The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don Cherry's trade [proposal] last night

I find it laughable that people here are comparing numbers, D-man vs Forward. First you can't do that, very unfair to the D-man, second a player value is different, from many stand points. Marners metrics don't even touch that of Tanev's. But they do well against Guddy. But what as a coach and GM do you value more. The goal scorer or the shut down D-man. In Guddy you receive a fierce competitor, and a solid wall. Tanev shut's down the lanes and block's shots as well has the ability to move the puck. Marner is all about offence, and Brown brings 3rd line grit.

My thought is as follow's , TO needs Tanev not Guddy, they have Martin for toughness.

And Tanev bring's Marner straight across.

Guddy may get you Brown.

Remember this trade is about needs, not necessarily about futures. this is an old fashioned hockey deal.

17 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Marner has 91 points in 120 career games and has 30 in 43 this season despite seeing 4th line duties for a bit.  Not sure what expectations he’s not living up to.  

Marner has been in the dog house multiple times this season, maybe he's locker room cancer so his value is low? 

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Forget about the Leafs.  NYI have two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders and are desperate for a dman.  Guddy has proven to be very good in POs.  Package him (or Tanev) with whomever and get that extra 1st!

I know I might get some flack for this but trade them both. Trade Gudbranson to Toronto for Dermott and a 2nd then trade Tanev to NYI for Calgary 1rst and Ho Sang or Bellows. Then send a late pick to Florida for Petrovic.

9 hours ago, BO_Scorvat said:

Marner has been in the dog house multiple times this season, maybe he's locker room cancer so his value is low? 

Or maybe he’s a 20 year old second year player that is still developing  professionally and needed a reminder that Ice time is earned. Not gifted.  Regardless. He would still be 2nd in scoring on Vancouver despite seeing 4th line duties at times this season.  He’s 2 years removed from being the 4th overall pick and he’s producing significant numbers in the nhl.  His value isn’t low. 

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I know I might get some flack for this but trade them both. Trade Gudbranson to Toronto for Dermott and a 2nd then trade Tanev to NYI for Calgary 1rst and Ho Sang or Bellows. Then send a late pick to Florida for Petrovic.

Not too big on the TO trade as I think there will be more interest in Guddy as we head towards TDL.  There seems to be a few teams that will be on the desperate side to get into the POs or do well in them.  Problem is, that if JB wants to trade him, he's got to act fast, before the interest dies down.

I don't know if Tanev gets a 1st from the Islanders.  His injury record is looking really bad and now he has another one.  Might have to add to that one.

I like the Petrovic trade.  The team would be very sparse on the right side D.  Stech, Biega, (Petrovic) and Pouliot (he can play rd).  I suspect that JB can pick up a very good RD in the upcoming draft who would not be too far off from joining the team.  Having to 1st rounders would be fantastic for this team going forward.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:59 PM, -AJ- said:

A Marner deal would be a massive amount going back. Marner has far far more value than Guddy. Brown is probably closer and might work 1 for 1, but we might have to add a bit.

What makes you so sure about that?

Adam Larsson commanded Taylor Hall....and Larsson isn't exactly anything to be overly excited about but Hall just keeps on being an offensive star. The laughable thing I heard from Dreger on the radio was the notion that Hall was going to be traded for Cody Ceci straight up before they chose Larsson instead.

For a team that is going to finish in the low teens, 13 or 14th, in the standings moving a 1rst rounder is not that unreasonable.

While I believe Tanev could get that, I think Guddy would need and add on, a 3rd rounder in next years draft.

If TO, then Guddy - Brown, if Tanev - Brown +, depending upon whether the team needs to take back cap space in either deal.

Marner is a very high end player; quite likely elite. He just needs to put his game together consistently, and I believe he will.  If there was ANY way we snag him then I say we do so.  He can center the top line and Pettersson ends up playing LW.  Pettersson Marner Boeser would be a scoring machine.  Gudbranson + Goldobin + Brassard + 4th for Marner and Komorov?

But if that can't be done, going after Kapinen seems like a good idea, and almost fits better for us considering Pettersson is entirely capable of playing center so we lose some of his talents by moving him to wing.  Obviously, Kapinen would come cheaper too.

I'm not really sure if there is enough worth in Gudbranson, considering he's UFA.  Maybe this would be more of a conditional trade thing...

On 1/7/2018 at 1:30 AM, D-Money said:

You obviously have no idea how good Brown is, and/or how much Hansen has regressed in the past couple of years.

We're not getting Marner, or Brown. But should a trade happen, I bet his comments will make casual Leafs fans happy with the pick+prospect deal that it ends up as.

Nope, I watched Brown play when Fox was in junior.

I'm not saying he's a bad player.

I'm just saying Gudbranson's presence alone is worth more than trading for another forward that may or may not fit in our future plans.

Archived