The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

I was at last night's game and I think alot of 'fans' on here are overly critical of the teams performance when we know they are a team in transition, they are missing 2 of their top 3 centers, a top 6 winger, played a team stacked with offensive talent and made them look like the NJ Devils of 5 years ago.

Firstly, those beating on Edler, he actually had a monster of a game quietly, what was it, 8 blocked shots and 5 hits (or vice versa)?. People blaming him for a football hail mary pass that Bozak picked out of the air by fluke, has it land perfectly flat and he gets a juicy rebound are on crack,  how is that his fault? Where should Edler have been standing before that pass? At his own right circle when the play was in the Toronto end? really? Look, I am not a huge Edler fan, I actually think he should be moved to somewhere like Ottawa where he can play a quiet number 2 but he doesn't deserve this nonsense from fans repeatedly.

If you watched how he played with Karlsson in the worlds (a real number 1), you'd see that he is just being forced to play a role (as many canucks are now) over his head, and has had to his whole career. He is a number 2 dman, that's all. That being said, did anyone notice anything dazzling from Matthews last night? Or Marner? not much right? Well who had those matchups? Especially when Tanev went down? People are overly simplistic in their assessments and often just want to 'blame' someone, and it seems that's usually Edler. At the same time, people who complain about losses are also saying, "man we need Dahlin!" lol....absurd. Edler played very well given the circumstances and who he has to match up with every night - criticisms here of his game are unwarranted, he is a number 2 not a number 1, and not a PP QB - he is forced into those roles and has been his whole career given a lack of alternative for the Canucks.

Thought Brock was outstanding, played a real hard 200 ft game, Vanek played well again as well, Stech was working hard, and I have a feeling we may see a Guddy trade to Toronto that includes Travis Dermot coming back. I read the ENTIRE Canucks scouting staff was at the game (perhaps bc world juniors in Buf and timing but...it is odd Dermott got called up for that game). From his play the last few games It seems Guddy is 'trying not to get injured so he can max his FA value' - haven't seen the same truculance we saw at the start of the season from him. He certainly isn't playing like someone who wants to stay and as such, guessing a trade is coming there. Losing Tryamkin has really hurt this team imho, hopefully the Nucks find a way to get him back a year early.

Virtanen and Goldy seem tentative to me, they are playing like they are scared to make a mistake and are so focused on doing what the coaches have told them to focus on in film, that they are not taking any offensive chances and thus limiting their effectiveness. I am bothered only that I think Virtanen could give more physically, I don't see him moving his legs enough (often enough) and throwing his weight around. Certainly you don't want to run around and get out of position but he' not using one of his key assets enough - again this may be because he's 'thinking' too much' vs playing the game. Hopefully, as they get more comfortable with their positioning and defensive expectations we start seeing them both starting to 'create' vs wait for others to do so. This I think, is more learning and confidence so lets hope Green lets off the leash a bit and allows them to make some errors and learn and give them some more offensive freedom (but that's also earned  -chicken and egg).

The good:

Brock

Vanek

Stech

Gaunce (while he's not scoring, I see what green loves about him, plays in the dirty areas, was actually very physical last night, has improved his foot speed immensely, he's going to be a solid shut down player for us for many years, he is starting to utilize his size, and it was noticeable, he was trying to make a difference)

Chaput (played hard and heavy in limited time)

Granlund
Edler - yes Edler

Dowd - played hard and really just a 4th liner

Tanev till he got hurt.

The average

Erickson - excellent defensively but he seems almost resigned to not scoring - not sure if he was ever a 'driver' of play in Boston but he doesn't seem to 'want the offensive side bad enough'- living up to his contract is weighing on him i think. Do we pay his salary? no so do i care what he is paid? no, he is a solid vet who plays hard and perhaps the loss of sutter is effecting him -but I would like to see him try to 'drive' more offense- especially given he's so good defensively

Del Zotto - wasn't bad but needed more from him

Pouliot - not bad not great

Gudbranson -threw a few hits but not noticeable

Gagner - scored but felt he's looking better because of Brock and Vanek but he's doing ok now and with Bo and Sutter out played a decent game

Markstrom - alot giving him heat for the 'bad goal' which was thankfully called back and deservedly so, but he had a solid game otherwise and held them in it. His rebound to Bozak was really the only big error. That being said, he's letting in a softy a game, and if we can see it, his teammates can, and that goal, even though called back gets in the heads of his teammates (especially right now). Our goalies simply HAVE to play better than they are. They cannot let in softies and expect to win

The bad

Sedins - didn't drive any play and we needed them to last night

Virtanen- arguably could have put him in the average bucket, but as a fan I want to see more from him, his speed and physicality can be a game changer even if he's not putting up points, and I just didn't see him 'do anything' other than one shot off the post- he's got to start trying to be a difference maker vs just trying to be on the team imho

Goldobin -  similar to virtanen, need to see him 'want it more' - reminds me a bit of Bearschi prior to Baer turning that corner and learning to dig and compete hard

spot on about JV

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Given the circumstances with injuries once again I thought we looked the better team AND when our injured players return we will not be too far short of being a contender.

I felt sorry for Goldobin, is he really a good fit with the Sedins? I just don't see it. Why are we not playing Granlund there where he was so successful last season?

Dowd's best game so far in a Canuck's jersey.

Brock continues to show there is more and more in his game.

Stecher is back but he needs to calm down and remember astute coaches/teams notice Ds who continually pinch. Actually I was surprised when the commentator even mentioned it in the first period that we continued to leave gaps Toronto were trying to exploit with long stretch passes. They must have tried at least 5 times to find a forward on the break.

I've lost count now of the number of times I have come on here after a loss saying we should have got the win. Good times ahead.

I was so wrong about the Sedins when I thought their point total was from lack of defensive point production. They have hurt the Canucks because management kept thinking they are just one player from dominating again. Watching the power play they flood the ice to the Sedin side and it end s because Daniel and Henrik keep passing back and forth. Sadly they are no longer 1st power play material. Too predictable. Looked like a 3 on 4 with brock skating behind Edler covering for him. Toronto gave the Back door to Brock all night, And they kept channeling it to the covered side.

9 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Yeh Matthews is a point per game player. So far Boser is a point per game player. Matthews second season. Boeser is a rookie. Me thinking if you get a point per game and another player gets a point per game the end result is the same . besides we are starting to see Boeser open up and skate more, not as slow as some think. Just hangs back because he can score from places Matthews could just dream about. And in play-off hockey when its tight Boeser can rip one from a distance that will open up many times a game. Where Matthews will be held back. Kharma has served the Canucks well. Boeser, Petterson, . Petterson could just be the best player in his draft year. Has potential to not just be a good player but is a complete player like I have not seen since Mario Lemieux. Rookies with speed come in blazing fire, but then they need to learn to slow down a bit if they want to stay healthy. Watched Edmonton twice last week and McDavid is already not going to areas that made him unstoppable. I call that the Edmonton losing tradition creeping in.  

watched Pettersson closely during WJC; he really plays his position and can snipe; however, I noticed that when the chips are down, he ups his intensity and has the skill to be very dangerous in small areas, especially in the slot and coming out of the corners with the puck.

One thing I hope this year is that the coaches start cutting bait on the playoffs sooner and let the young guys develop more by giving them more ice time in critical situations (example., play JV in OT) and let them create in order to get some confidence with their abilities and their game.

The #1 reason Boeser is playing great is that he has a ton of confidence in his ability, which allows him to play his game.

Can see a lot of ability in JV...all he needs to do is understand his strengths and then get a ton of confidence with those strengths and go play his game. I think TG is trying to make JV understand his strengths but the downfall is that he isn't given enough leash (TOI) to work through it and figure out what his strengths are to gain confidence in order to play his game.

It will be hard watching the Sedins, LE and Gagner play out the games while the young guys sit and watch. Also, would be good to see the lines being matched up with the future players (for example JV, Granlund and Goldy or with Sutter, Bo and Baer); We know whoever Boeser plays with will be the top line and Vanek looks good with Boeser...possibly play Bo or Sutter between them.

Cut bait on the playoffs and develop the young guys as soon as the writing is on the wall.

16 hours ago, cory40 said:

I've never seen a power play try so hard to keep the puck from their best shooter. Time for The old boys club to go. I feel like they want to score and show they can do it with out Boeser. Time to retire boys. 

this

1 hour ago, BoeserSnipe said:

I was at last night's game and I think alot of 'fans' on here are overly critical of the teams performance when we know they are a team in transition, they are missing 2 of their top 3 centers, a top 6 winger, played a team stacked with offensive talent and made them look like the NJ Devils of 5 years ago.

Firstly, those beating on Edler, he actually had a monster of a game quietly, what was it, 8 blocked shots and 5 hits (or vice versa)?. People blaming him for a football hail mary pass that Bozak picked out of the air by fluke, has it land perfectly flat and he gets a juicy rebound are on crack,  how is that his fault? Where should Edler have been standing before that pass? At his own right circle when the play was in the Toronto end? really? Look, I am not a huge Edler fan, I actually think he should be moved to somewhere like Ottawa where he can play a quiet number 2 but he doesn't deserve this nonsense from fans repeatedly.

If you watched how he played with Karlsson in the worlds (a real number 1), you'd see that he is just being forced to play a role (as many canucks are now) over his head, and has had to his whole career. He is a number 2 dman, that's all. That being said, did anyone notice anything dazzling from Matthews last night? Or Marner? not much right? Well who had those matchups? Especially when Tanev went down? People are overly simplistic in their assessments and often just want to 'blame' someone, and it seems that's usually Edler. At the same time, people who complain about losses are also saying, "man we need Dahlin!" lol....absurd. Edler played very well given the circumstances and who he has to match up with every night - criticisms here of his game are unwarranted, he is a number 2 not a number 1, and not a PP QB - he is forced into those roles and has been his whole career given a lack of alternative for the Canucks.

Thought Brock was outstanding, played a real hard 200 ft game, Vanek played well again as well, Stech was working hard, and I have a feeling we may see a Guddy trade to Toronto that includes Travis Dermot coming back. I read the ENTIRE Canucks scouting staff was at the game (perhaps bc world juniors in Buf and timing but...it is odd Dermott got called up for that game). From his play the last few games It seems Guddy is 'trying not to get injured so he can max his FA value' - haven't seen the same truculance we saw at the start of the season from him. He certainly isn't playing like someone who wants to stay and as such, guessing a trade is coming there. Losing Tryamkin has really hurt this team imho, hopefully the Nucks find a way to get him back a year early.

Virtanen and Goldy seem tentative to me, they are playing like they are scared to make a mistake and are so focused on doing what the coaches have told them to focus on in film, that they are not taking any offensive chances and thus limiting their effectiveness. I am bothered only that I think Virtanen could give more physically, I don't see him moving his legs enough (often enough) and throwing his weight around. Certainly you don't want to run around and get out of position but he' not using one of his key assets enough - again this may be because he's 'thinking' too much' vs playing the game. Hopefully, as they get more comfortable with their positioning and defensive expectations we start seeing them both starting to 'create' vs wait for others to do so. This I think, is more learning and confidence so lets hope Green lets off the leash a bit and allows them to make some errors and learn and give them some more offensive freedom (but that's also earned  -chicken and egg).

The good:

Brock

Vanek

Stech

Gaunce (while he's not scoring, I see what green loves about him, plays in the dirty areas, was actually very physical last night, has improved his foot speed immensely, he's going to be a solid shut down player for us for many years, he is starting to utilize his size, and it was noticeable, he was trying to make a difference)

Granlund
Edler - yes Edler

Tanev till he got hurt.

The average

Erickson - excellent defensively but he seems almost resigned to not scoring - not sure if he was ever a 'driver' of play in Boston but he doesn't seem to 'want the offensive side bad enough'- living up to his contract is weighing on him i think. Do we pay his salary? no so do i care what he is paid? no, he is a solid vet who plays hard and perhaps the loss of sutter is effecting him -but I would like to see him try to 'drive' more offense- especially given he's so good defensively

Gagner - scored but felt he's looking better because of Brock and Vanek but he's doing ok now and with Bo and Sutter out played a decent game

Markstrom - alot giving him heat for the 'bad goal' which was thankfully called back and deservedly so, but he had a solid game otherwise and held them in it. His rebound to Bozak was really the only big error. That being said, he's letting in a softy a game, and if we can see it, his teammates can, and that goal, even though called back gets in the heads of his teammates (especially right now). Our goalies simply HAVE to play better than they are. They cannot let in softies and expect to win

The bad

Virtanen- arguably could have put him in the average bucket, but as a fan I want to see more from him, his speed and physicality can be a game changer even if he's not putting up points, and I just didn't see him 'do anything' other than one shot off the post- he's got to start trying to be a difference maker vs just trying to be on the team imho

Goldobin -  similar to virtanen, need to see him 'want it more' - reminds me a bit of Bearschi prior to Baer turning that corner and learning to dig and compete hard

That pass came up to's left side which is our right side. Stecher got caught watching the play and let Bozak past him. Edler had to try to angle Bozak off all the way from the other side of the ice. He took the path to the net away so Bozak had to shoot. The rebound came right back to Bozak and he scored. Not Edler's fault in any way.

What I found most impressive about Edler's game last night was his minute and a half shift on the PK in OT. This after already putting in over 28 minutes in regulation. People who can't even notice let alone appreciate something like that obviously have a bias which blinds them to his solid play.

1 hour ago, CanucksCulprit said:

link?

I tried YouTube.

may not be up yet.

basically ranting on the ducks - mainly corey perry.  I mean we all know and love corey perry but when an analyst calls out corey perry but gargles tkachuck you know that analyst is an idiot.

2 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

The good:

Brock

Vanek

Stech

Granlund
Edler - yes Edler

Tanev till he got hurt.

The average

The bad

Really appreciate your analysis of Edler. I completely agree that he was good last night.

3 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Because I sort of missed it, what was the deal? If Brock scored x number of goals Apricot owed a bunch of people jerseys??

I think it's only for the people on a particular thread at the time the bet was made. Something like that.

1 minute ago, Edler'sBrokenStick said:

Really appreciate your analysis of Edler. I completely agree that he was good last night.

Alot of people dont consider the following when complaining about him

- He's really a number 2 being forced to play #1

- He faces every teams best players night in night out and generally with a journeyman partner

- Guy is logging 20+ minutes a night, hit 28 last night

- He is not Drew Doughty or Shea Weber

If we was partnered with one of those guys or as we saw in the worlds with Karlsson and could play a stay at home simple game, look how amazing he was. He's being and has been forced to play above his level for his entire career and then people complain, oh he's not a number 1! No shyte! But someone has to take those minutes, shall we play Hutton as our number 1? LOL

People just don't 'think' much

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

Yeh Matthews is a point per game player. So far Boser is a point per game player. Matthews second season. Boeser is a rookie. Me thinking if you get a point per game and another player gets a point per game the end result is the same . besides we are starting to see Boeser open up and skate more, not as slow as some think. Just hangs back because he can score from places Matthews could just dream about. And in play-off hockey when its tight Boeser can rip one from a distance that will open up many times a game. Where Matthews will be held back. Kharma has served the Canucks well. Boeser, Petterson, . Petterson could just be the best player in his draft year. Has potential to not just be a good player but is a complete player like I have not seen since Mario Lemieux. Rookies with speed come in blazing fire, but then they need to learn to slow down a bit if they want to stay healthy. Watched Edmonton twice last week and McDavid is already not going to areas that made him unstoppable. I call that the Edmonton losing tradition creeping in.  

Wait a sec... did you just compare Petterson to Mario Lemieux?

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

I was so wrong about the Sedins when I thought their point total was from lack of defensive point production. They have hurt the Canucks because management kept thinking they are just one player from dominating again. Watching the power play they flood the ice to the Sedin side and it end s because Daniel and Henrik keep passing back and forth. Sadly they are no longer 1st power play material. Too predictable. Looked like a 3 on 4 with brock skating behind Edler covering for him. Toronto gave the Back door to Brock all night, And they kept channeling it to the covered side.

Heard on the radio yesterday, that Henrik hasn’t scored a PP goal for something like 110 games.  

27 minutes ago, Edler'sBrokenStick said:

Saw a nice Boeser Jersey in Tsawwassen Mills.  279 Bones. Apricot gonna needto take out a Mortgage.

Yeah. I was in their yesterday with the wife and kids. The young guy in there (who says he looks like Tyler Tafoli) said they are $311 with tax plus 2 free tickets to the Nux vs Avs on Jan 30th. I told him I already got my free Adidas season ticket jersey and just need Boeser crested on it. Fyi...Pro Hockey Life in Tsawassen Mills does the stiched kits for $60 compared to $120 through the Canucks store. That Canucks team store at Tsawassen Mills is closing this Friday and they are moving all their inventory to the arena store. Woukd explain why everything is half price.

Archived