do so!

I feel the same way - even moreso - about people that throw their jerseys away.

It's their gd right to throw away something they paid - likely $200ish -  for. 

It aint 'sacred.'  It's a gd piece of merchandise, a commodity - that they themselves own.  If they want to dispose of it in disgust at their team - that they're financially supporting by buying tickets and merchandise - that's their right.  Just don't throw it on the ice while play is in progress.   It's essentially the equivalent - with reversed intentions / message - of throwing a hat on the ice to celebrate an accomplishment.  Somehow everyone is supposed to conform to the tyranny of the positive - and can't make a statement of 'protest'.  Bollocks.

Listening to people stage morality plays about how 'disrespectful' it is to discard a jersey....is absurd imo.

I may or may not agree with their perspective regarding their team - but that is irrelevent - it's their jersey - if they want to throw it away, that's their prerogative.

Archived