The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver has new Sports Franchise

kingofsurrey

http://www.bcrugbynews.com/show_news.cfm?ID=2574

It's an historic day for BC and Canadian rugby with an announcement that negotiations with MLR for a franchise in Vancouver in 2019 are almost complete. Negotiations have been ongoing and now look to wrapup this month.

Vancouver RFC is the company name, and the major investors are Karl Harrison of North Star Rugby in Vancouver and Adrian Balfour of Seattle. Both are investors in the Seattle Seawolves franchise as well which will begin operation in the MLR in the 2018 season.

It's exciting news and will give Canadian players a professional pathway on Canadian soil.

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Houston's franchise  just drew 5000 fans for their first exhibition game.

Will this impact the BC Lions attendance ? 

Wow great crowd, I'm just visiting their site now. Rugby is a different crowd than football imo, it seems you like one sport but not the other.

8 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Great stuff, the Rugby 7's is mad entertaining so I'd wager a lot of the people using that to get interested in the game will be willing to check out a game or 2. I know I will. I don't see it affecting the Lions much, but who knows. I do wonder where they'll play, and what they'll be named.

I think i will be supporting 

1) Canucks

2) Whitecaps

3) Vancouver Rugby Team

Very exciting times for Vancouver Sports fans. 

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Never watched professional rugby, but I bet I'd enjoy it. It was fun to play during gym class in high school, even as a small guy.

I've only ever watched rugby from the field, never in the bleachers. Being on the sidelines (or playing in the game) gives you an appreciation for how hard it is. There are no breaks aside from the half. A great rugby game makes football look like a wussy sport.

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think i will be supporting 

1) Canucks

2) Whitecaps

3) Vancouver Rugby Team

Very exciting times for Vancouver Sports fans. 

I wonder how they'll price the games.

6 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I prefer playing ultimate to watching it. Not a spectator sport in my opinion, but to each there own.

Likewise.  I didn't mind catching a game every now and again though.   This seems like a market where it should have worked.

Wow this is awesome!  Never even knew about MLR starting up.

I don't know a lot about the rules and stuff but man it is exciting.  Speed, hits and gritty.  Hope teams develop their own traditions for games like the New Zealand All Blacks Haka.

7 minutes ago, JV77 said:

Wow this is awesome!  Never even knew about MLR starting up.

I don't know a lot about the rules and stuff but man it is exciting.  Speed, hits and gritty.  Hope teams develop their own traditions for games like the New Zealand All Blacks Haka.

How about a Haida haka    ? 

BC style.   Love the idea.   

Archived