The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oprah Winfrey For President?

DonLever

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

I feel like the US presidency has turned into some sort of reality show. So much for "professional governments"?....

EDIT: Not saying Oprah's not professional btw, just about the overall vibe lately. Really, anyone's better than who they have now.

Winfrey is another political novice. I feel like whoever follows Trump will need to be experienced especially in foreign affairs to repair the bridges that have been burned to the ground. The next POTUS will probably have to go on an apology tour.

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

Winfrey is another political novice. I feel like whoever follows Trump will need to be experienced especially in foreign affairs to repair the bridges that have been burned to the ground. The next POTUS will probably have to go on an apology tour.

It will take a Canadian to do that.

13 hours ago, Green Building said:

Yes, but merely flipping Trump for someone with as little political knowledge as he has but with morals might not be effective either. Better, but how much...

hard to say... political experience would be nice, but if not at least she (from what we know now anyway) isn't a weirdo and its hard to not admire what she accomplished. 

I think the challenge for her would be the claims of the 'lefty media agenda takeover deep state' by the angry nub of khaki wearing losers and how disruptive that might be in the Republican party, the moderates in there seem to have lost their spines. 

I will put in my opinion on this subject for what little it's worth:

From what I have seen of Oprah Winfrey, she is someone who cares about people, and I believe truly cares. This is a large part of what made her so successful in her business endeavours IMO.

We have to remember she literally started out from nothing. I recall that it was noted that she used to have to wear potato sacks as dresses. 

That sort of experience can make someone bitter and self destructive and do things that people who never went through that can point at and say "that's a terrible person." (Drugs, violence, crime etc.) Which is the path her half-sister went down. 

For a small number of others that can make a person become a better person, an empathic person who realizes how terrible poverty and life for some can be. Is it not the job of a public servant to make life better for those they serve? She has consistently shown that she aspires to do exactly that as much as possible.

I do believe the best qualification for leaders is first being leaders of the heart. I have not seen too much of that in politics in my lifetime, perhaps none. It seems like most of the leaders who led out of love and compassion for others, were either killed off or forced out of politics altogether by shady forces. People like Abraham Lincoln, JFK, RFK and Henry A. Wallace. 

IMO leaders should almost be like parents and the best parents I have witnessed aren't those that had the most money or the most experience in being one, but rather those who do it out of love and caring. When decisions are made from a place of caring, rather than fear or greed, they are often the right decisions.

So if by some astronomically small chance she actually became POTUS, I believe the world would be better for it. 

15 hours ago, DonLever said:

So what do you guys think?  Can't be worse than the current President.

Want to bet on that?    Depends on what issue you are talking about.    My guess is she could crash and burn in many areas.   Would be a great PR person though and I am sure, like with Obama, lots of high expectations but few would be met (like Obama) but I guess more people would get cars ("...hey Texas, sorry that I shut down all your industries but, hey, here is a new car!" says President Winfrey who makes the announcement with VP Rosie O'Donnell in tow).

How about in Canada and the US people get back to voting for people that are not Hillary, the Donald or any other manufactured piece of fluff and look to actual leaders who have accomplished something in life versus trust fund privilege (Canada), real estate luck (Trump), public  fleecing (Clinton) and the like.   

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats the signal Harv, when they say they won't run that means they're going to run for sure. 

Oprah's life is way too comfortable.  She has seen how the left has gone after Trump.  I highly doubt she wants to put herself through a similar ordeal with people on the right going after her on a daily basis.  Although she will have the advantage of the media being totally in her corner, so that might ease the attacks on her.  But I would say she doesn't run.

2 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Oprah's life is way too comfortable.  She has seen how the left has gone after Trump.  I highly doubt she wants to put herself through a similar ordeal with people on the right going after her on a daily basis.  Although she will have the advantage of the media being totally in her corner, so that might ease the attacks on her.  But I would say she doesn't run.

https://www.npr.org/2017/01/20/510680463/donald-trumps-been-saying-the-same-thing-for-30-years

Just gonna leave that there

5 hours ago, Aladeen said:

I will put in my opinion on this subject for what little it's worth:

From what I have seen of Oprah Winfrey, she is someone who cares about people, and I believe truly cares. This is a large part of what made her so successful in her business endeavours IMO.

We have to remember she literally started out from nothing. I recall that it was noted that she used to have to wear potato sacks as dresses. 

That sort of experience can make someone bitter and self destructive and do things that people who never went through that can point at and say "that's a terrible person." (Drugs, violence, crime etc.) Which is the path her half-sister went down. 

For a small number of others that can make a person become a better person, an empathic person who realizes how terrible poverty and life for some can be. Is it not the job of a public servant to make life better for those they serve? She has consistently shown that she aspires to do exactly that as much as possible.

I do believe the best qualification for leaders is first being leaders of the heart. I have not seen too much of that in politics in my lifetime, perhaps none. It seems like most of the leaders who led out of love and compassion for others, were either killed off or forced out of politics altogether by shady forces. People like Abraham Lincoln, JFK, RFK and Henry A. Wallace. 

IMO leaders should almost be like parents and the best parents I have witnessed aren't those that had the most money or the most experience in being one, but rather those who do it out of love and caring. When decisions are made from a place of caring, rather than fear or greed, they are often the right decisions.

So if by some astronomically small chance she actually became POTUS, I believe the world would be better for it. 

Plus every American citizen would win a new car!

Archived