The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we too hard on our team?

mooby

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Let's see....

Sbisa was allegedly one of the worst defensemen in the NHL / worst contract ever candidate, right - but a top pairing D in Vegas.

Weber - wasn't fit for the press box - but re-signed for his 3rd and 4th years on one of the best bluelines in the NHL.  (to be fair, he wasn't good here his last year).

Edler - a lot of people would do anything to get him out of the lineup.....waivers, cap dump, you name it....but coach after NHL coach, and the Swedish National team, consider him a workhorse.

Ballard - lol - never had a chance here...

Meh - this list could go on for pages....so I'm stopping with just a few D....

Completely agree with your assessment on the d-core, and the fact that the fans are probably not always the best judge on the players respective talents.  I try to be constructive, but I've definitely had to check myself on my assessment of Gudbranson for example and try find some good qualities to his play, because I want to be able to look at a player and not only see what I qualify as negative, but have a list of his good points so I'm not a naysayer.  I think our biggest problem on the back end as of the moment is lack of big time shot, and not having the proper pieces working together.  Its hard to judge a defenseman singularly as it is usually a pairing that backs up each others weaknesses and exemplifies their strengths.  Probably why the Edler/Tanev pairing looks so good together, but split them apart, and Edler looks a little lost.  

Oh, and it probably doesn't help when we throw analytics crowd at the eye test crowd.  Eye test crowd loves Gudbranson for example, and analytics crowd loves Hutton.  And we can start the arguement flowing right there. :) Hope we find the proper players in the next few years to shore up that end of our team.

Lets see now,

our Canucks have never won a f#$%kin' Stanley Cup. Three finals and no CUP.

So no

we are not too hard on our millionaire retirees,and I don't  mean the sedins(the best players other than Bure and Linden this club has ever had).

So no,

I love this team and want the whole province of British Columbia and all Real Canuck Fans Worldwide to take the ride to a Stanley Cup win.

LOOK ,YOU ARE HARD ON YOUR KIDS AS WELL BECAUSE YOU WANT THE BEST FOR THEM AND WANT THEM TO BECOME HAPPY, INDEPENDENT. RESPONSIBLE, HONEST CITIZENS AND THE BEST THEY CAN BE.

Because you love them.

1 minute ago, DADDYROCK said:

Lets see now,

our Canucks have never won a f#$%kin' Stanley Cup. Three finals and no CUP.

So no

we are not too hard on our millionaire retirees,and I don't  mean the sedins(the best players other than Bure and Linden this club has ever had).

So no,

I love this team and want the whole province of British Columbia and all Real Canuck Fans Worldwide to take the ride to a Stanley Cup win.

LOOK ,YOU ARE HARD ON YOUR KIDS AS WELL BECAUSE YOU WANT THE BEST FOR THEM AND WANT THEM TO BECOME HAPPY, INDEPENDENT. RESPONSIBLE, HONEST CITIZENS AND THE BEST THEY CAN BE.

Because you love them.

Chill out bro 

7 hours ago, Incursio said:

Losing in 2011 sucked. Hard.

That was a team that should have won the Stanley Cup, and not winning it was hard to accept. I remember thinking "Holy ****, this is it. We did it" after Burrows scored in game 2. Even in the dying seconds of game 7 it was like my mind couldn't process the fact that we lost.

So, everyone looks to 2012 and what it's going to take to beat Boston in the rematch. There's no way we're not getting there again right? We just won the President's Trophy again after all. We're out in 5 games to LA.

Okay...Well, maybe they were tired, or looking ahead too much. It's rare that a team goes to back-to-back finals. This year (2013) we'll get there. Out in 4 straight. The window is slammed shut and that's it.

Now it's 2018 and we've missed the playoffs 3 of 4 years and we're going to miss them again this season. It's just...Frustrating. When you're this invested in a team and you want them to win so badly it makes you feel physically ill when they're eliminated each year, it's hard not to get angry, or upset after being so close. I don't think we'd see half the amount of raging if we won in 2011.

We are too hard on the team. They're trying (Even Edler), and they want to win.

We have a lot to be excited for in the next few years; Horvat, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Dahlin, Gadjovich, Lind, DiPietro, Lockwood, and more. Things are turning around, things will get better. People just need to be patient.

What gets forgotten by many on these boards (not saying you) is the hit to the head on Daniel from that pos Keith right before the playoffs. 

Imo that was the turning point with our team. Our best scorer has never been the same since, and it cost us another chance at the cup that year, no question. 

Owners then wanted us to try to get back to that position the next couple years, but it was too late (again, Daniel was not the same player, and that's a huge hit - no pun intended - to our team). 

The unofficial rebuild had begun when Kesler wanted out and was traded, but still Aquilini couldn't accept reality. Yet here we are now only a few years later and look at how stocked our cupboards are and even in a playoff position at the time Horvat was injured.

What Benning has been able to achieve once given the blue and green light - pun intended - to officially rebuild is short of remarkable, imo. 

So, yes, I think many fans are waaaay too hard on our team, both players and management. 

Absolutely there are people who are way to hard on this team, I'd even say there are a number of people on this forum who are beyond hard on this team. They seem to want to nitpick at every little detail they have no control of to the point where they might as well be off in some distant planet with some unrealistic ideals on where we should be. (Ironically, they often call themselves realists too lol).

Don't get me wrong btw. I welcome people being critical of players and negative about some thing, but too many times I have made points going against their points, only for them to only reply back to anyone who they can rebuttal against, rather than to me or other people who might have good points. (oh noes the horror of being potentially wrong or having to think about things!)

Despite doing statistically worse, I actually find these games more enjoyable. Last season, there was nothing. No chemistry, no playoffs, no fun. This season, despite how bad we are, we still look like a team.

Boeser is a gift from Quinn himself, Horvat and Baer were on the verge of a breakout, Eriksson looked like he found his groove, Vanek was just getting started, and MDZ was playing stellar. Goaltending wasn't nearly as garbage as it is now.

Despite everything, this is still the team we all cheer for, and I feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

As a team, well the team isn't very good, BUT, the players are trying their very best. I don't ever really diss a particular player. I will lament about a player not being good enough for the role he is placed in or a signing.

But I am pretty sure anyone would be hard pressed to find me calling a player horrible, maybe an occasional play of his but I place blame on those that run the team, those that build, assemble and occasionally the coach.

From what i've seen we were too hard on this team when we were elite. (2009-12) and now we're too easy on them ;) I expect the cycle to continue.

Media is always hard on the team (except sportsnet 650), so we just gotta be conscious of that

23 hours ago, oldnews said:

Let's see....

Sbisa was allegedly one of the worst defensemen in the NHL / worst contract ever candidate, right - but a top pairing D in Vegas.

But, but, but...

Weber - wasn't fit for the press box - but re-signed for his 3rd and 4th years on one of the best bluelines in the NHL.  (to be fair, he wasn't good here his last year).

But, but, but...

Edler - a lot of people would do anything to get him out of the lineup.....waivers, cap dump, you name it....but coach after NHL coach, and the Swedish National team, consider him a workhorse.

But, but, but...

But, but, but...

Yeah, it's not a bad idea to stop when faced with a lot of "butts" on the other side.

regards,  G.

13 hours ago, Qwags said:

Despite doing statistically worse, I actually find these games more enjoyable. Last season, there was nothing. No chemistry, no playoffs, no fun. This season, despite how bad we are, we still look like a team.

Boeser is a gift from Quinn himself, Horvat and Baer were on the verge of a breakout, Eriksson looked like he found his groove, Vanek was just getting started, and MDZ was playing stellar. Goaltending wasn't nearly as garbage as it is now.

Despite everything, this is still the team we all cheer for, and I feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Completely agree I'd rather watch us losing with Green's systems than the WD years.  There is for sure light, and while I'm not a team tank person I can see that a good draft pick is not the worst position to be in.  Should we not get boned in the lottery..

On 1/9/2018 at 1:49 PM, oldnews said:

Let's see....

I agree with you 100%.

So what's behind all this? Mob mentallity? A couple posters continually rag on a certain player for a while and people jump on the bandwagon.?

Seems half the time when a player is hated by the fanbase I can't really see the problem.

A few games ago I commented on what I thought was a decent game by markstrom having had 46 shots on goal. Another poster went on about the bad rebound bla bla bla

Seems to me non perfection isn't the same as incompetence

Seems to many people grew up on Neil macrae. 

(Whom I used to listen to only for a laugh, but not to take to seriously)

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎09 at 12:49 PM, oldnews said:

Let's see....

So what or who is left? That's the question! ::D

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎09 at 12:47 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I`m more frustrated with the play of the vets than I am for the younger guys or coaching or management. The Canucks have been losing since Bo went out and our supposed leadership isn`t getting it done. 

Henrik - $7

Daniel - $7

Eriksson - $6

Edler - $5

That`s $25,000,000 spent on players who aren`t doing their job well enough. I`ll give some credit to Vanek and Gagner, but only because of the lift Boeser`s given them. 

This is the more glaring concern even with all of the injuries. We were surviving all of the injuries until Bo went down. Coincidence?

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎09 at 1:00 PM, Incursio said:

Losing in 2011 sucked. Hard.

That was a team that should have won the Stanley Cup, and not winning it was hard to accept. I remember thinking "Holy ****, this is it. We did it" after Burrows scored in game 2. Even in the dying seconds of game 7 it was like my mind couldn't process the fact that we lost.

So, everyone looks to 2012 and what it's going to take to beat Boston in the rematch. There's no way we're not getting there again right? We just won the President's Trophy again after all. We're out in 5 games to LA.

Okay...Well, maybe they were tired, or looking ahead too much. It's rare that a team goes to back-to-back finals. This year (2013) we'll get there. Out in 4 straight. The window is slammed shut and that's it.

Now it's 2018 and we've missed the playoffs 3 of 4 years and we're going to miss them again this season. It's just...Frustrating. When you're this invested in a team and you want them to win so badly it makes you feel physically ill when they're eliminated each year, it's hard not to get angry, or upset after being so close. I don't think we'd see half the amount of raging if we won in 2011.

We are too hard on the team. They're trying (Even Edler), and they want to win.

We have a lot to be excited for in the next few years; Horvat, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Dahlin, Gadjovich, Lind, DiPietro, Lockwood, and more. Things are turning around, things will get better. People just need to be patient.

I think 2013 playoffs and 2014 playoffs and............Well it was probably because of the injuries similar to the final in 2011 why we lost. :P

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

I just think people's expectations aren't inline with reality and when reality hits they are very disappointed.

News flash: without injuries the Canucks suck, with injuries they really suck. They are not a fringe playoff team and that's ok. It's a rebuild.

Without injuries the Canucks were in a playoff spot. Then Bo went down. (This, and during a rebuild.) 

Why do so many fans on CDC not realize this? I feel like a broken record. 

On 2018-01-09 at 12:29 PM, mooby said:

I don’t normally start posts on here so bear with me.  Especially if this is a topic that has been beaten to death.  

The question is, are we too hard on our team?  Especially this year.

I know if I take a step back I am guilty of this.  In certain games I’ve yelled at my TV “Get rid of Nilson, Marky, Eriksson, Edler… trade for xxx yyyy whatever.”  

Yes we have player performance and team performance issues.  It isn’t an overnight fix to get us in a level of compete for the cup.  Most of us all know that.  Yet still, (and I am speaking for myself more than anyone else)we forget that when the game is on.

Does our level of devotion to our team actually perpetuate the god awful and borderline slanderous Vancouver media?  Adding more pressure on the team and the individual players that are singled out?

Would we be so critical if we got the cup in 2011?  Or has that led to us having less patience than other fans?

Sorry if this is a jumble of thoughts.  I’d just like to know people’s opinions.  I’ve been a die hard Canucks fan my entire life.  That will never change.  Sure a loss is depressing, but since I was a kid no matter what was going on I always had those guys that get out on the ice for us.   I’m proud of my home city of Vancouver, proud of my home team.  I know most if not all on here are too.  Does that pride translate in to unrealistic expectations?  The point of NHL hockey is to entertain the fans.  With the likes of Brock, JV18, Stetcher the past few games… we are being entertained.  We are also being shown that there is hope for the team we love.

Thanks for letting me vent and ask questions!

I would say yes, as a general comment, our fan base is a little too hard on our team.  Lots of unlucky breaks these last couple years as far as injuries go. But it's a work in progress.. we just have to be patient.  As Edmonton has learned there is no garuntees in this game.  Now if I was an oiler fan I would be losing my mind lol

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎09 at 1:28 PM, Davathor said:

Like I posted in the PGT - this team was predicted to be bottom 5 with a HEALTHY lineup. It's not the teams fault so many of you didn't believe it... cried foul, eastern bias, etc.

We have 2 career backups in net, a myriad of injuries to key players, and let's be honest here - a non playoff lineup. 

Of all seasons, this is one to sit back and enjoy watching Boeser, watching for flashes of our future core.. and watching the last peices of the best Canucks team ever play their last season or two.

We were doing fine before we lost arguably our next Captain in Bo. This and the massive line up of injuries is why we are at the bottom not because our team sucks. Thanks for the support though. ::D

19 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Without injuries the Canucks were in a playoff spot. Then Bo went down. (This, and during a rebuild.) 

Why do so many fans on CDC not realize this? I feel like a broken record. 

This is what I was thinking too. Its not like we came out of the gate totally sucking. A wheel fell off with the injuries and then ALL of the wheels fell off when Bo went down. The good thing is that it shows the coaches and management what the concerns of the team are and what the bright spots are. These are blatantly obvious and I hope they remember this when next year comes around and what changes need to be made.

22 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

I would say yes, as a general comment, our fan base is a little too hard on our team.  Lots of unlucky breaks these last couple years as far as injuries go. But it's a work in progress.. we just have to be patient.  As Edmonton has learned there is no garuntees in this game.  Now if I was an oiler fan I would be losing my mind lol

Imagine thinking you have won the lottery(a couple of times), and then after all of that, your team is STILL at the bottom of the standings. Bahahaha!!!:lol:

Archived